Hi I'm Steve, Whats your name?

Options
Hi everybody!
I have been a member of my fitness pal for a while now, but never really got into the community side of it. So I decided that today I will introduce myself to everybody. My name is Steve, I am 20 and living in Melbourne.

So heres my story.
For the past two years or so I have been really slack with my health and I want to get that back on track. After holidaying, eating some delicious foods and drinking A LOT of beer, I never really gave it a second thought. For a while I started to get back on track, exercising regularly and eating well, and I felt great. But soon after I started, I had a car accident, which rendered my right shoulder useless for the better part of three months (Too bad I am right handed). Then this is where I got even lazier. Since July, I have lived a very sedentary lifestyle, whilst not maintaining a caloric deficit, which in turn lead to a large amount of fat gain. I have gained approximately 10kg of fat (yes FAT, not muscle lol) since the accident, and for some reason, it only took me until now to do something about it.

Currently I am still struggling with the pain in my shoulder, but have finally had the energy and the motivation to pick up from where I left off. I am now eating a more controlled diet, lifting with my left arm, being very careful not to re-injure my right. Even going for jogs and light runs whilst in my sling, so far so good :)

I am aiming to drop the fat that I have gained, whilst earning a bit of muscle. I would really like to compete in one of those obstacle course runs, like tough mudder or the spartan race, but at the moment, I am in no condition to compete. Not only from my injury but my cardiovascular endurance has gone down the tubes! Hopefully I will be back to 100% soon, until then, I am just aiming to maintain.

But anyway, enough about me, tell me about you! I would love to get more involved with the my fitness pal community and make some new friends along the way.

Thanks for reading, Good luck everyone!

Replies

• AestheticStar
    AestheticStar Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Welcome back.

It's good that despite what happened, you are still willing to push hard & get back to a healthy point in your life. I, myself, have had many health problems (where surgery was needed), & it put me down & out for a few weeks, to a month or more, plus dealing with some other troubles. But I've continued to push when I'm back to where I can do the workouts.

Just be easy on the shoulder, but once you start to build up the strength in it again, it should start to ease up with the pain & discomfort.

Good luck! :)
  • steveoch
    steveoch Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hi Aesthetic Star, and thank you for your kind words and advice.

It is amazing to hear that you have continued to push through your surgery and your other troubles. My injuries weren't so bad to the extent where surgery was needed, so I can't imagine how hard it would have been for your to get back on track. I guess it is important for us both just to stay positive and motivated, and keep our goals in sight.

Don't give up, keep on pushing :) Good luck to you also!
  • Go4it1985
    Go4it1985 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Hello fellow Aussie :)

Welcome back! Sorry to hear about your health problems but good to see you've stepped up to the plate and ready to do something about it.

About me...
    Well I joined about a year ago but didn't get back into it. In the later part of last year I was working in a rather stressful job, I developed plantar fasciitis in my foot and had a flare up of sciatic back nerve pain (I was off for about a week).

I overate - I snacked often. This was my distraction and escape from stress. This resulted in about 10-15kg weight gain.

So that's my story lol.

Feel free to add me. I usually try to comment if I see good news ;)
  • AestheticStar
    AestheticStar Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Hi Aesthetic Star, and thank you for your kind words and advice.

It is amazing to hear that you have continued to push through your surgery and your other troubles. My injuries weren't so bad to the extent where surgery was needed, so I can't imagine how hard it would have been for your to get back on track. I guess it is important for us both just to stay positive and motivated, and keep our goals in sight.

Don't give up, keep on pushing :) Good luck to you also!

You're welcome. :)

Yeah I've had two surgeries so far (if I don't count my wisdom teeth being removed lol.), & both were major surgeries. Couldn't do anything for a while with the first one, & the second one, I had to wait about a month before I could exercise. It's always a struggle with any injury, or surgery, but it's good you continue & want to push on too. :)

I certainly won't give up, even on my worst days.