weight & age

Options
i am almost 43 years old (next month)
5' 6" tall
when i was 21, i weighed 110 lbs. (that's when i got married)
at age 23, i weighed 118 (that's when i got pg. w/ our first child)
over the years, not going to list reasons, but i gained weight.
at the age of 41, i weighed 166 lbs.
my husband and i decided to lose weight, so we joined a gym and started eating healthy foods.
i lost alot of weight, and last year, after 2 years of working, i weighed 125 lbs and was healthy inside & out.
before i could lose all the weight i wanted (goal was 120) i got pregnant again and lost the baby after 3 months of pregnancy. it was a very difficult year, and i fell into a depression and along with my pregnancy weight, i gained back up to 155 lbs.

i just lost 20 lbs by getting back to my routine, so now weigh 135. i still would like to reach my goal of 120, so i have a bit more to lose. my mother thinks i'm crazy and says that i'm too thin already. i told her i weighed 118 before i had my children and i would like to be close to that again. her response: YEA, but you were only 23! you can't weigh that when you're in your 40's!!

does age have anything to do with it? i feel like as long as i'm healthy (i am seeing a dr who is monitoring my health, diet and weight loss) can't i get back to "where i was?" is there any reason why older women HAVE to weigh more than they did when they were younger? (just a side-note, my mother has weight issues, about which she does nothing.) she thinks i "look too thin" but when i was only 118, she NEVER said ANYTHING in relation to my looking too thin. just wanting some opinions. TFS.

Replies

• Zylahe
    Zylahe Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    Dont get hung up on the number.
    You may have a lot less fat now and more muscle mass. Try fitting into some of your old clothes rather than going by a single number.

Who cares what the scale says.
    Go by your goals, but consider setting some non weight goals, such as
    X pushups/ pulls ups/ squats.
    Deadlift y kgs,
    Run z dist in x mins,
    Body fat down to x %.
  • RAGGEDYANN1970
    RAGGEDYANN1970 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Dont get hung up on the number.
    You may have a lot less fat now and more muscle mass. Try fitting into some of your old clothes rather than going by a single number.

Who cares what the scale says.
    Go by your goals, but consider setting some non weight goals, such as
    X pushups/ pulls ups/ squats.
    Deadlift y kgs,
    Run z dist in x mins,
    Body fat down to x %.

i definitely notice a difference in clothes; i was a size 12 and now a size 4. i do set other goals, too, and won't be upset if i dont' reach 120, but i just wondered what people thought about age and weight. just wondering if it's really true that you can't be "as small" when you are older.
  • WJZR
    WJZR Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I am 62 now. I was 115 in high school ( that was in the 60s) 130 after I had two kids, and after my hysterectomy at age 45, my weight began creeping up a few pounds a year. :sad: I weigh 165 now and am just getting back into my size 14 jeans. I want to be a size 10 again. I just retired and joined a gym. Now I have time to get some exercise. FYI, I am only 5'4" tall. :smile:
  • RAGGEDYANN1970
    Options
    I am 62 now. I was 115 in high school ( that was in the 60s) 130 after I had two kids, and after my hysterectomy at age 45, my weight began creeping up a few pounds a year. :sad: I weigh 165 now and am just getting back into my size 14 jeans. I want to be a size 10 again. I just retired and joined a gym. Now I have time to get some exercise. FYI, I am only 5'4" tall. :smile:

i just had my hysterectomy in january of this year, so i'm hoping to be able to continue to lose, i know it causes gaining in alot of women. thanks for sharing your story :smile:
  • Rachlovesfitness
    Rachlovesfitness Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I'm 25 years old, I was 114 in highschool...now I'm 134ish...and I'm 5'5.

Not too bad really, I shot up to 156 a couple years back, so slowly getting back to about 120.
  • Swiftdogs
    Swiftdogs Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I'll echo the advice to look at size rather than the number. I'm older than you, and was surprised that I wasn't heavier when I first stepped on the scale starting this journey. Translation - I had lost muscle in addition to adding fat. So I have a target number for calculation purposes, but my real goal is a pair of jeans that fit well several years ago.
  • nancybuss
    nancybuss Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    I'm 4' 10"
    Age 47
    weight 95

High school weight??? 100-105?

I was 112 2 years ago when I had a miscarriage at 2 months, and my weight kept going up (so sorry for your loss). I hit my "I'm sick of it" point.
    I'm pushing to find ABS for the First Time in my life, at 48 -- which starts next month.
    I workout at home. Currently doing T25 25 minutes 5 mornings a week

The scale is just a number -- true. Do we Have to be bigger when older? I'm trying to prove, no! Possibly different shaped though. our hips change, etc.
  • Zylahe
    Zylahe Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    Well im currently 5 kgs heavier than when i gotmarried, 10 years sago. but i'm 2 sizes smaller.

I have alot more muscle than then, so although i technically weigh more i have less fat.

I'm probably the same weight as highschool, but lighter than most ofuni.
    But definatly skinnier than both.
  • joanthemom8
    joanthemom8 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    I can only speak to my experience. When I am about your height and I'm 47 years old. When I was about 40 or 41 I belonged to weight watchers and after a year I had lost 30 lbs and was down to 139. They told me that they thought that was an unrealistic weight for me to maintain, though, given my age and stature. And they were right. I'm now at about 150, and struggling to stay there. I'm within my weight range, my bodyfat level is considered "acceptable" and I'm fairly healthy. So now I'm trying to improve my fitness and not get stuck on the scale. Good luck!
  • perfect_storm
    perfect_storm Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I think you can be the same weight but you do have to consider in that your body composition is different now than when you were younger, unless you are extremely fit now when you were younger you had more lean muscle. So the same weight then and now can look completely different on you. Good luck but I would focus on a nice size a 4 is a nice size and not a scale number, measurements go a long way too.
  • RAGGEDYANN1970
    Options
    I think you can be the same weight but you do have to consider in that your body composition is different now than when you were younger, unless you are extremely fit now when you were younger you had more lean muscle. So the same weight then and now can look completely different on you. Good luck but I would focus on a nice size a 4 is a nice size and not a scale number, measurements go a long way too.

i appreciate this. i was VERY unhealthy when i was younger, in fact, in college, about 100 lbs, i had the highest body fat composition of anyone in my fitness class. i am currently in excellent shape (i lift weights, heavy lifting) and my body looks completely different.

i do appreciate the input from everyone and i agree that a number on a scale is only one of many goals. thanks for responding! :smile: