Hello, New Here-A Quick Intro

Options
Hi,

I'm new here so first a brief intro. I am recovering from a ED and though not "officially" underweight per BMI I am on the edge with 18.5. I've been told that online BMI calculators are not terribly accurate and I suspect that is true as my upper body is pretty much nothing but skin and muscle. (I work out regularly)

I want to continue to exercise because it does help clear my mind and keeps me going another day. I am trying to concentrate therefore on correct food intake. One of my biggest headaches with mayfitnesspal is the sugar number so on advice from another forum I've taken that off my list. 90% (if not more) of my sugar comes from natural sources (fruits, veggies, etc) so I think that I am OK there. My other biggest headache is that the weight seems to all go to my stomach instead of my upper body where I need it, I wish I knew how to stop that as all the stomach crunches in the world do not seem to help! :-/

The last headache (well the last one I can think of for now lol) is I am never sure whether I am really hungry or if I'm just craving junk. When I feel like that I will munch on a bag of carrots but sometimes I feel as though maybe my body really just needs to eat a bit more so lately I've been trying to do things like crackers and peanut butter or hummus.

Anyway, that is why I am here and I will look around a bit if you don't mind... Thanks!

Replies

• Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    Welcome

I suggest you try to ensure you have a balance of foods. Potassium is one item which is essential for a cell to function properly. Not all foods listed give potassium even if it is in there I suggest look up foods you regularly eat and keep a log of this. Milk products are good so is cauliflower. I try to be vegetarian so no idea about meats. Calcium too helps the cells too.

best wished for a healthy future
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP. The best thing you can do if you want proper advice is to log all your food and drinks and open your diary otherwise people are just guessing and yes read the forums as much as you can so you can learn what to do. Ignore the sugar number on here if you know you aren't eating lots of sweets. Nothing wrong with fruit. Most of the most sucessful people on here never track sugar and eat icecream all the time.
  • va_wildflower
    Options
    Yeah, I guess you are right. If I am going to ask for help I should unlock my diary. I will give it a try, hopefully I won't find it to be triggering..