Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

planet fitness users

2»

Replies

• Pinkranger626
    Pinkranger626 Posts: 460 Member
    But the "trainer" said since I am 5'2 and 195lbs I shouldn't concentrate on any resistance training because I should try to lose fat first. He instructed me to just do the treadmill for an hour 6 days a week and then in a month or two think about adding resistance training. That seemed a little strange to me since a cursory google search said that resistance training is good for fat loss.

As a personal trainer myself, that makes me so sad. It's a total load of crap! There are many studies that have proven that people with more weight to lose actually see more benefits and feel better about their progress when they incorporate strength training into their routines.

The fact that he works at Planet Fitness should speak volumes though..... apparently they're not focusesd on hiring people that know what the f$*% they're talking about.
  • KeithAngilly
    KeithAngilly Posts: 575 Member
    any one else go to planet fitness? what is your program there? add me if you want

i have a black card and I find the gym fits my needs.

it is:

affordable, convenient, cheap

it is not good for:

free weight lifters; those in need of personal trainers, classes, etc; and people who are full of themselves

I use it mainly when I can't get outside (often the case in the winter), mostly for the treadmill and the stationary bike. The locations I have used here in CT have generally been clean and the equipment in good working order. PF is very much a cheap no-frills kind of place. If you are need of people to guide you along the way, in terms of setting up a program and keeping you moving along, I would look elsewhere.

Good luck!
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    LOL @ the PF haters.

You can get out of PF what you want to get out of it. It's a $10 gym. To me, that's a great investment. I go to run one day a week after work, I do my other two days of running outside on the weekends. Two more days I go to PF to do the ARC trainer for 30+ minutes and the I work out with the free weights. I don't have the time or inclination to be a big time weight lifter. If I did, then maybe I would join another gym instead of PF. But for the 5 years I've been going there, I've gotten what I've needed out of it.
  • KeithAngilly
    KeithAngilly Posts: 575 Member
    LOL @ the PF haters.

You can get out of PF what you want to get out of it. It's a $10 gym. To me, that's a great investment. I go to run one day a week after work, I do my other two days of running outside on the weekends. Two more days I go to PF to do the ARC trainer for 30+ minutes and the I work out with the free weights. I don't have the time or inclination to be a big time weight lifter. If I did, then maybe I would join another gym instead of PF. But for the 5 years I've been going there, I've gotten what I've needed out of it.

PF thrives because of the attitudes present by some in this thread and every other PF thread that comes up. Personally, I don't miss the so-called "real" fitness and lifting folks at all. I do my thing and go about my business and that seems to be what most of the other people working out there do, as well. It's not perfect, but I am in the same boat. I get what I need from it.
  • katrn05
    katrn05 Posts: 20 Member
    I'm not sure but I highly doubt any of the "trainers" at PF are certified. I would be quite hesitant to take any advice from them. The "only cardio burns fat" thing is a total myth. I stick with basic lifts such as squats, deadlifts, overhead press (or push press), and bench press. I think those are the lifts used from StrongLifts. And to add to that, I don't lift at PF. If you don't like the equipment at PF, I would recommend getting a kettlebell for home. I have a 25lb kettlebell that I'll use if I can't make it to the other gym for open WOD.
  • CipherZero
    CipherZero Posts: 1,418 Member
    WTF on the deadlifts? I guess they don't want anyone to get hurt (or "fit" LOL).

That was the nogo for me. Yes, it's convenient and $10 a month, but I can't do even a beginner program without being able to at least ATTEMPT big compound lifts. OHP, Deads, squats NOT in a smith machine - these are core exercises in any decent program.
  • As long as we are on this topic, has anyone had any success gaining mass at planet fitness. I lift there 4 days a week and have found it good for isolation but I can't seem to gain any mass or any considerable base strength. Switching gyms isn't an option right now so I would love some advice.