I really want to start exercising...

Options
2»

Replies

• lessofme43
    lessofme43 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    A friend of mine uses fitnessblender.com and she says it's the way to go! I haven't been able to get into it myself, as I enjoy walking outdoors for exercise. But she likes it for the variety. Walking is not a chore for me, even though it is a great cardio workout, so I second the idea that if you find an exercise that you love that's half your battle to consistency. I've added wrist weights to my walk, and soon enough I'll be donning snow boots and the like to walk through the winter so that will also add some resistance lol! Walking for exercise also became more fun once we got a dog who goes bananas at the mention of the word - an enthusiastic partner is helpful in keeping you committed as well. All the best to you as you figure out a healthier lifestyle for yourself!
  • SailorKnightWing
    SailorKnightWing Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    Might I suggest one of the many free Couch to 5K programs? I'm really enjoying mine because it assumes you can't run for more than a few seconds when you start and gradually increases in intensity.
  • Tunia85
    Tunia85 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    You could do videos, exercise bands, small weights, yoga, etc. at home. There are many Youtube videos on home exercise. I have a Smart TV that has an exercise plan/program also. But plan on exercising 4 days a week so only do those on the days where you did not overwork yourself or exercise at all.
  • thunderstruck134
    Options
    This site has helped me a lot. You start with the beginners calendar and ony invest 30 minutes a day and then you move on to the monthly calendars or devise your own plan there's lots of videos on the site divided by body focus.

http://www.blogilates.com/calendar/beginners-calendar-for-popsters-just-starting-out

Good luck! :smile:
  • TabithaRose87
    TabithaRose87 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I am no expert. Just IMO, if you want to tone up/change your body etc..I would recommend Jillian Michaels 30 day shred, ripped in 30, etc... I like 30 day shred because it's just 20 minutes. I have a friend who does ripped in 30 and she loves it..Great way to shred fat. You can buy the DVDs for cheap or you can just youtube them for free :-) Oh wait...Zumba is awesome as will I think that would be fun and really tone you up
  • rosemary98
    Options
    I am no expert. Just IMO, if you want to tone up/change your body etc..I would recommend Jillian Michaels 30 day shred, ripped in 30, etc... I like 30 day shred because it's just 20 minutes. I have a friend who does ripped in 30 and she loves it..Great way to shred fat. You can buy the DVDs for cheap or you can just youtube them for free :-) Oh wait...Zumba is awesome as will I think that would be fun and really tone you up

thanks, i was just reading up on the shred. they are offering it the gym I am joining, but good to know I can get a DVD. i will check it out on youtube as well.
  • foxfirekenzie
    foxfirekenzie Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    http://www.dailyhiit.com/

That is the very best site I've ever found for at home workouts. Minimal space needed as well as equipment. Most of the equipment you can substitute with stuff around the house. I have yet to buy a piece of workout equipment to accomplish the workouts. Feel free to add me as a friend and we can talk some more about the benefits of great workouts at home that don't last super long.

As others have said, start small so you don't get overwhelmed.

YOU CAN DO IT!
  • shapefitter
    shapefitter Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    Brief power walks are good.
  • rosemary98
    Options
    wow. thank you. so many great suggestions. not sure which way to go. I did schedule my appointment with the gym. (I planned to join the gym regardless of my personal exercise because I am starting swimming lessons with my son on weekends). Then, I will add a DVD/youtube workout. will be referring to this thread a lot.
  • FrnkLft
    FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options

Workouts don't "shred fat" or even "get you ripped"... diets do. Seriously, read up on this. This is a huge misconception.
  • aubyshortcake
    aubyshortcake Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    I just checked out amazon for Lauren's "You are your own gym." It received many excellent reviews. anyone else try this?

I'm going to be starting this on Monday (I got the app for Android). I was supposed to this week but just couldn't get myself motivated (I know, no excuse!) lol..but it really appeals to me because it's not overly long or complicated (when it comes to exercise, or..well...anything, my attention span is not so great lol). It might be worth it to get the app and try that out first as it's only $2.99. :)
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options

Workouts don't "shred fat" or even "get you ripped"... diets do. Seriously, read up on this. This is a huge misconception.

Just for the sake of clarity... ripped, toned, whatever you want to call it, is the result of both diet AND exercise. Exercise without the right diet will make you strong or fast or whatever, but you'll still be fat. Diet without exercise will make you smaller but still soft and sloppy.

I understand what you're getting at, but technically you're not any more right than the person who simply suggested a workout. Either one along is only part of the equation, and neither by itself will give those kinds of results.

Diet + exercise = win.

• rosemary98
    Options

I struggle with this concept. I don't think I should lose anymore weight. i eat well balanced meals--but i am 98 pounds and almost 5'6''. To lose more weight, i don't think would be healthy. i could lose a couple more pounds to see if that helps...but that is about it. that is why i turn to exercise. i am hoping exercise will help me tone (not lose weight). also, exercise can help strengthen bones and improve mood, etc.
  • jblackjr
    jblackjr Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Not sure if someone has mentioned it but you could start with Jillian Michaels 30 day shred. All you need is a set of light hand weights. Its a great workout and only 25 mins.
  • HypersonicFitNess
    HypersonicFitNess Posts: 1,219 Member
    Options
    Walking is always good; but the Tough Mudder bootcamps will get you toned and you need virtually no equipment.

http://toughmudder.com/tough-mudder-boot-camp-training/

I do say virtually, because a bar to do a pull up on would be handy, but you can do alternative exercises that work the same muscles (let me know if your interested and I put some together for you). Also the ones that recommend a dumbbell you can use a can of food or anything you can find around the house that you are comfortable lifting. Otherwise you can buy dumbbells cheap at walmart.

I am training a friend (who is over 50) and she did not previously exercise except walking. I will say we started a little slower than the Tough Mudder and I modified exercises but we're into month 5 now and she's doing the Maybe Mudder and I'm thinking of taking her up another notch to the full blown Tough Mudder next week.