How do you turn down unhealthy food?

Options
I am a stress/closet eater. The hardest thing for me to do is walk away from sweets. I can actually hear them calling my stomach. To combat that, now I imagine myself being fit, sexier, and easier on the eyes to look at. and remind myself these foods have ruined my life to this point. I also remember how hard my exercising felt for the day and to stuff that stuff in my mouth only negates what I did. What do you do to avoid unhealthy food?

Replies

• KateK8LoseW8
    KateK8LoseW8 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    I plan my day out every morning, and include my dessert. Depending on what the exercise plan is for the day, it might be ice cream or a cookie, or it might be just some sugar free pudding. I always plan for dessert. If I want something like that during the day, I just remind myself that I'll have it later and I'll thank myself later for waiting. If I've already had it and I want more, too bad, I'm out of calories for the day.

On Fridays, usually I'll have some fast food because I like it. I fully admit that I love fast food garbage. So in the morning I figure out what I'm going to get from what restaurant, put it in for my dinner, and plan the rest of my day around it. Sometimes I'll order a pizza instead and send the leftovers home with my boyfriend so I don't eat the rest of it. I budget my two slices and plan the rest of the day around it.

So, I do eat unhealthy food. I just plan for it, and make it fit into my calorie budget.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    I just stopped. Have a lot of snacks on hand and don't eat it. If i'm hungry I grab my snack instead of hitting the m&ms. That being said, it's not like I never eat anything "unhealthy". I don't eat a lot of processed foods or sugar laden foods because they don't' sit well with me. So that makes it easier.
  • mhematia
    mhematia Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    It sounds so stupid but I have a goal which is that I want to live forever (or as long as possible ;) ) and when tempted I think back to my goal and just say is this going to help me achieve my goal. If not I pass. But that being said I feel it's important to indulge yourself occasionally. I find it just depends on whether that will trigger you to eat more of those food choices more regularly.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    I don't consider any food as unhealthy. Problem solved. :flowerforyou:
  • Commander_Keen
    Commander_Keen Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    For me, every bite, every cookie is 500 calories. Now ask ur self is it worth it.
  • iechick
    iechick Posts: 352 Member
    Options

Yep to this. I eat a mostly whole foods, plant based diet but nothing is totally off limits-I've just learned to eat some things in moderation. It was a process to get here, but I no longer crave large amounts of sugary food, chips/salty things etc. I can eat one cookie and be satisfied now. Food does not control me anymore :smile:
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    +1
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Exactly. No food off limits,.
  • PunkyRachel
    PunkyRachel Posts: 1,959 Member
    Options
    I usually don't turn it down. I have low willpower and it is part of the reason its taking me a long time to lose my weight.
  • Ibleedlipstick
    Ibleedlipstick Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I don't buy it or keep it in my house. I'm lucky because I'm vegetarian, and my fiance loves Rice Krispie treats. I make those for him often, and I am not tempted because they contain gelatin. When I know I'm going out, I plan accordingly. I will eat lightly the days before, and then get what I want. I don't eat things that I don't enjoy, and life would not be fun for me if I ate nothing but salad.

I also take a photo of myself in the same place, wearing the same clothes on the last day of each month, and I keep my first photo as my background on my phone. It reminds me of where I started, and it is usually enough to keep me from reaching for a third slice of pizza.
  • generallyme2
    generallyme2 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    I eat whatever I want. That said, if it's something I don't like or really don't want and someone is pushing it on me, I tell myself I don't want it- not that I CAN'T have it, I DON'T want it. Like cake- I hate cake, so why should I eat it and add to my cals for something I don't even like? I just tell the person 'no thanks' and then change the subject.
  • Nikoruo
    Nikoruo Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    um... Just say no? Use willpower. To make it less hard then make sure you eat every 2-3 hours very small caloric meals. then you'll be satisfied at all times.
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    I just say no, thank you.
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    I have them if they fit, and if they don't, I plan for them on my higher-calorie/maintenance days.
  • aszwarc
    aszwarc Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I think about how bad I'll feel about myself and my choices when I do eat something that's less than optimal and close out my diary without getting the "and was below her calorie goal" message. I want to hit my weight loss goal having seen that phrase every single day.

When someone else is offering, I find that saying "I can't have that" with no other explanation works better than a plain "no, thank you." Because people will assume that you mean that you're allergic or something and won't necessarily offer it again. But with a simple no, they tend to push.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    If I have no desire to eat it then I skip it. However, if I do go for it, then I eat a small portion.
  • justiceevers
    Options
    Just think about it before you do it. Would u rather enjoy some chips for 5 minutes or look goooood in them jeans! Just remember what's really important to you.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options

QFT!!! Your problem should not be demonizing foods that you once liked but instead learning to control your relationship with that food and learn to fit it within your caloric intake and enjoy it... That has more of a chance at sustainability than avoiding it all together.... Best of Luck
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    Just think about it before you do it. Would u rather enjoy some chips for 5 minutes or look goooood in them jeans! Just remember what's really important to you.

How about looking good in those jeans and enjoying a couple portions of chips you fit within your calories for the day.... That sounds like a double win in my book.... :drinker:
  • Snow3y
    Snow3y Posts: 1,412 Member
    Options
    Try something, give up eating sweet things all together.. Juice, fizzy drinks, (fruit ok), sugar etc... Do it for about a month and try having sweets after that... You'll probably end up thinking 'ew'