Is water real important for weight loss?

Options
Hello,

is water really important for weight loss? Or you can drink tea and its the same because the base is water? How much water you drink a day? What did you feel when you start to drink more water/tea?

I listen that to calculate our water daily we do "0,035 x weight = water in Lt"
For exemple in my case 0,035 x 89kgs = 3,115 Lt

Thank you

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Overrated. It helps flush sodium, other than that, as long as your pee is clear, you're good.
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    Hello,

is water really important for weight loss? Or you can drink tea and its the same because the base is water? How much water you drink a day? What did you feel when you start to drink more water/tea?

I listen that to calculate our water daily we do "0,035 x weight = water in Lt"
    For exemple in my case 0,035 x 89kgs = 3,115 Lt

Thank you

I actually find that calculation to be quite accurate. I am roughly 87kg currently, and I need about 3L of water, or I *gain* a good kg in water weight. When I was 103kg, I was under the care of a urologist, and he did urine tests that determined I needed about 3.6L daily to be properly hydrated.

IMO, you should aim to have water be the majority of your fluid intake for the day. I have had 20oz coffee, 96oz water and roughly 20oz decaf tea.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    You need enough fluids to keep your urine pale yellow. Doesn't matter if it's water, tea, coffee, soda, juice, milk or from the food you eat. No need to consume large quantities of water and it does nothing for weight loss except maybe make you less hungry if you guzzle a glass or 2 before you eat.
  • FirozKhanGoury
    Options
    Your post gives me a great help. Thanks for sharing…
  • nelinelineli
    nelinelineli Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    You need enough fluids to keep your urine pale yellow. Doesn't matter if it's water, tea, coffee, soda, juice, milk or from the food you eat. No need to consume large quantities of water and it does nothing for weight loss except maybe make you less hungry if you guzzle a glass or 2 before you eat.

This. Check your urine and adjust accordingly.
  • ADietadaM
    ADietadaM Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    thank you for your answers
  • sarahrbraun
    Options

This. Check your urine and adjust accordingly.

...but what if you are taking fish oil and B vitamins and you ALWAYS have bright yellow urine?
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    ...but what if you are taking fish oil and B vitamins and you ALWAYS have bright yellow urine?

sniff it
  • jillianbeeee
    jillianbeeee Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I am going to go against the grain here and say YES water is extremely important. I drink at LEAST 5 bottles a day. It keeps me from drinking sodas, keeps my cravings down and makes me feel better in general. I put the bottles on the top shelf of my fridge and make sure I drink them all each day. The benefits of drinking water have a long list of pros and the only con I can even think of is that it makes you pee more but that levels out over time. If your exercising a lot its even more important.

The functions of water in human body are vital. The water:

Transports nutrients and oxygen into cells
    Moisturizes the air in lungs
    Helps with metabolism
    Protects our vital organ
    Helps our organs to absorb nutrients better
    Regulates body temperature
    Detoxifies
    Protects and moisturizes our joints

http://www.mangosteen-natural-remedies.com/benefits-of-drinking-water.html
  • TeresaMarie46
    TeresaMarie46 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I am going to go against the grain here and say YES water is extremely important. I drink at LEAST 5 bottles a day. It keeps me from drinking sodas, keeps my cravings down and makes me feel better in general. I put the bottles on the top shelf of my fridge and make sure I drink them all each day. The benefits of drinking water have a long list of pros and the only con I can even think of is that it makes you pee more but that levels out over time. If your exercising a lot its even more important.

Helps with metabolism
    Protects our vital organ

Detoxifies

^^ This^^.......... Even a Dr. or Nutrition expert will tell you how important water is for your body. Water is my main choice of drink. I drink it all day, with the exception of mealtimes, then I drink ice tea sweetened with Splenda. Sodas and many juices have hidden sugars which in my opinion leads to self sabotage.
  • sarahrbraun
    Options

sniff it

I have a cold, and can't smell a thing.
  • cingle87
    cingle87 Posts: 717 Member
    Options

sniff it

I have a cold, and can't smell a thing.

Ask a friend to sniff if for you, im sure someone owes you a favour?
  • flumi_f
    flumi_f Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    Water is important for life :flowerforyou:

During weightloss it can stabilize help some of those not so loved weight fluctations, because it washes out excess sodium and helps get rid of retained water.

We often underestimate the water that we 'eat' with our food. I drink between 2-4L per day and eat alot of veggies. It mostly depends on the weather and my exercise programm.
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options

Helps with metabolism
    Protects our vital organ
    Detoxifies

This is the right answer. Only water is water. Drink all the other things you please, but also drink water. It helps your whole system.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    This is the right answer. Only water is water. Drink all the other things you please, but also drink water. It helps your whole system.

All the fluids you drink count towards your water goal. Everything we drink is a water suspension, water being the universal solvent.
  • mjrkearney
    mjrkearney Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    Three liters a days sounds about right, though certain liquids will be better for hydration than others. Coffee obviously does have water as its base, but I don't count it towards my water goal because I never absorb very much of it.
  • wnbrice
    wnbrice Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Also the response to shortages to water and food are very hard to distinguish. outside of something like a dry tongue.

When I am hungry or craving something my process is this:

Drink a crap ton of water, does that make the craving go away after about 15 minutes?
    Have salt and more water, does this make the cravings go away after about 15 minutes?
    If I am still hungry I will have something small, probably around 200 calories or so if it is outside of my normal meal times and just adjust my calories for the rest of the day.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Also the response to shortages to water and food are very hard to distinguish. outside of something like a dry tongue.

When I am hungry or craving something my process is this:

Drink a crap ton of water, does that make the craving go away after about 15 minutes?
    Have salt and more water, does this make the cravings go away after about 15 minutes?
    If I am still hungry I will have something small, probably around 200 calories or so if it is outside of my normal meal times and just adjust my calories for the rest of the day.

That totally depends on the person honestly. When I'm hungry, no amount of water is going to make it go away, and I'm typically sipping on water all day.
  • writemusic4him
    writemusic4him Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    All doctors & professionals will always say so because it is cleaning out your system. Having worked in dialysis, we learned the importance of flushing your kidneys to prevent kidney failure. It is one of the most secure medical industries out there because as time passes, more & more folks need dialysis when they get older because of unhealthy living all their life. And people are getting "younger" all the time who need it. People who are overweight, have diabetes, high cholesterol, etc from unhealthy living are racking up the numbers of people ending up on dialysis. All they preached was WATER, WATER, WATER. And of course, eat right and keep your weight down.

Let me tell you what a wakeup call that was for us that worked there. Working with anyone under their 60's & on dialysis was hard bc that could be you. And then, those who are "old" and on dialysis is really hard on their bodies. I felt awful for them to, to have to end their life that way. It makes travel & going out & doing things much more difficult.

So I would say YES! ABSOLUTELY!
  • butterfli7o
    butterfli7o Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options

Helps with metabolism
    Protects our vital organ
    Detoxifies

I agree that a sufficient amount of water is important, but not crucial for weight loss. For the reasons above; great. For weight loss itself, no.