The Ohio University Study on CrossFit

Options

Replies

• issyfit
    issyfit Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    I would just like to point out that Ohio University in Athens and Ohio State University in Columbus are two different colleges. Some of you are confusing them. This study was done at Ohio State.
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    The two points I haven't seen made (or glossed over)…

:happy: Drop out rate was BECAUSE OF INJURY. 11 people from the original group quit … 2 because of time and the other 9 because of some sort of injury. If 16% of people in a type of exercise sustain some sort of injury, that sounds risky. (The article did also bring up possible risk/gain concerns).

:happy: The article pointed out that HIPT may be a good way to increase aerobic fitness and endurance as an adjunct (in addition to) other athletic training workouts. In this case, it is talking about helping athletes increase aerobic capacity. It isn't a replacement for their other workouts/training.

I said it yesterday … CrossFit isn't necessarily "bad" if you find a reasonably prices program that pays attention to all the safety issues. It's probably quite a good exercise! But it isn't the ONLY good exercise out there. Most of the "haters" don't hate CrossFit, they hate that some of it's followers (probably not even the majority) are trying to push it as the best workout for anybody and any goals and that everyone needs to love CF and give up their old outdated methods of working out. CrossFit, especially CrossFit alone, won't help reach some people's goals because those goals go in a different direction. And there's nothing wrong with that.
  • rbear713
    rbear713 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Well, ****. I actually dug crossfit for the three months or so I did it - it was intense. It helped me improve my fitness level. It was fun. It POUNDED THE HELL out of my shoulders, back, and knees. So, no thanks for me.

So, not negative on CF here, and yes, this study seems inherently .... pointless.

What sucks is when I clicked on the post I thought it would be interesting reading.... BOOOOOOOOO same old ****!!
  • raw_meal
    raw_meal Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Why must you post this crap EVERY SINGLE DAY?

This is why so much of the fitness community downs crossfit. It is not that we do not like crossfit, it is that we do not like 90% of crossfitters who have the constant compulsive need to be validated that what they are doing is considered a workout to everyone else.

This is exactly why crossfitters experience so much "hate." Most of you are like the digital jehovah witness' of the fitness community. Don't you have enough fully dedicated CF websites to spew useless studies about obvious general observations with working out? Or is this like a mating call you use for other crossfitters to see so you can all come in a thread and begin the buttloving?

It's information if you don't like it don't read it. You know all this stuff already so move on. I posted it because I see negativity on CF. So I put it up for others. Not you. Go post I lift weights all day because you have time. I won't read it.

That is the thing. I come in, see something labeled crossfit so and so and think, "you know what, maybe today might be the day! Maybe today something is posted that isn't completely laughable, I shall click on this link." Then I see your avatar and my heart instantly drops as I know there is maybe only 5% chance in hell that you might possibly post something of real value other than "working out helps your fitness, crossfit number 1!" Then I browse and realize that the 5% chance I give you needs to be re-adjusted down to maybe 1% just because I do not believe anything is impossible.

AND

You see so much negativity towards crossfit because people like you make these threads like this. I honestly feel bad for the crossfit population that does want to be taken seriously or has something USEFUL to post.

Thanks for your pity I appreciate it and you have it all wrong. Again info. There is negative facts on crossfit in the study. It's just a study get over it. Crossfit is bad for you. It cost too much. People who do it are losers and can't work out on their own. Got the message. Move on to beating your kids if you have any.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options

This is why so much of the fitness community downs crossfit. It is not that we do not like crossfit, it is that we do not like 90% of crossfitters who have the constant compulsive need to be validated that what they are doing is considered a workout to everyone else.

This is exactly why crossfitters experience so much "hate." Most of you are like the digital jehovah witness' of the fitness community. Don't you have enough fully dedicated CF websites to spew useless studies about obvious general observations with working out? Or is this like a mating call you use for other crossfitters to see so you can all come in a thread and begin the buttloving?

It's information if you don't like it don't read it. You know all this stuff already so move on. I posted it because I see negativity on CF. So I put it up for others. Not you. Go post I lift weights all day because you have time. I won't read it.

That is the thing. I come in, see something labeled crossfit so and so and think, "you know what, maybe today might be the day! Maybe today something is posted that isn't completely laughable, I shall click on this link." Then I see your avatar and my heart instantly drops as I know there is maybe only 5% chance in hell that you might possibly post something of real value other than "working out helps your fitness, crossfit number 1!" Then I browse and realize that the 5% chance I give you needs to be re-adjusted down to maybe 1% just because I do not believe anything is impossible.

AND

You see so much negativity towards crossfit because people like you make these threads like this. I honestly feel bad for the crossfit population that does want to be taken seriously or has something USEFUL to post.

Thanks for your pity I appreciate it and you have it all wrong. Again info. There is negative facts on crossfit in the study. It's just a study get over it. Crossfit is bad for you. It cost too much. People who do it are losers and can't work out on their own. Got the message. Move on to beating your kids if you have any.
    Well, that certainly helps your case.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Move on to beating your kids if you have any.

So you decide to come to MFP to combat the anti-CrossFit negativity...........

And you hope to accomplish this by not only posting unscientific BS "studies" that you tout as proof of how awesome CrossFit is, but also by calling established, intelligent members voicing valid criticisms of your posts child abusers.

Given your actions, it's far more likely you're extremely anti-CrossFit and are deliberately attempting to make CrossFit supporters look bad.
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,661 Member
    Options
    And every study needs a control group. Period.

If there isn't one, it's not a "emperical, controlled experiment", it's advertising.

fixed it for ya
  • raw_meal
    raw_meal Posts: 96 Member
    Options

AND

What case? Just put it out there. The experts on the forum have spoken. The study is crap. You assume too much.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    For the record, I am not anti-crossfit . I am anti-meaningless study.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    What case? Just put it out there. The experts on the forum have spoken. The study is crap. You assume too much.

The internet is big. Many people on MFP actually do have formal education in experimental design and research, as well as health sciences.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    Also, note that this study has not been published anywhere. It has not been subjected to peer review. If this study were submitted to any peer review process, it would be immediately sent back.

This is not science. Just because it has the format of a scientific article (more or less) doesn't mean it is "information."

This unpublished article is noise. It is a terrible experimental design and has produced no data whatsoever.
  • FatHuMan1
    FatHuMan1 Posts: 1,028 Member
    Options

This really doesn't count as information. It's barely noise.

I can understand you wanting to advocate for Crossfit, but this is not the way to do it. Touting this sort of BS "study" as some sort of proof only creates resentment and outrage. All you're doing by posting this sort of thread is creating more backlash against CF.

This. As someone who came into this thread with no preconceived notion of Crossfit, after reading the entire thread, this pretty much sums up my feelings about this subject. If you're going to post something as "coming out on top" ergo "being the best" and then vehemently defend it in the face of fair criticism you really need a better argument. I now leave this thread with a disdain and cynicism towards Crossfit that I didn't have before I entered it, all because you chose to champion this article.

928f85cc-b757-4777-8fe9-c0ea21dcc9d7_zpsa06e6842.jpg
  • No_Finish_Line
    Options
    agree that the experiment would have been more meaningful if there was a control group that ate the same diet and did not do the exercise.

but they do compare the research to past experiments which is not at all a rare practice, though you can argue amoungst yourselves how valid the conclusions draw will be.

This article appears in the 'journal of strength and conditioning research', a peer-reviewed publication. If they think the research is worth of discussion, well i guess i value thier opinion over a bunch of forum posters.

IF there is really anything to be gained from the article, it may be this:

Past HIIT training has revealed
    similar improvements in VO2max. Astorino et. al reported more than 6% increase in absolute
    VO2max, and 5.5% increase in relative VO2max, while Trulik et al reported a 13.4% increase in
    relative VO2max in response to HIIT. Our finding that improvement of VO2max in subjects who
    are stratified as well above average is at odds with previous work using a HIIT protocol that
    finds no improvement of VO2max(5). Even HIIT studies in well trained subjects using hyperoxia
    have previously failed to find an improvement of oxygen consumption in subjects of comparably
    high VO2max(9, 11). Compared to HIIT, our results indicate a possible superior role for HIPT in
    the improvement of maximal aerobic capacity in well-trained subjects. Future studies are needed
    in this area.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    agree that the experiment would have been more meaningful if there was a control group that ate the same diet and did not do the exercise.

but they do compare the research to past experiments which is not at all a rare practice, though you can argue amoungst yourselves how valid the conclusions draw will be.

This article appears in the 'journal of strength and conditioning research', a peer-reviewed publication. If they think the research is worth of discussion, well i guess i value thier opinion over a bunch of forum posters.

IF there is really anything to be gained from the article, it may be this:

Past HIIT training has revealed
    similar improvements in VO2max. Astorino et. al reported more than 6% increase in absolute
    VO2max, and 5.5% increase in relative VO2max, while Trulik et al reported a 13.4% increase in
    relative VO2max in response to HIIT. Our finding that improvement of VO2max in subjects who
    are stratified as well above average is at odds with previous work using a HIIT protocol that
    finds no improvement of VO2max(5). Even HIIT studies in well trained subjects using hyperoxia
    have previously failed to find an improvement of oxygen consumption in subjects of comparably
    high VO2max(9, 11). Compared to HIIT, our results indicate a possible superior role for HIPT in
    the improvement of maximal aerobic capacity in well-trained subjects. Future studies are needed
    in this area.

If you looked at those referenced studies, 5 - was 2wks @ 3 sessions a week, 9 was 4wks @ 2 sessions a week, 11 was 6wks @ 3 sessions a week vs this study which was 10wks @ 5 sessions a week.

If the author wanted to do a better comparison, they should have done testing after a similar number of sessions and recorded results vs just at the beginning and end
  • jeffd247
    jeffd247 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    If the "study" had been done at the University of Michigan, we could buy it. It was, howeve,r done at Ohio State so it is total garbage

OSU SUCKS!!!!
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options

AND

You try to garner respect for Crossfit by labelling those disagreeing with you as child abusers. Not the best strategy.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    So vigorous exercise reduces body fat and improves cardio capacity. No surprise there.
    The study was probably done by a Crossfitting grad student at Ohio U. as part of their thesis.

Exactly.
  • No_Finish_Line
    Options

If you looked at those referenced studies, 5 - was 2wks @ 3 sessions a week, 9 was 4wks @ 2 sessions a week, 11 was 6wks @ 3 sessions a week vs this study which was 10wks @ 5 sessions a week.

If the author wanted to do a better comparison, they should have done testing after a similar number of sessions and recorded results vs just at the beginning and end

definetly if things were different the information could be more meanful.

presumably they chose the best comparisions avilable.

i'm just saying that if it appears in a peer viewed journal they've already picked apart the methodology etc, and it apparently passed muster with what counts as experts in this area of study.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    So HIPT (crossfit style training) reaps similar rewards to HIIT yet has a higher propensity for overuse injuries.

That begs the question surely it is better use HIIT which gives you the same results but less likelihood of being injured and out of action?

I'll stick with less likelihood of being injured. It's working out that's good for you, not one particular program!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

You try to garner respect for Crossfit by labelling those disagreeing with you as child abusers. Not the best strategy.

seems legit!