Baked Oatmeal Snack Bars

HealthyChanges2010
HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
edited September 21 in Recipes
Baked Oatmeal Snack Bars

If you’re in need of portable whole grains, these are perfect. They are the flavor of good nutrition!

Ingredients

1.5 cups rolled oats
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
3/4 cup dried fruit (I used 1/4 cup cranberry trail mix, 1/4 cup raisins, 1/4 cup chopped dried "just banana" from TJ’s)
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp kosher salt
1.25 cups skim milk
1 egg or egg substitute
1 tsp vanilla
Method:

Preheat oven to 350*

Mix dry ingredients.
Mix wet ingredients.
Pour wet into dry. Stir to combine.

Pour into a 9×9 baking dish either coated in cooking spray or lined with parchment.

Bake for 40 minutes.
Cut into 9 squares.
Makes 9 servings .

Each bar is appx. 165 calories, 3 grams fiber and 5 grams protein.

You can double the recipe and use a 9×13 baking dish. While delicious, the only sweetness in these comes from the dried fruit. Add in 1/4 – 1/2 cup brown sugar if you like.

The variations are endless: cranberries, coconut, all kinds of dried fruit, nuts, etc.

NOTE: These are NOT crunchy like a granola bar. They are chewy like thick muffin.

http://www.katheats.com/favorite-foods/baked-oatmeal-snack-bars/

Replies

• DeserveVictory
    DeserveVictory Posts: 133 Member
    These sound delicous! Thanks!
  • These sound really good even as a snack bar. I wonder how they would be with Gerber dried apple bits in them. I have craisins but I am not find of them. I like dried apple. Sliced almonds might be good too.
  • page68
    page68 Posts: 220 Member
    bump
  • sjd2010
    sjd2010 Posts: 106
    These sound really good.:smile:
  • HealthyChanges2010
    These sound really good even as a snack bar. I wonder how they would be with Gerber dried apple bits in them. I have craisins but I am not find of them. I like dried apple. Sliced almonds might be good too.
    I think apples would make a great fruit to add! The photos on that site really give you a feel for what they're like that's why I wanted to be sure and give the link. I'm a very visual person and pictures help alot.

I think even bananas would be good in them, (not dried) another thing I love to look through on some sites is the comment section, wow, you can really get a feel for what's worked well for others and what they've changed up before you've even tried it.

Enjoy! Would love to hear variations anyone tries and what you think of them! :tongue: The rest of her blog is excellent as well:flowerforyou: :wink:
  • shannahrose
    shannahrose Posts: 585 Member
    bump
  • I made these this morning. I used dried apples (I chopped them pretty small) and chopped craisins. I used sliced almonds. Instead of a 9x9 baking pan, I used my 9x12 baking sheet pan. I cut it into 12. Each serving was 98 calories.

The only mistake I made was the amount of skim milk. I read 1.5 but it is 1.25. My batter was really runny but it still set up quite nicely.

I cut and let cool on a rack with parchment paper. MMMMM good. Only problem now is not eating more than 1. My 2 year old had half of one for lunch. The rest are in the freezer for snacks to go.
  • Raynedancer
    Raynedancer Posts: 96 Member
    Bumpity-Bump
  • HealthyChanges2010
    :smooched:
  • :flowerforyou: Sounds delish!
  • mmm sounds yummy!
  • annhjk
    annhjk Posts: 794 Member
    Bumping for later
  • becki101_4
    becki101_4 Posts: 47 Member
    Definitely use quick rolled oats, not the large slow cooking ones. Those large oat pieces give the bars a very strange unpleasant texture. Also, I would increase the cinnamon to 2 tsp. Hopefully they taste better with those changes.
This discussion has been closed.