What Are Your Tips on Limiting Sweets ?

Options
I can understand not to have them in the house, but what if they're readily available ?
"Think I'll just grab a large cookie... Or 2... Or 4"

How about at events (like fairs or theme parks), or just in town ? "I'm the one doing all these errands. I deserve that XL triple shot dirty chai with whole milk, and extra whip cream"

Replies

• nikkylyn
    nikkylyn Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I limit myself to 200 calories of sweets per day. I log it right away so I know when I'm close to or at my limit. I eat chocolate almost everyday.
  • lucan07
    lucan07 Posts: 509
    Options
    I just ask myself if I want to lose weight and get fit or do I want to eat the sweet and I don't eat the sweet. If you would rather have the few moments satisfaction than weight loss and fitness then you should carry on and eat them!

The only one that can make the decision and help you is you!
  • flumi_f
    flumi_f Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    I still enjoy my sweets everday...

I plan and log my food ahead of time. That way I don't kid myself....'awe its just one more cookie...'

If its in my calorie allowance after planning healthy meals, I can have it. If not, I usually let it be.
  • RachaelStJ
    RachaelStJ Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I opt to have smaller portions of some things I really want. Or less of the added extras. Or just have a bite off of a friend or family member's treat!

I used to drink a grande white chocolate mocha EVERY morning, sometimes another in the afternoon. Some days, I still need that caffeine and I'm not a fan of how bitter coffee is! So I switched to Americanos - they use water instead of milk - and have them add half the regular amount of white chocolate. Bam! 95 calories! Still a lot of sugar, but it's a treat, not an every day thing. So instead of "XL triple shot dirty chai with whole milk, and extra whip cream," have a medium dirty chai with nonfat milk and light whip cream. It will still taste as good, but much less calories! Although, I have no idea what a dirty chai is (and I'm from Seattle, so that is embarassing!), maybe you can just get regular chai or half of whatever ingredient makes it a dirty chai.

Like @Lucan07 said, you have to decide if it is worth it to you. I try to think of the funny saying "Nothing tastes as good as skinny feels."
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    Sweets are a really a hard thing for me. I've tried the whole moderation thing but it just doesn't work for me regarding sugar. The more sweets I eat, the more I want to eat in general. Seems to be a blood sugar thing. I just pretend I'm diabetic. Just cutting them out in general has been most effective for me. They don't have much nutritional value so I just try to find other things that I enjoy or that comfort me that are not food.
  • Iron_Lotus
    Iron_Lotus Posts: 2,295 Member
    Options
    If I want it I make room for it, I never deny myself.
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options

I plan and log my food ahead of time. That way I don't kid myself....'awe its just one more cookie...'

If its in my calorie allowance after planning healthy meals, I can have it. If not, I usually let it be.
    Absolutely this. I prelog every day's meals and treats on the evening before so that I know I am meeting my calorie/macro/micro/fiber goals. And that way, if I am tempted, all I have to think is, "I don't need that cookie right now, I'm having ice cream tonight." :drinker:
  • aimeemarie150
    aimeemarie150 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    I don't eat sweets unless I really want them.

Instead, I eat something healthy that doesn't pack on the sugars. The calories aren't what you should worry about, it's the sugars!!!!

I advise only eating these as a treat, definitely not an every day thing!!! You won't help your body by overloading the sugars.

Anymore, I only eat sugary sweets every once in a while. No crazy cravings either!
  • laserturkey
    laserturkey Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    When I want to devote some of my calories to a treat, I decide in advance how many calories and then I carefully measure out that amount. I take time to really savor the treat, too, by focusing on it and enjoying every bit. Sometimes it helps to have treats that are easily divided into some fraction of a serving, like jellybeans or chocolate-covered raisins. I don't waste calories on substandard things. When I buy Jelly Belly jellybeans, I buy ONLY my favorite flavors. If I decide to have ice cream, I won't "settle" for a flavor I don't like all that well. Why waste calories on something that's just so-so?
  • JeaninePaige
    JeaninePaige Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    If I want it I make room for it, I never deny myself.

2nd this. When you start depriving yourself that's when you set yourself up for failure. Just work it into your macros and have self control.
  • aimeemarie150
    aimeemarie150 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Sweets are a really a hard thing for me. I've tried the whole moderation thing but it just doesn't work for me regarding sugar. The more sweets I eat, the more I want to eat in general. Seems to be a blood sugar thing. I just pretend I'm diabetic. Just cutting them out in general has been most effective for me. They don't have much nutritional value so I just try to find other things that I enjoy or that comfort me that are not food.

This is because you're eating, but you're not getting any nutrition. Your feeding your body, and your stomach gets full momentarily, but you're still hungry because you're not nourishing your body. This is why good foods fill you up faster. MSG and some carbs work the same way.
  • minizebu
    minizebu Posts: 2,716 Member
    Options
    I try to make sure that I am getting a good amount of protein (25-30g) at my first meal of the day and another good amount of protein (25-30g) at my second meal of the day.

Protein helps to curb the appetite and minimizes hunger and cravings. Sweet things have less appeal when I have eaten protein rich meals.
  • links_slayer
    links_slayer Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    "I'm the one doing all these errands. I deserve that XL triple shot dirty chai with whole milk, and extra whip cream"

ummmmm.....no, you don't.

time to learn some discipline and self control. easier said than done? maybe, maybe not. no one said this is going to be easy.
  • Mr_Starr
    Mr_Starr Posts: 139 Member
    Options

^^^ This.

I am not about to give up chocolate and desserts.

So now i emphasize quality over quantity. I WILL make accommodations in my diet for a good pie, chocolate, or other tasty treat. But it also means i am not tempted by cheap costco cakes people bring to work, soda (aka liquid candy), etc. I want to make sure I get maximum enjoyment of every morsel of yummy sweetness without any guilt.

Today I am going to have a Moonstruck Truffle with some cognac. Actually i probably will have 1/2 a truffle today.

I also don't keep treats around the house. A box of truffles or good chocolate bar is an exception. So when my wife or I bake some cookies or other dessert, we have two each for two days, and then we make sure we give the rest away quickly.
  • Phoenix_Warrior
    Phoenix_Warrior Posts: 1,633 Member
    Options
    I pay attention to my macros, personally but I don't track sugar. I had a cup of pumpkin ice cream and a pumpkin spice snickerdoodle cookie before bed last night. I plan ahead and edit accordingly but I will never go over my alloted calories. That's my main focus. Sugar awaaaay!
  • writemusic4him
    writemusic4him Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Baby steps. I've been working my way off of them. First by replacing some of my favorites with lower cal versions - like fat free chocolate pudding or the weight watchers chocolate ice-cream bars. Then by incorporating more fruit. Also drinking your water everyday helps too not crave so much. Eventually now, when I think about stopping by for a McD's ice-cream cone like I always would...I don't even want one when I think about it :)
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I log them first, then have a good look at my remaining calories for the day, making sure I have enough calories for dinner. Or I go for an alternative, like a Quest protein bar or a protein shake... way more filling than a candy bar for less calories.

I totally agree with quality over quantity too. It has to be really good to be worth my calories

If you don't hold yourself accountable to your diary, nobody will do it for you.
  • smh1067
    smh1067 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I find adding fruit to my day really helps keep those cravings down. I have the best success with a smoothie in the morning that tastes like dessert: 1/2 milk, 1/2 c fat free cottage cheese, 1-2 tbs baking cocoa, a few drops vanilla, 1 banana, 1 tbs honey or sweetener of choice, 8-10 ice cubes. Blend until smooth. You can also replace the banana with 1/4 uncooked oats and a tbs of peanut butter. It sounds kinda weird, but everyone in my family is always trying to sip out of my glass and my husband has a vendetta against health food if that tells you anything. Feels like I get dessert in the morning so I don't feel the "need" to grab junk when I'm out. Plus bringing snacks with you in your purse and that's what you eat instead of the other things, no exceptions. I also usually have a pure fruit or fruit veggie smoothie at night when I'm feeling snacky and it kicks cravings to the curb.

You actually deserve NOT to have a whipped mocha caramel latte or whatever, your body deserves better than that. You deserve better than that.

It's taken me awhile to figure out the psychological side of things, and I still have to work on things sometimes, but you have to stay disciplined and really change the way you view food. It can't be "I can't have that" and has to be "I don't want that in my body for this reason: fill in the blank." You have to feel in charge, not like a deprived victim.

Viewing food as a no-no and "cheating" on eating healthy all the time only short-changes yourself. You can still have sweets once in awhile, just work it into your daily allotment, but stay away from foods you know you can't eat responsibly until you have better control.

Expect slip-ups and don't let them ruin your progress. One fancy coffee won't hurt you, but doing it everyday can really add up if you're not planning for it.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    I can understand not to have them in the house, but what if they're readily available ?
    "Think I'll just grab a large cookie... Or 2... Or 4"

How about at events (like fairs or theme parks), or just in town ? "I'm the one doing all these errands. I deserve that XL triple shot dirty chai with whole milk, and extra whip cream"
    That's what counting calories is about. Set your macro goals to something you know you can reasonably do and then stick to them.