SL 5x5 equipment

Options
I am interested in starting the SL 5x5 program, but I have some questions. I have been looking into gyms, and cost is a factor. I cannot or won't pay $50+ a month. One gym I found says "STRENGTH TRAINING: free weights (5 lbs- 160 lbs), barbells, power rack". Great because some places don't have power racks. I'm thinking a place like this would work? My only issue is no child care and I don't have anybody to watch my little one until late and I prefer not to work out late because that is when I work and clean.

Also, can you use a Smith machine instead of a rack? Some places only have the Smith machines and actually a friend of mine has a home gym but has a Smith machine not a power rack. He said I could go there and use his equipment, but I'm not sure it will work...

Replies

• grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,154 Member
    Options
    For SL 5x5, you need a squat or power rack, a bench and free weights. You can subsititure a smith machine, but I recommend against it. You lose the work on your stabilizer muscles, which significantly decreases the effectiveness of the workouts, and the machine forces you into some unnatural positions. At low weight, this isn't a huge problem, but as you approach your max, the constrained range of motion can lead to injury.
  • Care76
    Care76 Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    OK, thanks. Smith machine is out then.

So this is probably a stupid question, but here it goes. when you say free weights, do you mean dumbell type or all weights (like the ones that go on a Olympic bar)? Because the gym mentioned above says they have up to 160 lbs of free weights. Is that enough?
  • mheebner
    mheebner Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Just say NO to the smith machine.

That said if the gym only has free weight to 160 lbs, it will not be enough. With both programs you will be hitting 160 with squats and deads before finishing the progression of the program. It might be enough to start but trust me you will be stuck . Every exercise in SL, not sure about SS but I think its the same, needs to be done with a regular 45 lbs barbell....no dumbbells. If this place works for you however you could look up strength routines with dumbells and go that route.

Check the gym out and ask specific questions relating to the program you want to follow.
  • Care76
    Options
    Just say NO to the smith machine.

That said if the gym only has free weight to 160 lbs, it will not be enough. With both programs you will be hitting 160 with squats and deads before finishing the progression of the program. It might be enough to start but trust me you will be stuck . Every exercise in SL, not sure about SS but I think its the same, needs to be done with a regular 45 lbs barbell....no dumbbells. If this place works for you however you could look up strength routines with dumbells and go that route.

Check the gym out and ask specific questions relating to the program you want to follow.

I went into one of the gyms and asked questions about what I wanted and nobody had any idea what I was taking about. I was told I could get another member to help me. I went into another and looked around but I thought what I saw was a rack, but now I'm not so sure so I will have to go back.
  • FrnkLft
    FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    Free weights refer to all dumbbells and barbells. Weights not attached to a aparatus.

You can use dumbbells for certain movements in SL 5x5, but it's ill advised because the movement is fundamentally changed (to varying degrees mind you, give the exercise). Also, you will eventually need to use a barbbell when the weight gets heavier, and if you built bad habits with dumbbells, well then you risk injury/having to start back at the beginning.

That said, I have a girl friend who wasn't comfortable yet deadlifting with the bar. I AM NOT A PRO of any kind. But if it helped her get started, I told her to give doing deadlifts with dumbbells a try, and so far so good. Once she has confidence in the movement, she should be good to go with a bar... hopefully. I jut asked her to remember what she was working up to, and to keep that in mind regarding her posture and how she handled the weights.

Dumbbells are great, but for the big 4 lifts, the barbell is ideal and necessary.
  • mheebner
    Options
    The things you should look for or ask about at the gym:

power rack
    flat bench
    Olympic barbells...or barbells apprx.7 feet long and 44/45 lbs
    plate weights in increments from 2.5 lbs to 45 lbs. Should have at least 500 lbs of them in varying increments.

I wouldn't worry too much about having the 2.5 lbs plates at the gym. A lot of places do not have them and you can buy your own to bring in. However they are absolutely needed whether the gym has them or you have to purchase them.

That's it. I wouldn't necessarily ask about the programs, but you can ask about the equipment. Trust me when I say a LOT of gyms will have zero idea about starting strength or stronglifts.
  • mheebner
    Options

Dumbbells are great, but for the big 4 lifts, the barbell is ideal and necessary.

I would go even further than that. I would say the ONLY time you shouldn't use a barbell is if you cant lift the weight of the barbell. At that point I would advocate dumbells, or even better barbells with bolted on weights only until you can do the 45 lbs barbell weight.
    Both programs stress this fact.
  • _benjammin
    _benjammin Posts: 1,224 Member
    Options
    I was in a similar situation (no kid though). I kept checking Craigslist everyday for a couple months while doing bodyweight and dumbbell routines at home. I finally found a decent home-made power rack and complete Olympic bar, weight set, and bench. I bought it all for $150.
    Here's some recent adds in Ontario (no idea how close they may be to you are how much you might want to spend but keep checking CL):
    http://burlington.craigslist.org/spo/4135842437.html
    Commercial Squat Rack for $200-Rutland
    01313_3fz2vljB7Ju_600x450.jpg

http://montreal.fr.craigslist.ca/spo/4106986206.html
    Bench Press & Squat Rack fro $450-Montreal
    01616_aKyw1AxEhFA_600x450.jpg
  • _benjammin
    Options
    Dumbells and Squat Rack - $75 (Lowville)
    Sturdy homemade squat rack $75.00 obo.

http://watertown.craigslist.org/spo/4069959689.html
  • _benjammin
    Options
    Weights and weight machine(price reduction) - $200 (Randolph, VT)
    http://burlington.craigslist.org/spo/4142017603.html

"Machine" is worthless but see if they'd sell just 255 lbs of plate weight for $100.

Used plates sell for $0.50/lb around here at retail resell stores.
  • Care76
    Options
    Wow, thanks for all the info!

I am not really looking to use dumbells. I want an Olympic bar and I looked into buying one. I don't have anybody showing me form but I looked online. So I heard you could use some heavy things at home and I lift one large water bottle (the big ones that go on a water cooler) in each hand then put them down and repeat. So I'm sure I can use a proper barbell.

Bejammin, I have been looking on kijiji near me. I can find a bench and sometimes some weights, it's the power rack I'm having a hard time with. I might have to drive a couple hours or more.
  • mheebner
    Options
    Not to derail the thread but I WISH WISH WISH I had the room for a power rack. I would drop my gym membership in a second
  • mheebner
    Options
    The first few weeks on Stronglifts, really focus on form while the weight is still light. I even had youtube clips on form for every exercise cued up on my phone and I would literally watch them right before performing the lift.
    If you have questions you could always record yourself doing the lift and upload to youtube and post a link in the Stronglift group here on MFP and ask advice that way. Kinda clunky I know but you would get some great advice
  • _benjammin
    Options

Bejammin, I have been looking on kijiji near me. I can find a bench and sometimes some weights, it's the power rack I'm having a hard time with. I might have to drive a couple hours or more.
    There were a number of times I almost bought just weights, a bar, bench, or "decent" rack but nothing seemed to be "too good to resist" and then BAM, a great package deal.
    But as mentioned, you gotta have some where to set it all up. About 8 feet by 8 feet is minimum. If you've got the space, don't be afraid to buy bits and pieces 'til it all comes together.
  • _benjammin
    Options
    The first few weeks on Stronglifts, really focus on form while the weight is still light. I even had youtube clips on form for every exercise cued up on my phone and I would literally watch them right before performing the lift.
    If you have questions you could always record yourself doing the lift and upload to youtube and post a link in the Stronglift group here on MFP and ask advice that way. Kinda clunky I know but you would get some great advice
    ^THIS^
    I waited 'til squat started to feel heavy and then realized my form was bad after videoing myself.
  • Care76
    Options
    I have space in my basement, but I'm not sure about how high a rack will be. My basement has low ceilings.

When looking at weights, should you go for 1"holes or 2"holes? Do only certain size weights fit on Olympic bars?
  • Care76
    Options
    Oh, and what's the difference between a squat rack and power rack. I notice height, but can you use either or do you need a power rack for other lifts?
  • mheebner
    Options
    Low ceilings will interfere with the standing overhead press. This lift also works your back/core so it is advised not to do them from a seated position....something to think about.

Most every Olympic bar I have ever seen has the larger collars on them. Someone with more knowledge than me can maybe answer the plate question.

A squat rack is just that, for squats. There is a picture of a nice squat rack above.
    A power rack is more of a box-type cage that you can squat in, and pull a bench into for the bench press.

220px-Power_Rack.JPG
  • FrnkLft
    FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    All you really need is a Squat STAND. You do not need a Power Rack, or a Squat Rack. The key advantage of a power rack are the bars that run along the sides.

Squat stands give you the barebones to do what you need to do, and it's really more than enough. The only concern would be bailing the weight while in the hole on a squat, but if you practice it a few times, you should be fine if/when you need to (and you should always practice this regardless... it's not even remotely difficult or scary).

Squat racks are like stands, but they have that graduated feature to them where you can place the bar at your height and return it at any hight. It also has safety bars similar to the ones in power racks.

Power racks have those pins the run along the sides, so you can bail the weight however you like. You can also buy attachments and all that to do things like dips, pullups, etc... you can adjust the safety pins to do pin pulls and all that. More variation, if you need it.

Squat Stand:
    [img]http://www.flexcart.com/members/elitefts/FTS Press Squat Stands(1).jpg[/img]

Power Rack:
    OS-PR-3.jpg
  • cdahl383
    cdahl383 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking of getting a power rack soon for my basement as well. Most are 82-84" tall with some being as high as 90" tall.

Body Solid makes a rack that is 79" tall that is a pretty sturdy unit (GRP378 or something). TDS also makes a 72" tall power rack that looks a little less sturdy but is still rated up to 1000 lbs so it must be decent.

My basement is 82-83" tall throughout most of it and that eliminates almost all of the regular power racks. The only two I'm down to now is the Body Solid 79" tall or the TDS 72" tall. I'm thinking the taller one would probably be better in the long run.

I plan on getting into the compound lifts in the late winter / early spring after I've lost some more fat, it looks like fun and will be something new and challenging to do. I just use dumbbells and a bench at home and get good results from that, but I'm sure something like 5x5 would really give great results.

Good luck to you!