Natural Laxative suggestions please

Options

Replies

• Candi_land
    Candi_land Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    Fiber one bars, Prunes, Taco Bell, coffee.
  • MyJourney1960
    MyJourney1960 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    coffee
    hardboiled eggs
    whole wheat bread helps me (but don't know if it will work for you)
    exercise
  • links_slayer
    links_slayer Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    Mg Citrate will flush you pretty good.
  • mlauster
    mlauster Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Olive oil is a natural Laxative, a tablespoon is all you will need. You can take it was equal parts lemon or orange juice. It is 120 calories but works well.
  • egjohnson86
    Options
    epsom salts
  • suzyfj8
    suzyfj8 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    dates, figs, water :)
  • TinaBaily
    TinaBaily Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    Sweetpea, I'm not sure what amount you mean when you say you "eat plenty" of fiber. I used to be like you, and went every 3rd or 4th day, due to constipation issues. That ended up putting me in the hospital a few times due to developing diverticulitis, which is very painful. I have had to modify my diet, and now I shoot for 50 GRAMS of fiber a day. I get it 6 out of 7 days a week now, and that is all from food, not supplements. I very rarely have a problem now. I also get a minimum of eight 12oz glasses of water a day. I keep a tally mark log on a wipeoff board I keep on the side of my fridge. I let MFP track my fiber intake for me. Good luck!
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    Flaxseed is a natural laxative because when it gets wet (eg in your digestive system) it releases oil which makes faecal matter soft.

Also eat half a red onion raw with salad. And try lentils - half a cup, cooked and added to your normal food (treat it like mince beef eg stick it in a curry or stew).

As someone has already suggested try exercise particular ones that make you move your midriff about eg yoga.
  • sweetpea129
    sweetpea129 Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    Wow, thanks everyone! I appreciate the help!
    Sweetpea, I'm not sure what amount you mean when you say you "eat plenty" of fiber. I used to be like you, and went every 3rd or 4th day, due to constipation issues. That ended up putting me in the hospital a few times due to developing diverticulitis, which is very painful. I have had to modify my diet, and now I shoot for 50 GRAMS of fiber a day. I get it 6 out of 7 days a week now, and that is all from food, not supplements. I very rarely have a problem now. I also get a minimum of eight 12oz glasses of water a day. I keep a tally mark log on a wipeoff board I keep on the side of my fridge. I let MFP track my fiber intake for me. Good luck!

50 grams? Wow! I guess i need to up it then. MFP sets my goal at 16g (default settings) and I have about 25g a day so i thought i was getting more than enough but after reading this I must not be! Thank you!
  • NH_Norma
    NH_Norma Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    50 grams? Wow! I guess i need to up it then. MFP sets my goal at 16g (default settings) and I have about 25g a day so i thought i was getting more than enough but after reading this I must not be! Thank you!
    Better increase it gradually or you'll be a tooting machine with awful gas pains. :ohwell:
  • auntiecorri
    Options
    A nice strong cup of camomile tea does the trick for me. I also aim for 30-35 grams of fiber a day.
  • sweetpea129
    sweetpea129 Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    Better increase it gradually or you'll be a tooting machine with awful gas pains. :ohwell:

LOL! Good suggestion. I will do that LOL.
  • JHamp1983
    JHamp1983 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Bran flakes or oatmeal works for me.
  • MsJulielicious
    MsJulielicious Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    Ground flaxseed and chia seeds. They will make you regular and they have other health benefits such as omega 3's
  • coffee4me57
    Options
    Prune juice warmed in the microwave-not the tastiest but gets the job done!
    Chia seeds blended in a smoothie
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    Aloe Vera, either in pills or as juice (I prefer the pills because the juice is nasty). I take it for other reasons but it has really helped my digestive issues as well.
  • laserturkey
    laserturkey Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    Senna tablets (it's a pill, but it is natural)

Or Taco Bell.

My doctor advised me only to use senna very rarely because repeated use of it can cause permanent damage to the intestines. He prescribed Glycolax, which is perfectly safe to take daily and for the long term. The OTC version of this is Miralax. It's a flavorless, odorless powder you can stir into water or juice. Because I have IBS Type C, I've had this prescription for years.

However, if you want to avoid even that, an apple or two with a cup of coffee or tea is pretty effective. Avocados are loaded with fiber, too, so it might help to have them more frequently.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the suggestions- i really will try all of these until i find something that works.

And I agree about laxatives. Not good. I just couldnt take it anymore.

I think my water intake is good. Fiber is good too. So not sure where else to change my diet?

Do you track your fiber? If you're only getting the minimum that MFP recommends, you might try increasing it by 5 grams or so a day and see if that helps.
    Beyond that, exercise (doesn't have to be strenuous, just movement) can help too.
    If the feedback from your family bothers you, could stop talking about your bowel movements with them:smile: But you've said a couple of times that after several days you get uncomfortable, enough apparently that you tried laxatives, so I think you're right to continue to look for adjustments that will help
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    How's your fat intake? A lot of people go all low-fat when trying to lose weight and run into this problem.

Fat doesn't make ya fat, too many calories do - make sure you're getting some healthy fats in your diet! :smile:
  • Schatze1975
    Options
    A good flush out is some Epsom salt and warm water with lemon......it also cleanse your liver. I'd do it very sparingly. It literally flushes your -ss out! But if you eat a lot of roughage like broccoli etc that helps me. Of course there is prune juice etc but sounds like you have tried all that. Btw congrats on weight loss there!