Can a partial vegetarian have success with Atkins

Options

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Combining the restrictive traits of two totally different, yet highly restrictive nutritional lifestyles is a recipe for failure for 99% of people out there.

Emma_Watson_THIS_Gif.gif
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    Lady, you just blew my mind.

As a former vegetarian, when Atkins was popular back in the 90's it was impossible for me to even try it. Try another diet.
    IIFIYM is a great one.
  • cookiealbright
    cookiealbright Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    I'm with the "Why Atkins?" crowd. Just lower your carbs & sugar intake, it that's where your concerns are. You shouldn't have to change anything else in your diet.
  • jaycbrf4
    Options
    The reason Atkins works, regardless of what the book says, is because you're cutting your calories. Plain and simple. I did Atkins for about 6 months last year and plateaued at 10 lbs. down, because...surprise! Surprise! I was no longer eating at a caloric deficit.

As an aspiring vegetarian, I wouldn't recommend Atkins for you. Is it doable? Possibly...but, it won't be enjoyable. Atkins, imo, is NOT a sustainable lifestyle for many people. However, neither is a vegetarian lifestyle. Yes, people do it, but to attempt to adhere to TWO very restrictive dietary regimens and one time is just extremely ambitious. I'd say that you should calorie count and continue on your path to a vegetarian lifestyle, rather than attempt to incorporate Atkins into your approach. If you want, you can cut back on your bread, pasta, and sugar consumption. That would lower your carbs, help stabilize your blood sugar, and allow you to incorporate more nutritious veggies and meat substitutes, like legumes (which are higher in carbs) into your diet.

The reason Atkins didn't work for you is because you did it wrong... You in no way cut calories. Just saying you are "doing" Atkins does not mean you are doing it right. Did you read the book? I actually eat more calories and was losing a pound a day for the first few weeks. I am now 36lbs down and within a few of my goal weight.

You don't need to be in a caloric deficit to lose weight. Just eating the right foods so your body can burn fat instead of store it. Whether it be "doing" Atkins or another "healthy" eating plan. Either way, sugars and processed grains are not good for anyone.
  • wallacehk
    Options
    Haven't read all these posts, but am in a similar boat to you. I do eat seafood, and will occassionally eat chicken (for example if I'm at someone's place for dinner). I'm not going as extreme as Atkins, but have upped my protein intake and vastly reduced my carb intake and am feeling a lot better for it.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    You don't need to be in a caloric deficit to lose weight. Just eating the right foods so your body can burn fat instead of store it. Whether it be "doing" Atkins or another "healthy" eating plan. Either way, sugars and processed grains are not good for anyone.

You are absolutely wrong. Losing weight IS about calorie in/calories burned. It's about portion control. There is no magic food, just food.

Sugar and grains are fine in moderation, just as anything else is, unless your doctor says otherwise or you have a sensitivity or allergy to certain food.
  • egh1974
    egh1974 Posts: 147
    Options
    What exactly is a "partial vegetarian" anyway? Which part of you is left?
  • Muzida
    Muzida Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    that sounds all very interesting
  • Muzida
    Muzida Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    So why are you doing Atkins exactly? Eat at a deficit, watch your macros (Fat, Protein, Carbs), exercise, and you'll lose weight.

I'm vegetarian and gluten free, have never tried Atkins (and never will), and am within 2lb of my "goal" weight following the above guidelines.

Can I ask what your macros are?
  • nikilis
    nikilis Posts: 2,305 Member
    Options
    Combining the restrictive traits of two totally different, yet highly restrictive nutritional lifestyles is a recipe for failure for 99% of people out there.

Emma_Watson_THIS_Gif.gif

agree-o.gif

why would you cut out food groups? thats disordered eating. it doesn't even yield better results.

its a waste of time. just eat what you want within your limit. thats it.

/thread.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options

You don't need to be in a caloric deficit to lose weight.
    I'm afraid Science disagree with you
  • SurfyFriend
    SurfyFriend Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    Define success.
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    Hang on, hang on, just so I've got this right...

You're mostly vegetarian, and you want to try a diet that is mostly meat?

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Is a partial vegetarian like being slightly pregnant?
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Can you please blog about your experience. I'm always curious about the the human condition.

I'd like to understand why you are attempting two restrictive diets at the same time.

Atkins is a high protein low carb diet ( and CAN be done while being a vegetarian) but its going to be rough. No starchy legumes.And 150+ grams per meal of protein from ... well, eggs and fish if you are dropping meat. How about cheese?
    It's going to be very very bland likely and require a lot of planning.

And one might risk nutritional issues if by restriction you are only eating a few things. So plan carefully.

But if your goals is weight loss - you don't need Atkins. If you want to try it - why not. Why not eat whatever you like in reasonable quantities and still lose weight?
  • Miss_Meliss86
    Miss_Meliss86 Posts: 372 Member
    Options

I'm sorry, what? Care to explain what exactly you mean by "You don't need to be in a caloric deficit to lose weight"? You may want to check your science again...this is the very basis of MFP!
    So why are you doing Atkins exactly? Eat at a deficit, watch your macros (Fat, Protein, Carbs), exercise, and you'll lose weight.

I'm vegetarian and gluten free, have never tried Atkins (and never will), and am within 2lb of my "goal" weight following the above guidelines.

Can I ask what your macros are?

My macros are currently set at: 45% carbs, 25% fat, and 35% protein. It's worked for me so far, but I've had to make adjustments. You have to do what's right for you, but trying to restrict yourself to the extreme that Atkins does is just asking for trouble.

Also not entirely sure what you mean by "partial vegetarian"? Is it like vegetarian with cheat days? Everyone chooses vegetarian for different reasons, but that kind of defeats the purpose does it not?
  • Ophidion
    Ophidion Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    Can you please blog about your experience. I'm always curious about the the human condition.

I'd like to understand why you are attempting two restrictive diets at the same time.

Atkins is a high protein low carb diet ( and CAN be done while being a vegetarian) but its going to be rough. No starchy legumes.And 150+ grams per meal of protein from ... well, eggs and fish if you are dropping meat. How about cheese?
    It's going to be very very bland likely and require a lot of planning.

And one might risk nutritional issues if by restriction you are only eating a few things. So plan carefully.

But if your goals is weight loss - you don't need Atkins. If you want to try it - why not. Why not eat whatever you like in reasonable quantities and still lose weight?
    +1
    The results and your ability for adherence would prove most interesting.

That being said I think you are over-complicating it when there are much simpler methods.
  • kiramaniac
    kiramaniac Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    Atkins is pretty similar to keto. You might wat to check out the vegetarian keto subreddit over at reddit.
    http://www.reddit.com/r/vegetarianketo/
  • bacitracin
    bacitracin Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    Adkins isn't healthy anyway.

Uhm, got any proof low-carb is unhealthy? :)

Never said low carb was not healthy pal :)
  • bacitracin
    bacitracin Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    After several months my cholesterol went thru the roof. Once I cut back (not eliminated) on my red meat, butter, heavy cream and whole egg (I eat a whole egg and egg whites now) consumption it went back to normal.

Huh. I ate only red meat, cheese, eggs, and almonds for 7 months and my cholesterol was *too low*. I had to supplement with more butter and fish oil to get my cholesterol up to a normal level.