What food to eat to lose fat and gain muscle?

Options
Hello everybody!

I want to ask - do we lose fat simply by caloric deficit, then build muscle by getting enough protein and lifting weights?

I think I must be doing something right - I started counting calories and doing 30 day shred about 2 months ago, and I look a bit thinner, and my jeans are looser, and I am starting to see some muscle definition in my arms (for the first time in my life! even when I was size 4 back in high school doing ballet etc. I never had buff arms, just skinny arms). A few days ago I started using heavier weights.

Just want to check exactly what I should be looking at - calories, protein, anything else? I like these muscles I am starting to see - want to make sure I am eating right to keep that up, but also want to make sure I continue to lose fat.

Thanks in advance!

Voodoo Lady

Replies

• Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    You want roughly 1g protein per lb of bodyweight (or of LBM if you know your bf%)
    You want roughly .5g fat per lb of bodyweight (^^^)
    Fill your remaining calories with carbs.

If you really want to lose inches, you will want to eat at a deficit. If you are interested in building muscle, eat at a surplus. If you are *really* close to where you want to be, eat a small deficit on rest days and a small surplus on training days, be patient, and lift heavy.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    You won't gain muscle eating at a deficit. You can maintain lean body mass with weights and you may notice more muscle definition as the fat goes but you'll need to cut the fat then eat to build the muscle. There's no particular foods to eat but you'll need protein for muscle repair and feeding.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Hello everybody!

I want to ask - do we lose fat simply by caloric deficit, then build muscle by getting enough protein and lifting weights?

I think I must be doing something right - I started counting calories and doing 30 day shred about 2 months ago, and I look a bit thinner, and my jeans are looser, and I am starting to see some muscle definition in my arms (for the first time in my life! even when I was size 4 back in high school doing ballet etc. I never had buff arms, just skinny arms). A few days ago I started using heavier weights.

Just want to check exactly what I should be looking at - calories, protein, anything else? I like these muscles I am starting to see - want to make sure I am eating right to keep that up, but also want to make sure I continue to lose fat.

Thanks in advance!

Voodoo Lady

Yep, you've got the basics down.

Building new muscle tissue (not the same thing as getting stronger or gaining definition) is slow, and it's even slower on a deficit. So if you are eating at a deficit to lose weight, don't expect much in terms of muscle gain. You can certainly get stronger, and you can most definitely gain definition, but you wont' be building much new muscle tissue. There is some confusion about all this among many people, so I only say that to make sure we're clear.

Keep a modest deficit to lose weight. You'll see that on teh scale and in how your clothes fit. Exercise, especially high intensity work (cardio or heavy lifting) will help preserve the muscle you already have, so that as you lose weight, a greater percentage of that weight is fat. There are health benefits to this, obviously, but this will also impact how you look, body composition, definition, etc.
  • somerisagirlsname
    somerisagirlsname Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    You can not gain muscle mass if you are eating at a deficit, and eating at a deficit is essential for weight (fat) loss. You should still lift though, to keep the muscle you already have.
  • jacksonpt
    Options
    You can not gain muscle mass if you are eating at a deficit, and eating at a deficit is essential for weight (fat) loss. You should still lift though, to keep the muscle you already have.

Can't as in no one can under any circumstances gain any amount of muscle mass? I'm always skeptical about absolute/blanket statements like that.

• RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options

Can't as in no one can under any circumstances gain any amount of muscle mass? I'm always skeptical about absolute/blanket statements like that.

Can't as in only the morbidly obese or extremely untrained are unable to put on real measureable mass in a caloric deficit.

OP is dong a cardio routine in 30DS, not a strength/resistance program.
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    You won't gain muscle eating at a deficit. You can maintain lean body mass with weights and you may notice more muscle definition as the fat goes but you'll need to cut the fat then eat to build the muscle. There's no particular foods to eat but you'll need protein for muscle repair and feeding.

DITTO
  • VoodooAborisha
    VoodooAborisha Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Building new muscle tissue (not the same thing as getting stronger or gaining definition) is slow, and it's even slower on a deficit. So if you are eating at a deficit to lose weight, don't expect much in terms of muscle gain. You can certainly get stronger, and you can most definitely gain definition, but you wont' be building much new muscle tissue. There is some confusion about all this among many people, so I only say that to make sure we're clear.

Thank you for clarifying the difference between gaining muscle and getting more muscle definition. I think the latter is what I am after.

I was doing just cardio for 2 months, saw no changes, then I started the 30 Day shred (weights/resistance with a little cardio stuck in between), and I am finally seeing the results I want. I have just upped my weights and am seeing definition coming faster. So should I probably eat more protein to help maintain what I have?
  • jacksonpt
    Options

Can't as in only the morbidly obese or extremely untrained are unable to put on real measureable mass in a caloric deficit.

I guess I struggle with the "no one ever can build any muscle on any deficit" statements. I agree that 30ds probably isn't going to give mass gains, but I think very slow, very modest gains can be made on a modest deficit with a good weight training routine.

I don't have any proof of this, but I've read far too many anecdotal claims and talked to trainers/coaches whom I a great deal of respect for who say they've seen it in their clients.

Sure, people may well be eating more than they think, which could turn a slight deficit into a slight surplus, but to I struggle with such absolute statements as no one ever, at all, under any deficit.
  • RGv2
    Options

I guess I struggle with the "no one ever can build any muscle on any deficit" statements. I agree that 30ds probably isn't going to give mass gains, but I think very slow, very modest gains can be made on a modest deficit with a good weight training routine.

I don't have any proof of this, but I've read far too many anecdotal claims and talked to trainers/coaches whom I a great deal of respect for who say they've seen it in their clients.

Sure, people may well be eating more than they think, which could turn a slight deficit into a slight surplus, but to I struggle with such absolute statements as no one ever, at all, under any deficit.

And for every anecdotal claim you've read or gotten from a coach (ya, that's a good source) or trainer, another person could do the same disproving the claim.

Is there a small percentage of specjul snowflakes out there, probably, but giving an OP the hope they are one of these 1 out of 100 is like telling one of these hundreds of OP's everyday that say "I'm doing everything right, why am I gaining", it's probably their thyroid.
  • jacksonpt
    Options

And for every anecdotal claim you've read or gotten from a coach (ya, that's a good source) or trainer, another person could do the same disproving the claim.

Is there a small percentage of specjul snowflakes out there, probably, but giving an OP the hope they are one of these 1 out of 100 is like telling one of these hundreds of OP's everyday that say "I'm doing everything right, why am I gaining", it's probably their thyroid.

That's a fair point.

I guess for me it comes down to context. I see nothing wrong nor misleading that telling someone they can see very slow, very modest gains on a very small deficit assuming proper nutrition and lifting, but that they will likely be better served focusing their efforts on either weight loss or muscle gains... as opposed to simply saying gains on a deficit can't happen.

Or maybe I'm just being overly optimistic/naive about what really happens on a deficit, regardless of how small it may be?

Just out of curiosity, were you serious when you said coaches and trainers were good sources? I couldn't tell if that was sarcasm or not.

• Phoenix_Warrior
    Phoenix_Warrior Posts: 1,633 Member
    Options
    I agree with mokey41. There are no particular foods to eat apart from the avoidance of sugars and the increase in protein. Exercise will take care of the muscle building while the proteins repair the muscles. I'd recommend taking a looks at this website for some more easy and practical tips

sugars are fine and tasty and I shall never touch your dirty link!
  • fivethreeone
    fivethreeone Posts: 8,196 Member
    Options

outside of small "noob gains" the only studies I have seen that show this is possible used obese subjects and the gains were very minimal.

It is pretty safe to say there are no muscle gains being made.

OP, the reason it looks like your muscles are growing is because you are training the muscle you currently have and are stripping the fat off it so you can see it.
  • RGv2
    Options

That's a fair point.

I guess for me it comes down to context. I see nothing wrong nor misleading that telling someone they can see very slow, very modest gains on a very small deficit assuming proper nutrition and lifting, but that they will likely be better served focusing their efforts on either weight loss or muscle gains... as opposed to simply saying gains on a deficit can't happen.

Or maybe I'm just being overly optimistic/naive about what really happens on a deficit, regardless of how small it may be?

Just out of curiosity, were you serious when you said coaches and trainers were good sources? I couldn't tell if that was sarcasm or not.

Sarcasm about coaches. Coaches rarely to never know anything about lifting, fitness, or nutrition. They know the game they coach. I agree/am skeptical about gaining in a deficit, but with that said the nutrition has to be so on point and the same with the lifting regimen to see such small gains, for most of us in here it's just not going to happen. Not all of us, but the 99.9%'ers.
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    The only way one can assert an increase in lean mass while chronically assuming a deficit is if they take body composition analysis from baseline and repeatedly over the course of several months. The reason being that there is no current technology accurate enough to reveal significant changes in body composition in a short period of time.
  • littlemissslim5
    Options
    Hey!

Great work so far, you should be proud!

With that said in order to maintain your progress, just make sure you continue to eat clean with lean proteins, low glycemic carbs, and lots of veggies and salad. Continue to stay hydrated so that you have the energy to continue to work out as you're lifting heavier weights. As you've probably noticed, as you lift heavier the body uses much more oxygen in order to sustain the stress to the muscle, so be sure you are taking care of yourself both before and after lifts.

Also, continue to switch up your workouts. I try to do a new program or activity every 12 weeks, but every week I'll switch up the exercise somehow (grip position, stance etc.) Once the body gets use to a certain workout or routine, it finds ways to become more efficient in the exercise and use less energy. This keeps the body guessing, which will help the body continue to progress.

The most important thing I would recommend you do is take your measurements and set goals. When you have something you are moving towards, and looking at it regularly, you are much less likely to regress to where you were and much more likely to get where you would like to get.

Congratulations so far, and good luck in the future!

Jane Williams,
    www.littlemissslim.com
  • JorisSt
    Options
    Food with lots of proteins and carbohydrates...

Always eat enouf and a couple of times each day. Every 2-3 hours; then you always have intake of calories.

Joris S.
    musclemaximum.org