can you lose weight when pregnant?

Options

Replies

• hoyalawya2003
    hoyalawya2003 Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    I highly recommend that you see a nutritionist. I was put on a carb restrictive diet due to gestational diabetes, and I only gained 17 lbs for my pregnancy. Which is the healthy range for an obese mother. I weighed 5 lbs less when I left the hospital than I did when I got pregnant.
  • Debbie_Ferr
    Debbie_Ferr Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    EVEN if she wasn't eating enough, (which she is) the baby wouldn't starve. The baby would be given nutrients from the mother's body. While unhealthy for the mother, the baby would be properly nourished.

BrittanyHarri, are you medical professional ? If not, can you provide reliable links from MEDICAL WEBSITES ?
    The OP wants to "not gain ANY weight" during pregnancy. and asking about losing weight during pregnancy.
    I really think this is a MEDICAL issue.

I searched 2 medical MayoClinic.com and MedMD.com.
    Both Medical websites recommended gaining weight during pregnancy, and to SEEK professional medical advice for weight loss or weigth maintnance or weight gain during pregnancy.

We do not know the specifics of the OP's medical history, nor the details of her pregnancy.
    Perhaps we should encourage the OP to follow the advice of a medical doctor. just saying.
  • cookiealbright
    cookiealbright Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    I didn't. I gained 30 lbs both times. When the babies were born I was down about 20 lbs. then went home and ate yogurt & salad & ran in place for 20 minutes a day until I lost the other 10 lbs. Both times that I got pregnant I just lost a bunch of weight. I don't know if that made me more fertile or more desirable! But you've already had more babies than me so you should know what to do. Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • bmqbonnie
    bmqbonnie Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Anyone who finds out they are creating life and thinks "oh, god, I hope I don't gain any weight at all during this" could probably use a break from the dieting/fitness lifestyle anyway. That's a whole new level of obsessed.

Uh yeah this.

You don't necessarily need to eat MORE, or at least not a lot more, during pregnancy. People that "eat for 2" aren't really doing themselves any favors either, but you are going to gain weight.
  • Kiyalynn
    Kiyalynn Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    i never said anything about starving myself, or my baby for that matter!
    i eat 1600 cals a day at the minute, thats lots of healthy nutrition, i lost 8lbs in 3 weeks, im eating a lot of stuff, check my diary!
    i have no intention of starving! i just dont want to gain 70lbs like i did with all my other pregnancies.

ps. im not obsessed and unless you have been in my shoes and feel about my weight and what i have been through then dont judge me.

If you are already on a 1600 Calorie diet, and want to keep tracking everything during pregnancy, so you don't gain 70lbs. That is perfectly fine. Set your goal up 300-400 calories. To keep your daily calories between 1600 - 2000 a day, making sure not to go under 1600. That will keep you from gaining too much weight, since MFP already has about a 500 calorie deficit, and now your using more calories then ever. You will gain some weight, but It shouldn't be more than 30lbs.
  • You wouldn't starve your child after it's born, so why try before?

You need to do your homework before judging an expecting mother who is trying to take care of her and her baby's health. EVEN if she wasn't eating enough, (which she is) the baby wouldn't starve. The baby would be given nutrients from the mother's body. While unhealthy for the mother, the baby would be properly nourished.
    To the OP, good for you trying to be healthy. Your baby's health starts at conception!

So the fetus gets proper nutrition regardless of the mother's food intake?

That's pretty dangerous advice.

I was not advising that the OP starve herself, in fact, I support healthy eating/healthy lifestyle, although I see where there could be a mix up. I was simply saying that people need not jump to conclusions, especially when they're ill-informed. No matter what, that baby will not starve. It was wrong of someone to jump to that conclusion. As a mother, there is no better feeling than the love you have for that child. For someone to question it in such a manner when the OP said NOTHING about starving herself is just ridiculous.
  • swede160
    swede160 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I can only advise based on my experience with two VERY different pregnancies.

With my first, I started out at about 199 and gained 30 pounds. I walked 4 miles a day home from work and ate pretty well with the exception of weekend splurges because I had a HUGE weekness for breakfast food while pg. I did pilates and light weights as well.

Within a week of coming home from the hospital I was down to 198 and felt great.

With my second, I had chronic migraines and back problems that prevented much activity. As a result, I gained a little more and didn't lose the weight. Add ppd to the mix and it all goes south pretty fast.

Point being. If you watch what you eat and keep your body moving, you should gain just what you need to and bounce back better because your body never "forgot" how to move and you've set yourself up for success.

There's a happy medium between gaining 70 lbs and 0.

Good luck and congratulations.
  • Debbie_Ferr
    Options
    By losing weight while pregnant, you are making your body choose between itself and the fetus.

Pregnancy is not the time to deprive your body of the energy it needs for itself.

This.

OP, now go discuss with your MEDICAL professional. I really don't think this forum is equipped to give medical advice for YOU and A FETUS.
  • vampirequeen1959
    vampirequeen1959 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I think a lot of you are being very unfair and judgemental. There is nothing wrong with not wanting to gain a lot of weight in pregnancy. As long as feisty-one eats sensibly there is no reason why she can't cut back and prevent most of the weight gain. If it's ok for my daughter because of a slipped disc then it must be ok in general provided you don't starve yourself.

I would aim to keep my weight stable which means that you'll be lighter when the baby is born. Most people seem to be recommending 2000 calories a day which is fine if that keeps you stable but if your body is used to less calories then it might store the extra rather than using them so you may need to eat less calories. It all depends on your body really.

I would recommend you do this with your doctor's or midwife's support though. Not so much for the baby but to make sure your in good shape for the delivery. You already know from experience how hard this can be on your body and it's energy resources.
  • bmqbonnie
    bmqbonnie Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    You wouldn't starve your child after it's born, so why try before?

You need to do your homework before judging an expecting mother who is trying to take care of her and her baby's health. EVEN if she wasn't eating enough, (which she is) the baby wouldn't starve. The baby would be given nutrients from the mother's body. While unhealthy for the mother, the baby would be properly nourished.
    To the OP, good for you trying to be healthy. Your baby's health starts at conception!

I was not advising that the OP starve herself, in fact, I support healthy eating/healthy lifestyle, although I see where there could be a mix up. I was simply saying that people need not jump to conclusions, especially when they're ill-informed. No matter what, that baby will not starve. It was wrong of someone to jump to that conclusion. As a mother, there is no better feeling than the love you have for that child. For someone to question it in such a manner when the OP said NOTHING about starving herself is just ridiculous.

No.

A lack of nourishment (including cals) increases the chances of premature birth, low birth weight, miscarriage, stillbirth, difficulties with milk production, etc.

You don't need to gain fat, but you do need to gain weight, unless you are very obese. I can't imagine recommending being on a deficit- cutting back and eating healthier if you currently aren't, sure, but don't try to lose by being on a deficit.
  • Debbie_Ferr
    Options
    I think a lot of you are being very unfair and judgemental. There is nothing wrong with not wanting to gain a lot of weight in pregnancy.

Vampirequeen1,
    Per the original OP's quote " i really dont want to gain ANY weight lol. has anyone lost weight and weighed less when they had their baby than they did when they got pregnant?"

Please notice the OP capitalized the word ANY. She's focusing on not gaining ANY weight, and possibly losing weight.
    That is a big difference from your comment of "not wanting to gain alot."
  • fullersun
    Options
    Can you? Of course. Should you? Only your doctor can answer that.
  • 33Freya
    33Freya Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    Congrats! Don't ask a message board, Mama, ask your doctor. Your doctor's advice is the ONLY advice you should be taking on weight management while you're expecting. :flowerforyou:
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options
    DO NOT ASK THE ITERNETS FOR MEDICAL ADVICE REGARDING PREGNANCY.

that's my advice. talk to a doctor.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

No.

A lack of nourishment (including cals) increases the chances of premature birth, low birth weight, miscarriage, stillbirth, difficulties with milk production, etc.

You don't need to gain fat, but you do need to gain weight, unless you are very obese. I can't imagine recommending being on a deficit- cutting back and eating healthier if you currently aren't, sure, but don't try to lose by being on a deficit.

^^ Yup, this.
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    but i really dont want to gain ANY weight lol

This scares me. You do realize what's happening inside your body, right?

Since she's had 4 other children, I bet she does know.
  • MandysChange
    MandysChange Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I was morbidly obese at the weight of 402 (couch potato) when I got pregnant with twins. As soon as I knew I was pregnant I started eating healthy and walking. I did that through my entire pregnancy. At my 60 day appointment I was 390. At my 90 day appointment I was 380. All I was doing was eating healthy (2000 calories) and walking up to 1/2 mile a day. When I delivered my twins at 38 weeks I was 428. They were 6 lbs 12 oz and 5 lbs 10 oz. Both were perfect and very healthy with APGARS of 9. I never had gestational diabeties or high blood pressure issues until the last month when my blood pressure spiked. Two week after I had the twins I went in for a doctors appointment and weighed 375. I never had any problems except for the last month. That was my only pregnancy and I am not having another.
  • Debbie_Ferr
    Options
    but i really dont want to gain ANY weight lol
    This scares me. You do realize what's happening inside your body, right?
    Since she's had 4 other children, I bet she does know.

MeslAuntie, just because there's been previous offspring, it doesn't mean all knowing.
    MelsAuntie, since she's had 4 other children, and her focus is "dont want to gain ANY weight lol" or possibly losing weight, it makes this all the more SCARY !
  • PennyM140
    PennyM140 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    i never said anything about starving myself, or my baby for that matter!
    i eat 1600 cals a day at the minute, thats lots of healthy nutrition, i lost 8lbs in 3 weeks, im eating a lot of stuff, check my diary!
    i have no intention of starving! i just dont want to gain 70lbs like i did with all my other pregnancies.

ps. im not obsessed and unless you have been in my shoes and feel about my weight and what i have been through then dont judge me.

Congrats on the pregnancy. There is no need to gain 70 pounds but for the sake of the baby, who deserves to come first, you should expect to gain a moderate amount of weight. I am surprised that after having four babies where you gained 70 pounds each time you haven't taken this issue up with your doctor already. Maybe you need a new doctor who can give you nutritional advice.
    Is it really important to you to lose weight while pregnant? Or are you just scared of the excessive gain again?
  • AbbsyBabbsy
    AbbsyBabbsy Posts: 184 Member
    Options

No.

^^ Yup, this.

Did everyone miss the part where the OP has 100 pounds to lose? She's obese, almost certainly very obese. She is at higher risk to her baby gaining more weight. The medical profession is now coming around the idea that the very obese should not gain any weight, or should even try to lose. She should absolutely talk to her doctor, though.