Do pets feel your emotions?

Options
twinketta
twinketta Posts: 2,130 Member
I have a lil toy poodle and I swear he knows when I feel happy or sad....

I am having a bit of sad time at the moment with my dad being poorly and I am feeling really down...my lil doggie wants to cuddle with me all the time.

Do pets feel emotions from us?

Replies

• Mobilemuscle
    Mobilemuscle Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    How could they? it hasnt even been proven if god gave them brains
  • twinketta
    Options

Aww that is not so nice...I can understand if you have a gold fish :laugh:
  • padams2359
    padams2359 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Without a doubt. When someone in our house isn't feeling well, the dog will not leave their side.
  • twinketta
    Options
    Without a doubt. When someone in our house isn't feeling well, the dog will not leave their side.

Is it just a dog thing?
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options

Lol That video was funny.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    The family cat pretty much ignores me most of the time.

Except for when I am sad.

A couple of weeks ago I was feeling a bit down and was lying in bed. She jumped on the bed and lay on my chest. She stuck out her little paw and rested it on me and purred for a while. She then got and nuzzled my face.

I love that stupid cat.
  • Madame_Goldbricker
    Madame_Goldbricker Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    My staffy hides behind the living room curtains when I'm off to work. Not the best hiding place in the world like, but she tries :laugh:

*Oops obviously read that totally wrong! Yes, yes I think they pick up on how we feel.
  • Mobilemuscle
    Mobilemuscle Posts: 945 Member
    Options

Lol That video was funny.

hhehhe
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    Oh yes, but my dog is more humane than I'll ever be.
  • ThinLizzie0802
    ThinLizzie0802 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    Oh Yes
  • Sarahndipity30
    Sarahndipity30 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I've been having a pretty terrible week emotionally..our new rescue has been climbing up in my lap, purring nuzzling me etc. normally she ignores me unless she wants food.

I think they defin can. And they have emotions too. Have you seen those videos of dogs getting excited when their owners come back from deployment?! those things are so sweet. whatever it is, they sure are happy to see (and remember) their owners after a year or more.! :)
  • twinketta
    Options
    The family cat pretty much ignores me most of the time.

Except for when I am sad.

A couple of weeks ago I was feeling a bit down and was lying in bed. She jumped on the bed and lay on my chest. She stuck out her little paw and rested it on me and purred for a while. She then got and nuzzled my face.

I love that stupid cat.

She isn`t such a stupid cat after all :smooched:
  • perfect_storm
    perfect_storm Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I believe so, when I am enthusiastic my dogs are when I am calm so are they, when I am sad they want to be near me on on my lap (an 80lb boxer is not a great lap dog, but he tries the other one is a lap dog and they compete over lap space. I think animals are in tune with our emotions, IMHO anyway.
  • TribeHokie
    TribeHokie Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    I think they might. My dog used to get super cuddly when I was crying even though for the most part he liked to be off doing his own thing.
  • CaraRahl
    CaraRahl Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    my cat definitely does...I've had a lot of problems with depression in the past, and my cat always seems to know when my mood is changing and gets all loving and cuddly...the rest of the time she couldn't care less where her humans were, so long as they continued to feed her, scoop the litter box, and shower her with adoration
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Definitely, they pick up on emotions much more than understanding what you're saying
  • twinketta
    Options
    I saw an article/video in the newspaper where a soldier came home from Afghanistan and was reunited with his lab..it was so sweet... the lil doggie was over the moon. :smile:
  • michael1976_ca
    michael1976_ca Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    of couse they do they grow into the family so they can pick up good and bad vibes. i love my animals they know how to cheer me up by being all cuty like and funny both my cats and dogs
  • TheSlorax
    TheSlorax Posts: 2,401 Member
    Options
    I think so. my cat is a little *kitten* but I love him anyway. he's been extra attentive (read: needy) lately since I've been having kind of a rough time.
  • wild_wild_life
    wild_wild_life Posts: 1,334 Member
    Options
    I don't know about feel them but I definitely believe they are attuned enough to our body language to know how we are feeling on some basic level.

Sometimes when I'm in a bad mood I try to pretend I'm not so my dog doesn't get upset. :ohwell: