Going on a sugar detox! Wanna join?

Options
Hi!

So I've been dealing with some health challenges since April of this year. Not sure exactly what's going on and currently working with a natropathic doctor to help sort it out.

Without getting into the whole story of it all, yesterday I was at work and realized I feel addicted to sugar. Granted I've been okay being around candy (fun time of year!), but wanting gum, consuming Lara Bars, mejdool dates, and other source of sugar like wanting more fruit during the day than veggies ... I realized I need to reduce my sugar intake by a lot.

So today I vowed to start day 1 of detoxing from sugar. This includes fruit for the time being. Fruit's tricky because I love having fruit in my smoothies and oatmeal so I had miso soup and oatmeal without any fruit! I felt naked!

So anyone else want to join in? No rules, just cutting out sugar however you feel is best? Eating too many candies? Maybe cut out candies ... or those sodas, whatever it is, let's support each other because it may be a bumpy ride!!

Feel free to add me as a friend too!! I'm planning on logging my food and status updates about how I do each day!

Replies

• spdaphne
    spdaphne Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Just wrapped up my 2nd day with no sugar ... feeling a bit sluggish, low energy and like i'm getting sick, but hoping it's because of the sugar withdrawal.

I'm not craving sugar, fruit or candy at all. Maybe it's not as bad as I thought it was going to be? We'll see how I do at work tomorrow ... just need to remember to keep my meals regular and space it throughout the day. I will say I miss fruit at breakfast and fruit in oatmeal and smoothies ... I want to make my banana flaxseed oatmeal pancakes but I can't eat them yet ... we'll see if I feel like adding in a serving of fruit this coming weekend to see what happens.
  • socioseguro
    socioseguro Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    Hi

I wish you luck in your journey

I do not believe on eliminating a food category. Eventually I will eat some in the future and my body will keep every particle of the "forbidden food" .

I have decreased most of the added sugar in my meals.

I drink my tea and/or coffee without any sugar or sugar substitute. I also have replaced all sodas and bottled juices with plain water and my own fruit shake, prepared on a blender.
    I prefer to have my sugar as part of fruit, preferably with a lot of fiber: apple and pear with skin, all types of berries and whatever fruit is in season.
  • junctiongirl
    junctiongirl Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Hi! I am actually doing a more intense detox for 30 days, sugar is one of the items I am eliminating :)
  • bstevens1021
    Options
    Today is my day 1 of no sugar. I went to the doctor yesterday and had some blood work done, worked out a diet and exercise plan with her, and was prescribed a medication to help me (since I'm considered "morbidly obese", although I definitely don't think I look it, I qualify for this medication). Starting today, for a minimum of two weeks, I am not to have any non-fruit sugar. I'm not cutting out fruits because that's actually one of the ingredients in my breakfast smoothie (also prescribed by the doctor), but other than that I am cutting it out completely. It's going to be difficult for me because I absolutely am addicted to sugar (have known this for years but have only made half-hearted attempts in the past to cut it out).

I wish you good luck on your journey, and feel free to request me as a friend so we can support each other through our sugar withdrawals!
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    I hope this is a joke! :huh:
  • Fit_Mama84
    Fit_Mama84 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I'm doing something similar. It's a 27 day sugar challenge through my work. We can have fruit and natural sugar but nothing with processed or added sugar. Today is day one and it's going really well. :)
  • bstevens1021
    Options
    I hope this is a joke! :huh:

Why in the world would this be a joke? What's wrong with wanting to cut out processed sugar?
  • WeepingAngel81
    WeepingAngel81 Posts: 2,232 Member
    Options
    I decided from the start that sugar was a big source of contention for me, but I won't give up fruits becuase they are full of so many good nutrients our bodies need. I stopped drinking soda, switched to sugar free creamer, stopped eating cookies and candy. Every so often I will have a small piece of candy, but that's only a couple of times a month. There are ways of cutting back your sugar without getting rid of the healthy stuff.
    Good luck, and please look into the difference between sugars found in fruit compared to added sugars found in candy and sweets. They both contain fructose and sucrose, but your body will process them differently which is where they differ.
  • spdaphne
    spdaphne Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    @hollydubs85 ... yeah, why would this be a joke?

@weepingangel8 ... thanks for your post. that's great you stopped drinking soda and have made progress on finding a way to manage your sugar intake. I'm totally aware there's a difference between processed sugars and naturally occurring sugars. However for me, I was at a point where I was eating too much of even fruit because I wanted that "high" that you crave with sugar period, naturally occurring or not.

@thinking_skin ... that's great, especially since the holidays are rolling around I'd imagine it can be challenging for some folks. Just sent you a friend request!

Well I went a full week. It definitely pushed me to be creative with my breakfast meals since that's when I have fruit, but after about the 5 day I stopped feeling sluggish. I felt normal and the whole week didn't crave any sugar whatsoever, not even fruit which was I think the most surprising then. To me it was a good reminder and sign that my body really just wanted a break. Yesterday I went out to brunch with a friend and I had a side of fruit. Oh man it was so delicious!! I was shocked. I had pineapple too and I don't like pineapple, but it was so refreshing. Nothing like cutting something out of your diet, even if temporarily, to make you appreciate how amazing the flavor can be.

I had a banana in my pumpkin spice oatmeal this morning and it was tasty.

I picked up a book yesterday while I was at the library just browsing about mindful eating so I want to read that and practice some of the exercises. I think in regards to sugar and just food in general, we have so many negative feelings around food that I feel, at least for me, it's really important to go back to really enjoying food and appreciating it because it's supposed to nourish our bodies.

Anywho, I'll continue to stay off processed sugar as much as possible!! See how I feel!
  • Phoenix_Warrior
    Phoenix_Warrior Posts: 1,633 Member
    Options
    Not in a million years. I love sugar too much. I wish you success in your goals though!
  • nshamith
    nshamith Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Hi, not sure if this is too late. But I will start no sugar in tea/coffee and no candy and soft drinks etc from today for 30 days. I started the 30 day shred since yesterday so I definitely need to eat healthier.great challenge. Let's do it
    Thanks for starting this
    Today is day 1 for me