Totally off topic: windows 8

Options
Wilhellmina
Wilhellmina Posts: 757 Member
I hate it, I hate it, I hate it! Ever since I got a new computer with windows 8 I got nothing but troubles with the internet. The pages keep on loading, but simply don't open. My hub has windows 7 and on his laptop internet runs like a high speed train, but I can wait for ages to get certain pages opened, UGHHH!

Anyone facing similar problems and more important: is there any other solution then thowing my computer out of the window?

Replies

• StheK
    StheK Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    I hate it too, but for completely different reasons. You might have a different problem- I am not sure if bad internet is a typical Windows 8 issue.
  • j0705
    j0705 Posts: 185
    Options
    sounds to me like your husbands taking up your bandwidth with whatever hes doing online .. downloading etc.? and its nothing to do with windows 8.

i do hate 8 myself it drives me insaine trying to find things on my laptop grrrrr
  • Wilhellmina
    Options
    When I searched on google it seems more got this problem. I tried so many 'solutions' already, it works for a wee while and then it starts all over again...
  • Wilhellmina
    Options
    Happens also when my husband is not online by the way. Can't even place an order at the moment...
  • HealthyVitamins
    HealthyVitamins Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    really can't see how that could be related windows 8, what browser are you using?
  • j0705
    j0705 Posts: 185
    Options
    ive recently had that problem but it wasnt windows 8 i dont think...have you spoken to your server?

ive just had them monitor mine for 24 hours.. it dropped out 8 times and was 0.03 instead of 8 for the majority of the time. servers need their *kitten* kicked into touch now and then.
  • kymarai
    kymarai Posts: 3,615 Member
    Options
    I too hate Windows 8. In my case it is on my husband's computer. I just can't figure it out and I can be pretty good on computers. It just frustrates me! Good luck!
  • vtmoon
    vtmoon Posts: 3,436 Member
    Options
    Trying trouble shooting it for people, it sucks.

Windows 8 has terrible priority settings.

Can you check for me and tell me if your computer is set to power saving mode? you can find out by going into power management. If it is turn it off and let me know if that helps.
  • minuz5
    minuz5 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Omg, so many haters :D I reinstalled to windows 7 and problem solved. But in long run, I would go for mac...
  • MrSum1
    MrSum1 Posts: 6
    Options
    You can format your system and install Win 7 rather than throwing your system. By the way I don't think your internet issue is related to win 8. Win 8 is very good if you know how to use it.
  • Wilhellmina
    Options
    Yeah I will see if I can install windows 7 instead of 8. The problem is not with all pages, certain pages just hardly open. Next to that the whole layout is a nightmare. Way too complicated for a technophob.
  • jconnon
    jconnon Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    i bought a new PC for my 72 year old mother who had an older XP machine. By the time I got done setting the computer with Win8 on it for her I was ready to kill someone. I am not a Microsoft fan to begin with but the whole setup came off as a Apple closed garden money grab to me. I didn't like it an will build a Win7 machine first before I buy a Win8 machine.
  • Wilhellmina
    Options
    i bought a new PC for my 72 year old mother who had an older XP machine. By the time I got done setting the computer with Win8 on it for her I was ready to kill someone. I am not a Microsoft fan to begin with but the whole setup came off as a Apple closed garden money grab to me. I didn't like it an will build a Win7 machine first before I buy a Win8 machine.

Ahem, just like your mom I was working with an 15 year old beast which had XP, it went all so well, so easy, but passed away unfortunately! I just can't get used to W8...
  • awtume9
    awtume9 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I just got a new computer at work that has Windows 8 and I seriously cannot figure this ish out. I think they tried to hard and now it's all complicated.
  • vtmoon
    vtmoon Posts: 3,436 Member
    Options
    Did you try my fix?
  • greeneyes0809
    greeneyes0809 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I actually really like windows 8. Granted, it does take some time to learn and get used to, but now that I have I really enjoy it. I did take the time to go through google some tips and tricks though and read through some manuals. All new things take time!
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    I hate it, I hate it, I hate it!

We are still rolling Win7 for all PC platforms on campus. out testing and experience with Win* for an enterprise roll out has been abysmal at best. Though, I have updated several tablets with Win8 and that works well. Just not for desktops yet.

Mostly it has been drivers and compliance issues.
  • JilloftheDead
    JilloftheDead Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I hated windows 8 initially, then I upgraded to a touch screen.. and it's much more fluid!