Hey guys I RAN hey guys I RAN! I RAN!

Options
tapirfrog
tapirfrog Posts: 616 Member
Fourteen months ago I detached some ligaments in my back and sprained my knee, and ever since then I've done physical therapy (painful), orthopedic exercises (painful, tedious), walking along trails I used to run (painful, tedious, sad). I've gritted my teeth and done every single thing I'm supposed to do and hated every minute of it and with great attention to detail lost a whopping quarter of a pound per month.

Yesterday afternoon it was cool and foggy, perfect running weather, and I said "*kitten* it" and put on my Enell Bra for the first time since September 1012 and

I

RAN.

FOR TWENTY SIX MINUTES.

UP HILLS AND ON DIRT AND BETWEEN TREES AND PAST DOGGIES AND UNDER FALLING LEAVES I RAN AND RAN AND RAN!

And you know what? I wasn't tired. I mean, yeah, first time out so I went slow, but I was doing a pace that I remember being acceptable before, and it was no problem keeping it up. I finally stopped just because I was worried about my tendons. I was so un-tired that during my cooldown I looked around and said "Hmm, what else can I do?"

PSA: The Dailey Method CD is an amazing workout. I've been doing it ever since I got injured, and I'm just now able to get 35 minutes into the hour-long class before having to stop for a break, and that translates into 26 minutes up and down hills without strain, first time out.

I RAN, DID I MENTION????

Thank you for your kind attention. You may continue with your day now.

Replies

• SunnyDee712
    SunnyDee712 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    That is SOOOO awesome! I'm happy for you!!!
  • Slrajr
    Slrajr Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Huh? Did you run???? 26 minutes is so awesome, well done!
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    Awesome!! Well done you! And thanks for the shout out for The Daily Method. I'd never heard of it, and it looks like a great program.
  • Allterrain_Lady
    Allterrain_Lady Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    I've heard you run?!! GREAT JOB!! Awesome news!
  • LishLash79
    LishLash79 Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    awesome ... you killed it.. keep it up ;)
  • 1968samuel
    1968samuel Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Great job! Thanks for the info on The Daily Method.
  • Omoe11
    Omoe11 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Good for you! That's awesome!!
  • Binkie1955
    Binkie1955 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    While I'm so happy for you, it sounds like you were, before the injury, the kind of athlete who pushes themselves pretty hard. I know how hard you want to get back to that but please be careful ok??

I'm an old guy (58) and I do try to stay in shape but have found that injuries really set me back, sometime for months at a time. my healing processes are just not what they were when I was younger and every old injury that I've ever had, that I thought was totally fixed, seems to aggravate and be prone to 're-injury'.

so by all means, I congratulate you, I am happy for you and I'm glad you are on the mend but don't be afraid to just take it slow and let the recovery take the time that it needs to get you back to 100%
  • flumi_f
    flumi_f Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    That is so COOL! You are on your way back! Take it slow, but run with that great feeling! (Note: If there were a jumping up and down smily, it would be here....jumping up and down for you :drinker: )

Nice for you to know, that the work and the other work out have helped you keep your stamina!

Enjoy your next run :flowerforyou:
  • AisforAmazing19
    Options
    Hey, CONGRATS! Nice work :)
  • ShapenerFiterrati
    ShapenerFiterrati Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Yay!!! Keep it up and congratulations!!!
  • janupshaw
    janupshaw Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Way to go! You're baaack!
  • Samuraiko
    Samuraiko Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Go you! Seriously!

I haven't gone running since I did cross-country in high school (and some informal running in college, not for the school team or anything), but good for you that you did the sensible thing and took it slow and still were able to do it!

*loud whistles and applause*
  • sarahertzberger
    sarahertzberger Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Awesome!!!!!!!!!
  • GiGiBeans
    GiGiBeans Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    Running through leaves, over hills and jumping over rocks SOOO MUCH FUN! Glad you had that fun again. Are you as excited as i am for SNOW?!? Weeeee!
  • tapirfrog
    tapirfrog Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    While I'm so happy for you, it sounds like you were, before the injury, the kind of athlete who pushes themselves pretty hard. I know how hard you want to get back to that but please be careful ok??

I'm an old guy (58) and I do try to stay in shape but have found that injuries really set me back, sometime for months at a time. my healing processes are just not what they were when I was younger and every old injury that I've ever had, that I thought was totally fixed, seems to aggravate and be prone to 're-injury'.

so by all means, I congratulate you, I am happy for you and I'm glad you are on the mend but don't be afraid to just take it slow and let the recovery take the time that it needs to get you back to 100%

[shifty eyes]

I ... um. What makes me curious is, how you knew all that. You been spyin'?

I'm 51. It actually helps that you told me about how Injuries take longer to recover from as you age. Makes me feel like less of a freak.

I promise I won't run again for at least four days, and when I do, I will go half the time. I can't be dumb about this. ... Next time.
  • trunkfish
    trunkfish Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Rantastic!
  • ThePlight
    ThePlight Posts: 3,593 Member
    Options
    Haha, congrats!! I ran for like 15 minutes today, but my head is killing me :P

YOU RAN!! I RAN TOO :D lol :)
    Let us run together ;) haha
  • AmyZ46
    AmyZ46 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I only ran for 4and a half minutes and was waititng to tell someone too !

I was so excited...Probably as excited as you are becasue this is the longest I have ran in 25 years !!

Congrats on your wonderful Run !
  • Nico_the_enabler
    Nico_the_enabler Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Yay. Thats really awesome.!! Enjoy the endorphins :P
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!