Plateau - and exercise calories are sometimes 2000

Options

Replies

• silken555
    silken555 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    I think it has to do more with the amount of time spent exercising seeing as several hours at once can be hard on the body.

For the setting do a forum search for setting calorie goal. I can never remember myself.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    1. When it says strenuous exercise, is that strenuous for me, or strenuous for someone of my weight, or strenuous my some sort of average definition. A 35 stone person would find walking upstairs strenuous. I can comfortable ride 20 miles, though some would find that strenuous. I rand for 30 minutes this morning which felt moderate to strenuous. How do you define it.
    2. How do you manually set a custom MFP goal - I can't find out how to do it.

1. Usually based on heart rate / breathlessness. Strenuous >140 bpm perhaps ??

2. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/change_goals_custom
  • iwatts3519
    iwatts3519 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Change your routine.... that's #1 thing to do once you hit a platue of your not lifting .. .start lifting .. if you are lifting ... fine new excersizes.

I would stop all cardio as your body has adjusted to it and do something different... maybe do a body pump class or any type of class offered at your gym... that would be a good start.
    I don't use a gym - lost my job ear lie this year and the gym had to go - hence running and cycling
  • iwatts3519
    Options
    I think it has to do more with the amount of time spent exercising seeing as several hours at once can be hard on the body.

For the setting do a forum search for setting calorie goal. I can never remember myself.

I found out how to do it, and MFP is now predicting that I shall gain weight. Is that normal and can I ignore it - I have a screenshot but cannot work out how to put it on here.
  • iwatts3519
    Options
    Thanks - I found it - not sure if i've done it right though - it is now predicting that I will gain weight
  • SuperCrsa
    SuperCrsa Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    It wasn't your suggestions making me think that I was overthinking it - glad to have your input. I presume then that if you use TDEE, which seems to make sense, especially at my weight, then you just use MFP as an overall calorie tracker without worrying about it's targets.

Yes. When using TDEE method, you would set (custom) MFP goal to your TDEE-20% number. You would then use that as your daily caloric goal. And then, when you exercise (if you want to log it), you add it in and put 1 calorie burned for your duration. This is how I've seen people do it, as I've several friends using the TDEE method. This method may be easier for you, in the long run. It's pretty simple, really, with no extra maths :)

Good luck getting things figured out and finding what works for you!

That all makes sense - it is basically spreading my exercise over the week, rather than having one day when I eat 1500 calories and another where I eat 4000. Two questions though.

1. When it says strenuous exercise, is that strenuous for me, or strenuous for someone of my weight, or strenuous my some sort of average definition. A 35 stone person would find walking upstairs strenuous. I can comfortable ride 20 miles, though some would find that strenuous. I rand for 30 minutes this morning which felt moderate to strenuous. How do you define it.

The TDEE method is great! Ive been eating at higher calories for about 70 days now, and the results on my body are awesome.
    MFP method does work, but this method I find burns more fat than lean body mass (which happens at a very low calorie deficit)
    So can I suggest take measurements/photos? Don't pay all your attention to the scale. It took me 6 weeks to see it move down (in combination with adding a strength program) And I dropped all expected weight.

I love being able to eat! And it makes me really hopeful that I can go from losing weight to maintaining once I hit my goal a lot easier. I usually go on a stuff your face run after low calorie diets and gain it all back lol.

1. The calculators are all different, I was stuck with this question for a long time too! My solution use Scrooby's calculator (http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/) cause it gives exercise in hours worked during the week :wink: Remember it is all a guestimation, nothing is 100% accurate, as we are different, but this for me personally and for a few friends that I have seen following the method, its a great way to drop that fat!

Goals - Change Goals - CUSTOM Continue and there we go :)
  • iwatts3519
    Options
    It wasn't your suggestions making me think that I was overthinking it - glad to have your input. I presume then that if you use TDEE, which seems to make sense, especially at my weight, then you just use MFP as an overall calorie tracker without worrying about it's targets.

Yes. When using TDEE method, you would set (custom) MFP goal to your TDEE-20% number. You would then use that as your daily caloric goal. And then, when you exercise (if you want to log it), you add it in and put 1 calorie burned for your duration. This is how I've seen people do it, as I've several friends using the TDEE method. This method may be easier for you, in the long run. It's pretty simple, really, with no extra maths :)

Good luck getting things figured out and finding what works for you!

That all makes sense - it is basically spreading my exercise over the week, rather than having one day when I eat 1500 calories and another where I eat 4000. Two questions though.

The TDEE method is great! Ive been eating at higher calories for about 70 days now, and the results on my body are awesome.
    MFP method does work, but this method I find burns more fat than lean body mass (which happens at a very low calorie deficit)
    So can I suggest take measurements/photos? Don't pay all your attention to the scale. It took me 6 weeks to see it move down (in combination with adding a strength program) And I dropped all expected weight.

I love being able to eat! And it makes me really hopeful that I can go from losing weight to maintaining once I hit my goal a lot easier. I usually go on a stuff your face run after low calorie diets and gain it all back lol.

1. The calculators are all different, I was stuck with this question for a long time too! My solution use Scrooby's calculator (http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/) cause it gives exercise in hours worked during the week :wink: Remember it is all a guestimation, nothing is 100% accurate, as we are different, but this for me personally and for a few friends that I have seen following the method, its a great way to drop that fat!

Goals - Change Goals - CUSTOM Continue and there we go :)

Do I just ignore all the other stats on the goal page once I have put my TDEE-20% into target calories, and just use MFP as a calorie tracker then, including the number of times exercised etc.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    However, sometimes I do a 25 mile cycle, which burns around 2500 calories...

IMO that is a significant over-estimate of the cycling calories. Around 1000 would be much closer, and even that is probably on the high side. Over the course of a week, that's averages out to about 150 extra calories a day.

Now, your running seems to be over-estimated by about 100 calories/run, which balances that out since you appear to be eating those back. So in reality, it looks to me like your body is telling you the truth - you're pretty much spot on.

HRMs are like religion on MFP - they are not necessary, and they get the calorie burns as wrong as anything else, for most people here, most of the time.
  • Mr_Knight
    Options
    1. When it says strenuous exercise, is that strenuous for me, or strenuous for someone of my weight, or strenuous my some sort of average definition.

It means strenuous by actual athlete standards. How much you or I huff and puff during these activities is irrelevant, as that has poor correlation with calorie burn.

What matters for running and cycling is (a) how much do you weigh? and (b) how far did you go?
  • iwatts3519
    Options

IMO that is a significant over-estimate of the cycling calories. Around 1000 would be much closer, and even that is probably on the high side. Over the course of a week, that's averages out to about 150 extra calories a day.

Now, your running seems to be over-estimated by about 100 calories/run, which balances that out since you appear to be eating those back. So in reality, it looks to me like your body is telling you the truth - you're pretty much spot on.

HRMs are like religion on MFP - they are not necessary, and they get the calorie burns as wrong as anything else, for most people here, most of the time.

I did a 12 mile cycle ride yesterday - Endomondo estimated it at over 1200 calories. MFP estimated it at 998 calories. According to you these are both off, but does my massive 18.5 stone make a difference - are these higher figures likely to be because I am so big? I might look and see if there are any better calculators out there to check this with.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    I can safely say you have an over estimate on your exercise calories.

What is your current weight?

I'm 44, 6'3, 215lbs(15.4 stone) and I use a HRM. When I cycle 25 miles, I am at 1400 calories. That is a huge difference.

Also if you need any recommendations, you can look at my food diary. I averaged 2300-2400 calories burned every day last week & easily ate them back. That is a total of 4500-5000 calories I ate a day. I usually don't log my last meal of the day, but you will get the drift on things you can eat to boost your calories.

Though the amount of calories burned per exercise is where your problem lies.
  • iwatts3519
    Options

I've just used several calculators for my weight, age etc for running and cycling, and endomondo seems to be overestimating but only by about 150 calories per hour of cycling - so where endomondo has me at 2500 the average of all the other calculators I have found seemed to suggest about 2200
  • iwatts3519
    Options
    I can safely say you have an over estimate on your exercise calories.

What is your current weight?

I'm 44, 6'3, 215lbs(15.4 stone) and I use a HRM. When I cycle 25 miles, I am at 1400 calories. That is a huge difference.

Also if you need any recommendations, you can look at my food diary. I averaged 2300-2400 calories burned every day last week & easily ate them back. That is a total of 4500-5000 calories I ate a day. I usually don't log my last meal of the day, but you will get the drift on things you can eat to boost your calories.

Though the amount of calories burned per exercise is where your problem lies.

I am 3 stone heavier than you - I've just used several calculators for my weight, age etc for running and cycling, and endomondo seems to be overestimating but only by about 150 calories per hour of cycling - so where endomondo has me at 2500 the average of all the other calculators I have found seemed to suggest about 2200 for 25 miles. Of course this isn't based on a HRM - just weight, speed and distance.
  • Mr_Knight
    Options
    My calculator has you burning 800 calories under the following conditions:

250 pound rider
    30 pound bike
    Riding on the bar tops
    25 miles
    90 minutes

Weight is not as important as in running (for amateurs, anyway), because it doesn't make a difference in the flats, and helps in the downhill portions. It sucks for the uphill portions, but that is more of a power issue, not an energy burn issue.
  • yarwell
    Options
    I did a 12 mile cycle ride yesterday - Endomondo estimated it at over 1200 calories. MFP estimated it at 998 calories. According to you these are both off, but does my massive 18.5 stone make a difference - are these higher figures likely to be because I am so big? I might look and see if there are any better calculators out there to check this with.

On a 14 and 16 mile ride I clocked 900 and 800 extra calories compared to sitting. The longer one was 10 mph average moving speed and 800 ft of altitude gained and lost. The shorter was 11 mph and 690 ft. The physics are that your greater weight will need more energy to move it uphill, it will generate more friction to overcome and you may have a bigger wind resistance.

As you said earlier you can overthink this. If I was at 18 stone and burned more calories on a bike ride I would be happy to pocket that as an extra fat loss and not consider eating more to cancel it out.
  • bugaha1
    bugaha1 Posts: 602 Member
    Options

I ride a lot and I usually go on 17 mile or 25 mile rides. I use Runkeeper’s calorie burn because it automatically updates to MFP for me and the total is always less than what my HRM says. Usually my 25 mile rides (depending on the wind) is 1100 to 1300 and the 17 mile ride is (800 to 950). Once I get warmed up I try and ride hard enough to keep my HR between 140’s and 150’s. That being said you’re a bigger guy so you will burn more calories.
  • iwatts3519
    Options
    OK - all you guys are saying that you calculate less than me, but what are you using to calculate. I have tried endomondo, MFP, http://www.healthstatus.com/calculate/cbc, http://www.bhf.org.uk/heart-health/prevention/calorie-calculator.aspx.

I have used age 42, 117kg, and either 20 miles or 1 hr 45 minutes (or both - when I did a 20 mile bike ride that is how long it took me)

Endomondo - 1867 calories
    http://www.bhf.org.uk/heart-health/prevention/calorie-calculator.aspx - 1638 calories
    http://www.healthstatus.com/calculate/cbc - 1787 calories
    MFP - 1638

It looks like MFP is the best way to go, so when I import from endomondo, go into mfp and recalculate it (or just disconnect the accounts and do it manually.

However, I would like to know where some of you estimating 1000 calories or less are getting these figures from. Within 2 hunder calories the above are fairly consistent.
  • yarwell
    Options
    Garmin bike computer with heart rate monitor, and Polar FT6 HRM that knows my VO2max.

https://www.bhf.org.uk/heart-health/prevention/calorie-calculator.aspx at 117 kg says 1269 calories in 1h45 or at 72 kg it says 761 calories. I haven't looked into the derivation of its equations to see if it was built on a set of data for lighter people that could lead it to overshoot on heavy people.

In general a large person is a small one in a fat suit, you don't get 62.5% more power by getting 62.5% heavier, potentially your aerobic fitness is worse.

But it doesn't matter really either way, do the exercise and reap the benefit.
  • silken555
    silken555 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    Watts, basically ignore what MFP says from now on concerning your weight. It's doing that only because you changed your goal.

Do keep your macros in a 40/30/30 split though, it keeps you on track for those.

The joy of TDEE is that the calories burned in exercise no longer need to be tracked because they've been included based off the exercise level you chose. You need to give the method a good 4 weeks at the calorie level you calculated to determine if the calorie intake is too much fro you. If it is, just drop it by 100-200 cals and test again for another 4 weeks until you find your sweet spot...:)
  • iwatts3519
    Options
    Watts, basically ignore what MFP says from now on concerning your weight. It's doing that only because you changed your goal.

Do keep your macros in a 40/30/30 split though, it keeps you on track for those.

The joy of TDEE is that the calories burned in exercise no longer need to be tracked because they've been included based off the exercise level you chose. You need to give the method a good 4 weeks at the calorie level you calculated to determine if the calorie intake is too much fro you. If it is, just drop it by 100-200 cals and test again for another 4 weeks until you find your sweet spot...:)

I shall call quits on this now - in the end I am enjoying the exercise, and am not starving. I'm not getting hungry, and I have enough energy to exercise. I may buy some dumbells and add some strength training into what I am doing.

Thank you all for your input.