Losing 50(ish)

Options
Hello MFP! I stumbled upon this website while looking for something to assist me in my weight loss efforts. I am a member of SparkPeople, but i find their website convoluted and overly complicated. MFP seems a lot simpler, much less effort to count calories and determine exactly what's going into my body.

Anyways, I'm about 240, mostly in the gut. I've been heavy all of my life, but I was down to 155 at my smallest. This was about five years ago - it was a pretty unhealthy weight loss. Not sure exactly how it happened, probably starvation and an active lifestyle. Looked sick, or so I'm told. I'd like to get closer to that level, but in a healthy way. I'm looking to lose about 50 pounds, plus tone up and feel healthy.

I've already lost a pound in my first few days, which is rather encouraging! I'm learning to cook my own foods too! That in itself is pretty rewarding, coupled with the fact that I'm on the path to a healthy lifestyle. Super excited!

Replies

• mikajao
    mikajao Posts: 30
    Options
    I think site is much easier to use than sparkpeople. For a variety of reasons. It actually feels more supportive too because of the way the site is set up. I was a sparker for years and go back on occasion, but MFP is a better site.

Welcome!! Add me if you need some friends!
  • sickscorpion12
    Options
    I especially like the barcode scanner on the mobile app. On Spark, you have to trust that the description listed is what you were talking about...here, you can't confuse the UPC. Less room for error and inaccurate counts.
  • Sarahnade42x
    Sarahnade42x Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I've tried a few different weight loss websites (including sparkpeople) and definitely think MFP is the most intuitive and useful of the bunch. You found the right place! Best of luck to you on your 50lb loss - you can do it, one pound at a time :)
  • sickscorpion12
    Options
    Thanks!
  • ThePlight
    ThePlight Posts: 3,593 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I went to sparkspeople and left right away. Not to mention, I even blocked them from emailing me LOL.
    Welcome! I was hooked as soon as I joined this community!! Soooooo much user friendly! :)
  • sickscorpion12
    Options
    Spark Recipes though... cooked an amazing breakfast casserole for the second time today, recipe I got from there. I'll give em that.
  • AccioFitness
    AccioFitness Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I struggled with SparkPeople. It just didn't work with me and what I wanted. I hope MFP is a useful tool for you now and in the future. :)
  • EvaW1977
    EvaW1977 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    This is my first time using any kind of app to help me lose weight. I hope it helps. I have never used or heard of sparkpeople. I need to lose about 40 pounds myself.