Want Six Pack Abs

Options
Hi all, I need your help and advice! I am 5'10.5" tall and about 160 lbs. My lowest weight was 132 but I would like to stay around 150-160 and strong.

I get confused when I see people posting their weight and they are sooo much shorter than me, but about the same weight, who look thinner than me. I don't carry my weight well for my height. I'm definitely not fat but I'm squishy.

I have never been muscular, but I would like to be. My fitness goals are to get a solid stomach/abs, a nice butt, and some muscles on my thighs and arms. Basically what everyone wants.

For those of you that have solid abs, please tell me what workouts got you there. Right now I am doing a mix of cardio and weights, and just started going to classes at the gym.

Thank you, and please add me! I need all the help I can get.:wink:

Replies

• wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    You have to have very little body fat to have visible abs. I've never had, nor ever will, have a 6 pack and I'm not overweight.
  • Ophidion
    Ophidion Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    You have to have very little body fat to have visible abs. I've never had, nor ever will, have a 6 pack and I'm not overweight.
    QFT^ BF% and genetics are the factors involved for visible abs.
  • The_WoIverine
    The_WoIverine Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    1- Abs are made in the kitchen (you really have to eat properly to lower your body fat while gain/retain muscle mass)
    2- Since your abdominal muscles are part of a group muscle that are constantly being used for posture purposes, in order to develop them and make them grow you'll need to work them really hard. Many people think doing 1000 crunches will give them a six-pack, and while they might achieve a flat stomach at some point, it doesn't necessarily mean they could get a nice looking six-pack. Of course, those genetically gifted sneeze and they get a six-pack, but for those who are not, they need to work the abs heavy from every angle possible.
  • emmanap91
    emmanap91 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I don't have a full 6-pack (see my profile pics for reference), but I'm well on my way. It's mainly a result of low body fat (I'm super pear shaped, so I carry very little fat in my abdomen). The exercise is secondary.

oh, and I'm 5'3" and ~120 pounds, with 33-25-38 measurements.
  • livesthere
    Options
    Thanks guys! My body fat right now is definitely higher than usual but I'm still in the "average" range for my height. I will keep on keepin on with what I'm doing (I have made some huge changes to my diet in the last couple of months) and have already seen some great results. And you all look AWESOME!