The One Where Joke Turned to Reality - Not So Funny!

Options
I told my husband a couple of weeks ago that it seemed every time I get my motivation up to renew my workout regime, I either get sick or injured. At that point I hadn't been sick in over a year.

I started back hard core about a month ago - 3 weeks in, nasty stomach bug. 3 days after that, nasty cold (still got it!) And 3 days ago I fell off a horse and injured my back - just a muscle strain, not serious or long term, but impossible to workout. Walking is barely successful.

So here I sit, facing my scale this morning, knowing I did well, considering, but knowing I'll be disappointed because of being unable to get in any exercise.

I've stuck well to my calorie goals, kept up with my IF, so I just hope these things haven't wreaked too much havoc on my system this week! Just feeling a bit down, because I'd really really really like to be out walking my dog right now. And riding my bike later. And doing a 5K. walk. And riding the s##t out of that stupid horse! ;) lol

I will be quiet now.

Replies

• ChrisLindsay9
    ChrisLindsay9 Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    I told my husband a couple of weeks ago that it seemed every time I get my motivation up to renew my workout regime, I either get sick or injured.
    I can relate to the injured part. Every time I ever tried to start exercising, I would end up injured as well. If I tried running, I'd pull a muscle or get lower back discomfort. If I tried lifting, I'd strain a muscle or get lower back spasms.

I decided to hire a personal trainer for some simple strength training. And it was a great move. My trainer was aware of my personal history with various maladies and weaknesses, and helped me build a foundation of strength and fitness. Over two years later, I went from never exercising to now, where I'm participating in powerlifting competitions.

I tell you this because it's possible that you, like I, just need some help in getting started? It's possible that my previous attempts were a combination of "don't know what I'm doing" and "trying way too hard/bringing too much intensity" which would result in an immediate setback?

So if you have the resources, I would consider seeking out a personal trainer for a couple sessions a week with an emphasis on resistance training. If you try it out for 6-8 weeks, I think you'll see the benefit. And it'll help give you that beginning level of conditioning and experience of which to build a sustainable program around.

However you decide to proceed, just don't quit trying. It's never too late to start, but you can minimize the regret for not having started sooner! :) Good luck!
  • featherbrained
    featherbrained Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I would say that was def the problem when I started 4 years ago at 350 pounds. Gosh, I pulled, strained, sprained something everytime I went out! :P

This time around, I'm pretty familiar with my own weaknesses, and know to stretch and warm up; this injury was a total fluke.

However, I would love to hire a personal trainer. That's great advice, and I thank you for it! Best of luck to you going forward :)
  • PippiNe
    PippiNe Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I used to joke with the hubby that every time I started working out and losing some weight, he'd thwart my efforts and end up getting me pregnant (happened twice). So now every time TOM is late, I get all worried - lol.

Don't worry, probably just a run of bad luck. Make sure to take a multivitamin and maybe an immune booster vitamin (echinera sp?) to help your body and your body's immune system stay strong enough to fight off future viruses. And be careful :o) If the fall from the horse was a result of lightheadedness, be sure you are getting enough calories. I had lightheadedness problems early on when I wasn't eating back my exercise calories. Good luck!
  • featherbrained
    featherbrained Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    @PippiNe, too funny! I can see how you might be a bit gun shy ;) lol

Unfortunately, I can't blame my fall on anything medical. Just not paying attention. He went forward, I went backward, ta da!

I am taking extra vitamins... been so long since I'd had anything (years since I had a stomach bug!) I had to run out and stock up.

I'm going to try a slow easy walk this morning. I did have success this week, 3.5lbs, and I'm proud of that. :)