To bread or not to bread

skippy627
skippy627 Posts: 4
edited September 21 in Health and Weight Loss
Some years ago I was doing the South Beach Diet, quite successfully, which for me included not eating bread or bread products (like croutons). Time has passed, however, and now my wife and I are here just trying to eat a fairly balanced and healthy lifestyle. My question is this though: what's the deal with bread? Is it okay or not? My wife bought some bread that's only like 35 calories for 2 slices or something like that, some high fiber whole grain bread I think. I figure that should be to bad, it's not like I'm eating hawaiian butter rolls right? Any ideas? Thanks!

Replies

• amg_89
    amg_89 Posts: 184
    I think the whole no-carb thing is just plain bad for you. While eating more protein than carbs with a caloric deficit will help with fat loss, if you are exercising on a regular basis, you NEED carbs in order to have adequate energy for your workouts. I say just try to stay with a general 50/25/25 ratio on your dinner plate. 50% protein, 25% carbs, 25% veggies.

p.s. i buy the 35 calorie bread too! it's good, but the slices are pretty small, so if you want more volume, try the 100 cal sandwich thins. they are DELISH!
  • Ryhenblue
    Ryhenblue Posts: 390 Member
    Whole Grain and whole wheat breads are good for you. If you want toast in the morning or a sandwich for lunch there is no reason why you shouldn't be able to.
  • Whole grains and whole wheats are good for you. They actually have a high carb diet where whole grains and healthy starches like corn and baked potato are your main course for meals.
  • cutmd
    cutmd Posts: 1,168 Member
    Bread is healthy, as long as it is really minimally processed whole grain bread free of high fructose corn syrup and you aren't gluten intolerant like me.

I highly recommend Ezekiel bread, it is truly minimally processed and very healthy with a low glycemic index. The calories aren't as low as the 35 calorie bread, but that is usually laden with chemicals. Just my $0.02 :flowerforyou:
This discussion has been closed.