Eating at a thai restaurant! Help!

Options
Hi,

I have to eat at a thai restaurant tonight for work and need help selecting a healthy dish. I was going to stick to salads, soups, and grills, however... does any one know if stir-fry is generally okay? Or any of the curries?

UGH... why cant all restaurants post calorie information.

Thank!

Leah.

Replies

• brittanybaby87
    brittanybaby87 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I personally like pad thai gai its delish made with rice noddles and lots of veggies and peanuts. The curries are really good as well the gaeng gai which is either red or yellow curry and chicken is really good. Thai restaurants are a lot like indian restaurant in the fact that they do big bold flavors...enjoy and don't stress it too much...usually you can take the left overs to go or ask for a childs portion...hope I helped!

Brittany
  • nikilis
    nikilis Posts: 2,305 Member
    Options
    first off, get tom yum goong - its the bomb. thats tom yum with prawns.

also the papaya salad is also another kick *kitten* dish, if they serve this they are more authentic thai.

you should eat what you want, even if its over your calorie limit for the day.

if you have a meal like that once a week, you it wont hinder your weightloss.

just log it.
  • cedarblack
    cedarblack Posts: 63 Member
    Options

also the papaya salad is also another kick *kitten* dish, if they serve this they are more authentic thai.

just log it.

Seconded - these are my two favourite Thai dishes.
  • FranceyPants
    FranceyPants Posts: 98 Member
    Options

just log it.

Seconded - these are my two favourite Thai dishes.

YUM YOU GUYS! Good choices

My personal favourite is a crispy fish salad (I think it's called yum pla dook foo or something). The thing about Thai salads is they're crazy tasty/flavoursome but still lower calorie than the fried noodles.

If you're watching your calorie intake don't eat a whole plate of phad thai to yourself, that'll be like 1000 calories. But definitely try a bit of everything!
  • itsfruitcake
    itsfruitcake Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I'd stay away from noodles (and pad thai...) if they're fried. I'm sure they'll do some kind of veggie stir fry with boiled rice, just make sure it's not in coconut milk.

They might also have big bowls of noodle soup with veggies (and stuff like chicken or tofu), which are usually super tasty (lemongrass, thai basil, fresh coriander... mmhh!!) and filling.

I find salads are always hit and miss, sometimes they're awesome, sometimes you get lettuce with a few things sprinkled on them, which is really frustrating. I'd rather eat something a bit unhealthier than have a frustrating meal :D

Alternatively: get a pad thai because pad thai is THE BEST, eat only half it it's a big portion and ask them to pack up the rest for tomorrow (if you're not going out for drinks afterwards).

Regardless of what you order, I think it's most important to enjoy the meal and not overeat. Having a small portion of something super tasty will be more rewarding than ordering something you don't enjoy just because it's "healthy", or ordering something "bad", eating it all and then feeling guilty afterwards. Restaurant portions are usually huge, so I always have to remind myself to not order starters in addition to mains, drink plenty of water, and stop eating early enough!

And I'm going to try and figure out how to cook a pad thai now :laugh:
  • leahshepherd
    leahshepherd Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for your help! I will definitely consider pad thai if I am feeling a little naughty and a soup if I feel like being less naughty. The place I am going does some seriously amazing salads ... but for some reason my brain doesn't like the idea of salads for dinner, and I would just end up getting something calorie loaded instead. I guess the best thing about thai food is that everything is always pretty tasty :)!

For fruit cake: here is a skinny taste pad thai recipe that is no where as good as the real thing... but is still pretty tasty :) . I make it with chicken instead of tofu.

http://www.skinnytaste.com/2012/06/shrimp-pad-thai-on-lighter-side.html