Sushi

Options
adepko
adepko Posts: 58 Member
I'm going out for a sushi dinner tonight. Does anyone have any suggestions on what to order so I can still watch my calorie intake? I've never eaten sushi before!

Replies

• sillygoosie
    sillygoosie Posts: 1,109 Member
    Options
    When I go out for sushi, all bets are out the window and I eat whatever I want. If you really want to watch the calories stick with sashimi. If you really want the whole experience eat everything. The only thing I ever avoid are the deep fried rolls which I just find to be pretty gross.
  • lady6starlight
    lady6starlight Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Avoid the spicy mayo! Even though it's tasty. :(
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Sashimi is the best bet, or a couple simple rolls (like salmon avocado or california rolls). Love sushi but so high in calories :(
  • asaunders0923
    Options
    Sashimi, yes I agree, but if you aren't into it... I go for the veggie rolls. They usually have avacado and cucumber.
  • ehorn625
    ehorn625 Posts: 144
    Options
    I love sushi! Eat what you want-just don't over do it! Have fun and enjoy!
  • Mustgetbuff
    Mustgetbuff Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    MMMM sushi! I could eat it once a week. Try start off with a bowl of miso soup. It's very good for you and low in calories, plus it'll help fill you up a bit. Like other posters stated, sashimi is safe, but a little boring for my taste. Small california rolls, avocado rolls, and basic sushi (usually one slice of raw fish on rice) are good. You could also add a sunomono salad, a vinegar based dish that usually contains cucumber, cold noodles, and sometimes shrimp.

Providing you stay away from spring rolls, gyoza, tempura, and fried rolls, you should be fine; I think most Japanese food is relatively healthy for a meal out. Make sure you don't overdo the soy sauce either or you'll be way over your sodium intake for the day.
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    Pre-log what you will be having, and then plan your day around it. I have 700 calories set aside for sushi tonight!
  • simplycorey
    simplycorey Posts: 721 Member
    Options
    If I know I'm going out for sushi, I try to make better choices throughout the day but I don't pre-log. I like to enjoy myself when I go and just eat until I'm full. Then I start back up with eating better the next day.
  • TribeHokie
    TribeHokie Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    Lots of good advice here. I'll second the suggestion of sashimi but if you've never had sushi before then going full-on raw fish with nothing else might not be up your alley. In general stay away from anything crispy/tempura/fried and try to avoid anything with cream cheese or spicy mayo.
  • AmberJewelCR
    Options
    When I go out for sushi, all bets are out the window and I eat whatever I want. If you really want to watch the calories stick with sashimi. If you really want the whole experience eat everything. The only thing I ever avoid are the deep fried rolls which I just find to be pretty gross.

THIS Sushi is a MAJOR weakness of mine. I love it.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    Sashimi if you're really worried about calories..

but if i'm going out for sushi.. I'll take one of everything.. LMAO

It's like crack.. mmmmmmmm
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    Options
    of all the meals out, sushi is not one i recommend holding back on.
    especially if it's your first time.
    sushi is worth skipping lunch for.
    sushi is worth an extra 2 hours on the dreadmill for.
    sushi is worth going over for.

go to dinner, try some of everything and enjoy the amazing experience that sushi is.
    wash it down with sake and never have a single regret about it.

and now i'm thinking sushi for dinner...so thank you.
  • Miss_Meliss86
    Miss_Meliss86 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    of all the meals out, sushi is not one i recommend holding back on.
    especially if it's your first time.
    sushi is worth skipping lunch for.
    sushi is worth an extra 2 hours on the dreadmill for.
    sushi is worth going over for.

go to dinner, try some of everything and enjoy the amazing experience that sushi is.
    wash it down with sake and never have a single regret about it.

and now i'm thinking sushi for dinner...so thank you.

QFT. Now I want sushi. Damnit. :grumble:
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Just enjoy! Be aware though that the high sodium of soya sauce will have you retaining some water so if you have a weigh in coming up, keep that in mind.
  • RiverMelSong
    RiverMelSong Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    When I go out for sushi, all bets are out the window and I eat whatever I want.

This. Let your hair down and just enjoy it :)
  • kellybean14
    kellybean14 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    seaweed salad is chock-full of delicious, nutritious goodness. yummmmmm.....
  • arghbowl
    arghbowl Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    I'm not a big fan of sushi, but my fiancee likes it so I get stuck eating it a lot. I like mine: cooked, covered in a spicy sauce, and loaded with wasabi so I don't know what I'm eating.

*gag* :sick:
  • Legs_McGee
    Legs_McGee Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    Eat all the sushi!
  • TdaniT
    TdaniT Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Sashimi if you're really worried about calories..

but if i'm going out for sushi.. I'll take one of everything.. LMAO

It's like crack.. mmmmmmmm

^^^^This^^^^

Now I want sushi for dinner tonight but must resist. Tomorrow is weigh in day.....