Snack ideas

Options
Snacks are sometimes the most difficult "meal".
Here is a list of some of my favorite snacks. What are yours?

1. almonds
2. boiled eggs
3. 1/2 cup of cottage cheese with a snack pack of fruit
4. low sugar jerkey (beef or turkey)
5. Laughing Cow cheese with multi-grain pita chips
6. small cup of soup with a parmesean crisp (I will list the recipe below)
7. apple or pear with string cheese
8. plain greek yogurt with a packet of stevia (if I am really needing more I add 1/4 cup of bare naked granola or a handful of berries)
9. veggies (i.e. bell peppers, cucumbers, tomatoes, etc) & hummus, low fat/cal dip, or salsa
10. 1/2 peanut butter sandwich
11. 100 calorie bag of popcorn
12. peanut butter (or almond butter) and celery or apple slices
13. an oat bran muffin
14. Atkins (or other low carb) snack bars
15. frozen fruit or sugar free chocolate pops (usually a morning snack and not often because they affect my blood sugar in a big way)
16. homemade Mocha Frappucino (almond milk, sugar free chocolate syrup, a tsp of instant coffee or espresso powder, stevia, and ice. blend it up!)
17. mini pizza made from whole wheat english muffin, pizza sauce, turkey pepperoni, and low fat mozzarella.
18. Pepperoni chips. 10-20 turkey pepperoni zapped in the microwave to make them crispy (cover with paper towel, heat on high about 30-40 seconds)
19. lettuce and ham or turkey rollups (with low or fat free cream cheese or a Laughing Cow wedge) and some veggies.
20. sugar free jello or pudding (the packs are easy to tote to work too!)
21. a small salad such as a spinach and mandarin oranges with feta and a balsamic vinaigrette.

Here is the recipe for the Parmesean Crisps that I mentioned earlier.

Parmesean Crisps (from Giada De Laurentis of Food Network)
Makes 8 to 10 crisps

Ingredients
1/2 cup grated Parmesan

Directions
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
Pour a heaping tablespoon of Parmesan onto a silicone or parchment lined baking sheet and lightly pat down. (A silicone baking sheet is highly recommended) Repeat with the remaining cheese, spacing the spoonfuls about a 1/2 inch apart.
Bake for 3 to 5 minutes or until golden and crisp. Cool. Enjoy!

Replies

• minuz5
    minuz5 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    My fav snacks :

fruits,
    nuts(mix),
    beef jerky,
    peanut butter rice cakes with jelly,
    protein bars.

Not so many things, but keeps me going.
  • heatherannh23
    heatherannh23 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    These sound yummy. I'll be sure to remember for my next grocery trip (:
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    Too much sugar-free, low-fat, fat-free stuff for me :(
  • WeakLisa
    Options
    Fair enough. So what are your faves? And just so you know, I am new at this and have diabetes. I have to watch the sugar. Please feel free to tell me what it is you like for snacks rather than just poo-poo my suggestions.
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    Fair enough. So what are your faves?

I'm pretty boring with my snacks but I love them! I have a mid-morning snack and an afternoon snack every day during the week. My morning snack is a Luna Protein bar (not the regular Lunas, there are these little protein ones that are amazing) and my afternoon snack is usually full-fat Oikos greek yogurt.

My favorite sides with lunches is a homemade 3-bean salad with cukes, tomatoes, and oil and vinegar; celery and PB (on your list!); baby carrots or sliced red pepper and hummus (also on there!); and hard boiled eggs with salt and pepper.

We also always have ice cream sandwiches in the house! We get the Blue Bell brand, and they are 150 calories per sandwich which fits nicely into my day for an after-dinner treat.

ETA: Diabetes completely changes things. I didn't know. Sorry. I was just thinking from a weight loss perspective. When I tried doing low-fat and low-sugar everything I was miserable and unsatisfied and just craved real sugar all the time.
  • mitchiemo
    mitchiemo Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I'm big into sunflower seeds at the moment. I buy them in their shells so that eating them takes more effort.
  • WeakLisa
    Options
    My fav snacks :

fruits,
    nuts(mix),
    beef jerky,
    peanut butter rice cakes with jelly,
    protein bars.

Not so many things, but keeps me going.
    minuz5 - I think those are great! If it helps you do your thing, then good on you!
    These sound yummy. I'll be sure to remember for my next grocery trip (:
    heatherannh23 - do you have any snacks you enjoy right now?
    Diabetes completely changes things. I didn't know. Sorry. I was just thinking from a weight loss perspective. When I tried doing low-fat and low-sugar everything I was miserable and unsatisfied and just craved real sugar all the time.
    alpine 1994 - No worries, I understand. Thanks for your input.
    I'm big into sunflower seeds at the moment. I buy them in their shells so that eating them takes more effort.
    mitchiemo - M-M-M sunflower seeds! Delicious!
  • judychicken
    judychicken Posts: 937 Member
    Options
    I like quest bars, Fiber One 90 calories brownies, Tzatziki yogurt dip with red peppers and Sunrise Energy Bars with Omega-3 Costco 130calories.
  • psychofairy25
    psychofairy25 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Hiya some of these sound really good. will have to try them, as for my snacks it depends on how much calorie i have to work with

low cal choices:
    3 slices of hard salami ( good iorn and protein) 100 cal
    fruit (apples strawberries or grapes) 68-98 cal
    spoon of peanut butter 100-120 cal
    dannon light and fit Greek yogurt 80 cal

wiggle-room choices
    i cup bryers no sugar added ice cream 160 cal
    strawberries with sprinkle of splenda bout bout 150 cal (depending on splenda)
    Russell stovers sugar free chocolate peices (one serving) and cup or two of skim milk 260-320 cal

i like the idea of more meat based snacks need the protein with my strength base exercises
  • faradaysdream
    faradaysdream Posts: 91 Member
    Options

I eat the shells :noway: :noway: :noway: :noway:
  • spaceistheplace
    spaceistheplace Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Lunch meat (I like Columbus or Boars Head) rolled up around a small piece of cheese and dipped in horseradish sauce. Sometimes I put the horseradish in the rollup so I can take them to go.
  • kjimmie4848
    kjimmie4848 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I'm type 2. Pimento cheese, yummmm. Yogurt, peanuts, too. Recently bought some hummus crisps and gluten free chia chips. Haven't tried them yet but they look good.
  • shasha813
    Options
    I love 1/2 cup yogurt w/ table spoon of maple almond butter. Helps kill that sweet craving for sure. :tongue:
  • glitzy196
    glitzy196 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I try really hard to eat to taste--it helps me with my cravings so my snacks aren't so much healthy but they are portion controlled and i enjoy eating them which helps a TON with my cravings. I am super picky so they only way i will have long term success it to eat what i like

this week : tostitos chips and salsa (24 chips for 150 calories) and i LOVE them :) I also find if i use a really spicy salsa i can't eat as much and sometimes don't even make it through all my chips!

50 calorie string cheese heated for 10 seconds and 17 slices of turkey pepperoni with a 1/4 of pizza sauce= 150 calories and i also love it

pumpkin yogurt 80 calories

100 calorie vanilla almond pack

6 slices of a low sodium lunch meat =60 calories

those are my favorite snacks this week

or chocolate chips.
  • briabner
    briabner Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    My go to snacks are

hummus and baby carrots
    apple with sunbutter (its made with sunflower seeds as I am allergic to nuts
    strawberries with chocolate soybutter (another nut alternative)
    chips and on the border all natural salsa
    100 calorie bag of popcorn

These are just a few. I have a problem with snacking so I really try to just stick with my 3 meals a day otherwise I do not have that much self control.
  • Mcmilligen
    Mcmilligen Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    -Dark chocolate pieces (80% or baking chocolate, I know I'm weird), sometimes dipped in almond butter (yummmm)
    -Homemade protein bars
    -Coconut yogurt with berries and nuts
    -Fresh fruit with nut butter
    -Fresh veggies with hummus
    -Decaf almond milk cappuccino
    -Small portion of salad, or whatever lunch I have in the work fridge.
  • Mcmilligen
    Mcmilligen Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I try really hard to eat to taste--it helps me with my cravings so my snacks aren't so much healthy but they are portion controlled and i enjoy eating them which helps a TON with my cravings. I am super picky so they only way i will have long term success it to eat what i like

this week : tostitos chips and salsa (24 chips for 150 calories) and i LOVE them :) I also find if i use a really spicy salsa i can't eat as much and sometimes don't even make it through all my chips!

50 calorie string cheese heated for 10 seconds and 17 slices of turkey pepperoni with a 1/4 of pizza sauce= 150 calories and i also love it

pumpkin yogurt 80 calories

100 calorie vanilla almond pack

6 slices of a low sodium lunch meat =60 calories

those are my favorite snacks this week

or chocolate chips.

Oooh, how do you make this pumpkin yogurt? Or is it store bought?
  • kristen2713
    kristen2713 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Excellent post and some great ideas! I think mine are almost all on the OP's list, and I like the idea about english muffin pizzas...used to have them as a kid and loved them! Wanted to add my 2 cents to save the post :flowerforyou:
  • WeakLisa
    Options
    Some great ideas posted here. Thank you all for giving me some additional ideas for things to pick up at the grocery store.
  • creatureofthewind
    Options
    I wish almonds weren't so damn expensive. They are an amazing snack for two p.m. when I am starting to feel tired, but I have eight more hours to go for my day.