Sabotage!

Options
I can look at an overweight woman, and make a choice. 1. I can tell her she’s fat, and add a barrage of terrible adjectives to go with it. OR 2. I can choose to tell her that she is lovely. I can focus on her great attributes, and encourage her to continue on her momentary, hourly, daily, and weekly successes toward her goals.

Most of us think it would be terrible to take the first approach with this woman in front of me. Many of us would call the discouragement cruel and mean, and just plain unnecessary. SO MANY of us do that to ourselves though!

It is easy to get addicted and habitually put ourselves down in our inner thoughts. That person in our mirror should be treated as the *dearest friend*, not berated. Yeah, perhaps you are unhappy with where you are at. Maybe your whole life is negative. Let’s twist that focus though. Instead of looking at the muck at the proverbial bottom of the well you’re in, look up at the light and figure out the first step to reaching it, and then start climbing. Tell yourself what you would tell a dear friend.

Spend that energy turning the negative to positive. Here’s how:

When you have a negative thought about yourself, for example, “I’m fat.” IMMEDIATELY correct yourself: “I am capable of getting healthy.” Give yourself credit and keep up your efforts to improve your life. Now take that negative self-talk off of your profile and write about yourself in a positive light.

:flowerforyou:

Replies

• MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: & :heart:

This is why I joined. I want to change myself for the better, not just weight, but my attitude and mindset. I can choose to be negative about how I look and feel now, or I can choose to look at it as an opportunity for improvement. I'm a fantastic person, damnit. I just happen to weigh more now than I want.
  • octogirlpretty
    Options
    This is so lovely, thank you for this...<3
  • oxlisaxo91
    oxlisaxo91 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Bumping because this is seriously what I needed to hear today, thank you:flowerforyou:
  • 33Freya
    33Freya Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    Glad I could help! ! :flowerforyou:
  • AccioFitness
    AccioFitness Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I absolutely love this. Thank you!
  • getyourbeans
    getyourbeans Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I have, for the last ten years or so, been utterly consumed with my weight and/or appearance. I've recently decided that while I continue to want to strive for health (which includes fat loss) I no longer want to base my self worth on a number on the scale.

Rather than thinking "I am fat" I am trying to think "I HAVE fat, which I am working on reducing". There are lots of areas of my life I seek to constantly improve on and quite happily - they all have positive connotations, so I'm trying to apply the same to weight loss.

I hit my 29th birthday and just thought, I'm too old for this crap. Self loathing is a drag :-)
  • 33Freya
    33Freya Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    Well happy birthday, and cheers to you on a better and better future!!
  • 7sky
    7sky Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I truly needed that. Thanks! :flowerforyou:
  • TheGymGypsy
    TheGymGypsy Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    Trying and doing are two completely different animals, unfortunately.
  • anonniemouse
    anonniemouse Posts: 117 Member
    Options

Rather than thinking "I am fat" I am trying to think "I HAVE fat, which I am working on reducing".
    I love it. I'll have to remember this!