Night on the town, is there a healthier cocktail?

Options
The hubs and I are finally going out for a night!!! (Can you tell I'm excited?) We are going to a costume party and I'm so afraid of messing up the progress I've made. I want to enjoy myself and have a few drinks. I use to drink beer, ALOT of beer and I know how fattening that is. What are some better adult beverage choices? What do some of you enjoy when you go out?

Also it's a potluck style party and I need to bring a dish. Any good ideas that won't be to bad for my diet, but others wills enjoy too?

Replies

• carolina822
    carolina822 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I'm a wine gal. I LOVE beer, but it messes with my tummy something fierce, so red wine it is. If you can get a spritzer with half wine, half club soda, you can have twice as many drinks for the same calories.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options
    Any alcoholic beverage is usually high in calories. And alcohol inhibits fat burning (and any stored energy burning) till it's burned off out of your system.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Malachai76
    Options
    thats a stuff one i had a few beers for the first time in months the other months and two beers was nearly 500 calories, same as cider that high as well only low way is to have spirits but then your mixers will have calories not sure about wine don't drink it. As for food turkey is really low in calories and high in protein more so than chicken which is also good i like to add them to a sauce normally mushroom and peppers mushrooms onions, and either rice or pasta
  • sunsetzen
    sunsetzen Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    The last time I went out, I had gin and 7 for 200 cals, sambuca for 100, and white wine for 120. I saved up calories to drink.
  • dtimedwards
    dtimedwards Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Whisky neat
  • kennie2
    kennie2 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    cocktails = bloody merry is the least calorific
    beers = peroni, liefmans
    mixers = gin and slimline, vodka and diet coke/lemonade/no sugar cranberry
    wine = red wine is normally the least calorific, go for a dry red wine if you like that
  • briandahawaiian
    briandahawaiian Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Any alcoholic beverage is usually high in calories. And alcohol inhibits fat burning (and any stored energy burning) till it's burned off out of your system.

IDEA Fitness member

I'll stick with water on the rocks then :(
  • samrockrocks
    samrockrocks Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    vodka cranberries for me! As far as a dish... nothing comes to mind, sorry! I suggest Pinterest :)
  • Boofuls
    Boofuls Posts: 47 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

Didn't know about the fat burning thing. I read a really interesting article about the way in which alcohol calories are metabolised. Ever noticed that heavy drinkers tend to be skinny? I assumed it was because they were eating so little that their total calorie intake was low. Actually it seems that, at least in chronic heavy drinkers, we just don't absorb calories from alcohol. This is the paper - http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/54/6/976.full.pdf+html
  • cplanoue41
    cplanoue41 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    www.getdrunknotfat.com

Lots of good ideas here.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    just drink your face off.
    go have fun.
    just make sure to go and work it off.
    so many people deprive themselves of what they want,
    you can have what you want.
    just work it off.
    easy.
  • krodone
    krodone Posts: 10
    Options
    I always had whiskey and diet coke. Now that am not much of a whiskey fan anymore, Vodka Water with a lemon, or even diet 7 up. My friend back home has gotten a lot of advice to help her lose weight and they told her stick with clear liquids. White wine, vodka, gin, rum, etc. Good luck! The weekend are always where I slip. I always want to enjoy some drinks...once I enjoy a couple, they start going down so smooth and then I want a few more :(
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    Meh!! I would just go out enjoy whatever it was I wanted to drink and get up the next day and hit the gym and burn it out of my system.... You gotta pay to play..... lol Have Fun..... It is only one night...... :drinker:
  • duanepuddin
    Options
    Im not sure about your area, but in Canada there is a beer called Molsen 67. It only has 67 Calories per bottle. Its a better option than regular beer. Im in the same boat right now. I want to go out on Saturday and am nervous about ruining my progress this week. I plan on hitting the gym and sticking to the low Cal beer. Hope ya have fun! :)
  • Samstan101
    Samstan101 Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    Meh!! I would just go out enjoy whatever it was I wanted to drink and get up the next day and hit the gym and burn it out of my system.... You gotta pay to play..... lol Have Fun..... It is only one night...... :drinker:

Exactly my plan for a day out I have tomorrow. I want to enjoy myself not be counting & logging. I've a few cals 'banked' this week and will be back on plan on Sunday.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    vodka = 60 calories an ounce...

or eat less during the day and then get your drink on ..

one night of drinking it s not going to ruin your progress...
  • furniem
    furniem Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    just drink your face off.
    go have fun.
    just make sure to go and work it off.
    so many people deprive themselves of what they want,
    you can have what you want.
    just work it off.
    easy.

I agree with this 100% Just go have fun. If this is a once in a while thing then dont worry about it. Just enjoy and dont feel guilty. Life is meant to be enjoyed. It is short enough as it is. Have fun! I will be doing the same thing tonight!
  • NRBreit
    NRBreit Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Log it and count the alcohol calories as carbs. If it fits into your daily calorie limits/goals, no reason to deprive yourself of a fun night!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options
    Just for the record I'm not against drinking alcohol. I was just stating that looking for alcohol with low calories may be futile. Just don't drink a lot if that's your concern.

IDEA Fitness member
  • Casstevens133
    Casstevens133 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Go and enjoy your night out and drink what you like - one night is not going to hurt at all. In fact it is more likely to keep you focused if you have a break occasionally! As for pot luck dish - why not take one of your own favourite low cal dishes - then you'll have the perfect night out! Enjoy !!! :-)