How much calcium and iron per day?

Options
Hi Guys!

I am curious if anyone knows how much Vitamin A, C, Calcium and Iron MFP believes is your daily recommended intake. I am hoping to find out the amounts more specifically than a percentage. Not everyone needs the same amount of these nutrients (man vs woman vs pregnant vs breastfeeding etc) and I am not sure how they are calculated. Therefore I am not sure if I am getting enough or not.

Thank you so much for any help you are able to offer!

Replies

• Miss_Mabee
    Miss_Mabee Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Good resources but I am still not sure that answers my question unfortunately. I want to know when the site says I have had 100% of my calcium for the day is it 1000mg that I have consumed?
    And the same general question for the other nutrients. I can just keep adding things to my calorie counter until I find out but I was hoping someone had an easy answer.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,988 Member
    Options
    Good resources but I am still not sure that answers my question unfortunately. I want to know when the site says I have had 100% of my calcium for the day is it 1000mg that I have consumed?
    And the same general question for the other nutrients. I can just keep adding things to my calorie counter until I find out but I was hoping someone had an easy answer.

Foods in the database that have values for the vitamin and mineral fields seem mostly to be taken from the nutrition labels on the food package. In the U.S., those are supposed to be based on the % of RDA (900 micrograms of Vitamin A, 90 micrograms of vitamin C, 1000 milligrams of calcium, and 15 milligrams of iron -- there's a chart in the Wikipedia article for "Dietary Reference"). But some entries don't include values for vitamins and minerals (some entries don't have any information other than calories, so you should check the entries before you use them).
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    They're right in the second link I gave you. Click on the nutrient and click on the "Dietary Supplement Fact Sheet" on that page.
    Scroll down a bit. The daily recommendations are in mg.
  • Miss_Mabee
    Options
    Thank you for the links. I actually found those helpful to get the amounts in mgs!

What I am still wondering if I consume 100% of my calcium for the day is that is 100% DRI for a 2000 calorie diet? Or has it been adjusted to my 1300 calories?
  • Miss_Mabee
    Options
    PS way to go on only having 8lbs left to go!