How do you survive the weekend by not over eating?

Options
It's the weekend and it's 'red alert' time for me as my will power goes down the drain on the weekends. I find that I am more discipline during the week due to being at work and having a tight schedule. At the weekends when I am relaxing I like to drink a glass kor three of wine, then I want potatoe chips and/or peanuts and everything else that I should not have!!

How do you survive the weekends? Do you struggle at the weekends keeping with in your calories and healthy eating?

Replies

• MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    How do you survive the weekends? Do you struggle at the weekends keeping with in your calories and healthy eating?

Lots of phys :)

Weekends are a good opportunity for a long run or long row
  • RoyBeck
    RoyBeck Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    I've not had a problem with this as I thought I would because I view all 7 days equally. If I fancy something and have the calories ill eat it regardless of what day it is.
  • schondell
    schondell Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    On the weekends avoid snacking and tell yourself "Only three meals". If you're less active on weekends, you may not need snacks!
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    I've not had a problem with this as I thought I would because I view all 7 days equally. If I fancy something and have the calories ill eat it regardless of what day it is.

This.... I don't view Saturday or Sunday any different than I do the other 5 days.... I get my workout in, I have a set amount of calories that I will be eat too and I just live my life the same way that I did the day before... Now we do go out to eat on Saturday evenings so I arrange my calories differently (Light breakfast and Lunch saving calories for a bigger dinner). Best of Luck
  • guessrs
    guessrs Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    I know! I wanna eat all day... I do two major workouts each morning. Saturday I run this mountain, 1000 cals and Sunday is my 2 hour or longer long run , lose 2000 cals. They both take up time too.

I'm in the same boat, working during the week and then come the happy but dangerous weekends...
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    I make room for what I want. Some days I go over... some days I don't. /shrug
  • Azurite27
    Azurite27 Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    I actually tend to have an easier time on the weekends because I'm not up as early and therefore not as tired all day. I make sure I have plenty of healthy snacks around no matter what day or where I am though since I do better with small frequent meals and snacks. Try portioning out your snacks ahead of time so you don't eat the whole bag.
  • MuseofSong
    MuseofSong Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I usually sleep through a meal on Saturday and Sunday. Today I did not because I had to be awake for something, but meh! That's usually my ticket. Sleep through breakfast, or I wake up, have something, go to sleep later, and sleep through lunch. :)

I'm not eating while I'm sleeping! Zzzzzzzzzz
  • WeepingAngel81
    WeepingAngel81 Posts: 2,232 Member
    Options
    I used to worry about the weekends, but I don't anymore. I have learned that I need to allow myself some "fun" time. The difference between before I started watching what I ate and now is that if I want chicken wings at a tailgate party I only have a few as opposed to however many I wanted. I also try and premake as much as I can for meals and snacks so that I don't have to be bothered with the temptation of over indulging.
  • seb3k
    seb3k Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Wait until late afternoon and then start eating. Less time to eat may help :)
  • julianadelbosque
    Options
    If possible, I make all the healthier foods I love but haven't gotten a chance to eat during the week. Today I've had a bowl of cheerios and frozen blueberries; a "jalapeno popper" egg white omelette with jalapenos, bacon, fat free cream cheese, and cheddar cheese; and baked sweet potato fries. I already have a cheesy black bean quesadilla planned for dinner! And 300 calories left for dessert/anything else.

I also make sure to exercise! I usually do a longer run on the weekend or multiple runs. Today I did some strength training and then a short run. Tomorrow I will probably do a longer run.

However, this is a chill weekend because my boyfriend is working all weekend and I have nothing major planned so I can cook at home the whole weekend. I usually end up going out to eat and going over Friday and Saturday and making up with a lot of exercise and less calories on Sunday. It's a constant struggle, not going to lie. Using the time for exercise has worked the best consistently for me.
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    Be a good girl all week, and then take a day on the weekend to enjoy yourself. I usually plan my higher-calorie day for Friday after weigh-in.
  • kkooge
    kkooge Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Yip, I know exactly what you mean. I have now been on MFP for approximately two months and I am very proud to say that this is the first weekend I have tracked! I always start out really well, but usually either don't get around to tracking or I don't want to put down what I have eaten. It was tough yesterday (Saturday here - I am in New Zealand) because I have been having a lot of problems with my back and unfortunately I took a painkiller on Friday night that made me so out of it yesterday I didn't think going to the gym or doing a bike ride was a good idea. I took my dog for a walk in the evening but my calorie count was higher than it should have been. I filled in my diary (one eye closed!) and although it wasn't great, it wasn't anywhere near as bad as I thought.
    However ... it is only Sunday morning now - and it's a long weekend. But I will do it.
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Options
    I am a person who likes routine. Weekends are hard for me because there really isn't one. Today's solution has been cleaning the house and walking to and from the grocery. I have almost 350 calories left and I probably won't eat them all. I may have a piece of toast later though.
  • Ideabaker
    Ideabaker Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    Weekends are also challenging for me. The lack of the "usual" (M-F) structure sends my body into a "hey, let's lay down in front of the TV with snacks" mode from the moment I wake up. In addition, going out to dinner can be a calorie bomb for my otherwise great week.

I deal with it by:

1. Sticking to my normal wake/sleep cycle. That means on Friday and Saturday nights I go to bed the same time I do during the week. I also wake up at the same time. If some great programme is on TV, I record it to be watched later.

2. Sticking to my normal eating times. I eat a mini-meal on waking, then work out, then eat a second mini meal. Lunch and dinner are at the usual times that I eat during the week.

3.Sticking to my usual workout schedule. I am a morning workout gal, and stay one on the weekends.

4. Scheduling something to do to keep me active between breakfast and lunch, and between lunch and dinner. Yesterday, I visited a friend and helped out in her garden in the morning, then did my weekly shop in the afternoon. Today I reorganised kitchen cabinets in the morning, and will do some cleaning in the afternoon. Later, I'll do my batch cooking for the week (cooking up veggies and chicken breasts and other bits and pieces to assemble into lunches and snacks for the week).

Tomorrow (this is a holiday weekend for us), I'll be meeting friends for a hike in the bush... and I'll take a low carb protein bar, a piece of fruit and plenty of water with me in case hunger strikes.

If I can't find any 'projects' to tackle in my free time, I've been known to work out a second time with a gentle walk, some yoga, or a bike ride

5. I always budget my calories to include 100-200 'fun' calories for the evenings... either a glass of wine, or a special snack. I enjoy that in the evening with a movie, or eat a lighter lunch (salad and lean protein) if I'm going out that night so I can have a bigger supper or a light supper with a dessert.

Thanks for posting a great question. Am looking forward to hearing how others navigate the potential pitfalls of the weekend!
  • willdob3
    willdob3 Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    I've been at it a long time so I have had lots of trial & error. I found what works best for me.

I don't usually snack so that helps a lot. Getting plenty at meals keeps me full so I'm not tempted by snack foods when they are around. I don't need to eat more or extra or even different on the weekends.

I make sure when socializing that my focus is on friends and family, not food.
  • Naaer
    Naaer Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I, also, find the weekends very difficult to NOT overeat...I try to make up for it by getting a lot of exercise...I don't know...It is tough for me period...

Reaan:smile:
  • littleburgy
    littleburgy Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    Big workout helps :) Adding in some exercise can help with the weekend challenges.

One thing I do differently now than I used to is balancing the meals. Today for my weekend treats, i had pizza, wine, and ice cream.

In one sense, same weekend treats as I used to. Only now I have half the amount of pizza, the rest is a salad. Glass of wine limited to one or two glasses. Ice cream portion actually is an actual measured portion, rather than the large bowl of ice cream.

In the end with balance, it works. I used to eat double the pizza, no veggies, double the booze on a big night, just didn't measure or moderate.
  • OMGeeeHorses
    OMGeeeHorses Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    I eat whatever I feel like as long as it fits in my macros :) because this is a lifestyle and I know for the rest of my life I wouldn't be able to avoid junk foods or bad for you foods. Moderation is key!
  • j6o4
    j6o4 Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    You can concentrate on weekly calories, eat less some days and make up for it on the weekend.