What does your family say when you lose weight?

Options

Replies

• shesheo
    Options
    Don't listen to anyone except for the voice in your heard and heart ! Keep up the good work !
  • mrsamanda86
    mrsamanda86 Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    My hubby is really supportive of it this time and has learned how to communicate better about it. My kids don't really care/comment about it. My Mom has ALWAYS been able to point out any spot on my body that needs work even before I was overweight, which is always fun. Even if she gives me a compliment, she makes sure to give it backhanded. Ex.: Wow you look great, are you really going to wear THAT though????
  • flumi_f
    flumi_f Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    My family is very supportive. I've been following 5:2 since May. My Mom and sister have both started themselves after seeing my success. Even my 18 yr old nephew told me he was super happy for me. My family only knew me obese until now. They loved me as I was, but they also knew, I was never completely happy with myself that way. So it is new for us all.

I saw a few good friends last week. They hadn't seen me since the end of May. They were tickled pink! Couldn't believe their eyes. That was fun. And it was a great feeling to see how happy they were for me.

But alot of people don't notice or don't know what to say.

I still have more than enough to lose. so no one is saying - you're getting to skinny - yet. I know my goal and I know that is in the middle of the healthy range, so I definitely will not be too skinny in the end...no matter what others say.
  • An8888
    An8888 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    All mine are very supportive. My grandmother however likes to point out that I still have a ways to go. :| That.... well it's so annoying. I love her and I hope I'm that honest when I'm 90.

My husband is very happy for me, but very unhappy he's not losing. He's also not really adhering to his calories or working out. But that's okay. He's my big teddy bear and I'm fine with that! I'm losing weight for me. :)

lol, your grandma sounds awesome. I have people who try to lull me into a false sense of security about my weight loss, "Oh, you've lost so much weight, you can afford to indulge. Here! Eat more!" ....saboteurs! lol. Like you, I hope I can be that honest when I'm 90 :)
  • squishybarb
    squishybarb Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Everyone I surround myself with is very supportive. My parents are fantastic, they're always congratulating me and telling me how good I look. I don't live with them anymore though, so sometimes when I come home they'll pat my back, or hug me, and say "I can feel your ribs" or "Whoa your shoulder blade is poking out!" And I just laugh and say it's supposed to feel like that!

My fiance doesn't say much, sometimes "Look how much heavier you were there!" or "Your butt is bony now! *laughs*" when I sit on his lap. He's never negative about it, but he says he loved me and thought I was just as attractive as when I was "Squishy." (that's actually how I got my nickname! lol. His mom called me "tiny" and I said "No, I'm 'thick'". He hated that word, so he decided to call me Squishy..) :laugh: :embarassed:

The only person who doesn't really agree is my aunt/godmother, and maybe my brother, even though he never says anything. Obesity and unhealthy eating habits have been a part of the women on my dad's side of the family for a long time.. My grandma had 10 babies and I think she "loved" them with food. Our family LOVES to eat.. One of my dad's sisters was over 600 pounds before she passed from cancer in 2003. My aunt always tells me I'm too skinny and I need to stop now,blah blah. But she's proud of me, too. I know it. And she has since lost over 50 pounds, I hope I can help continue to motivate her, because I want her around for a loooong time. :smooched:
  • JADEPH0EN1X
    JADEPH0EN1X Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    As I live hundreds miles away from a lot of family members I havent told them what I've been up to - I'm looking forward to picking a few jaws up off the floor when we visit for Christmas !!
    My hubby , son & friends that I see are very supportive & encouraging ! I've even got 2 of them doing it along with me !!
  • kiwidrop
    kiwidrop Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    It's split. I have some that are super supportive and encouraging. I have others who don't say a word. I'm not sure if that's the way I set up the relationship with them since I didn't want to talk about it when I was heavier but one word of support would be nice. Especially since I support them in everything. In the long run, It doesn't matter because I'm doing me right now.
  • perrinjoshua
    perrinjoshua Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    My SO&SO is very supportive of me at whatever weight I am. He has been with me through thick and thin so to speak, carnivore to vegan, and he rolls with the punches very well. He is very pleased for me right now because I have met my goal weight and taken up a healthy exercise routine, which he tries to join me with sometimes. My best friend's husband (and one of my best friends as well) went home one day and said he thought I may have cancer, I was losing so much weight. She told me and I assured her I was completely healthy and had just had an annual physical and had absolutely no health issues. Everything, cholesterol, blood pressure, iron, B12, etc., was perfect. She said she would go home and tell him to relax, it was just me doing my thing again. My sister-in-law (who was always very thin for years and years) says I'm too skinny. Oh, darn. It feels good to be at a size that I feel comfortable in my own skin, so "too skinny" is where I intend to stay. Went out with friends for dinner the other night and got lots of nice compliments and a few asking about the 5:2 plan I have been following.
  • ElizabethFuller
    ElizabethFuller Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    As I live hundreds miles away from a lot of family members I havent told them what I've been up to - I'm looking forward to picking a few jaws up off the floor when we visit for Christmas !!

Love this!
  • cdahl383
    cdahl383 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    My SO&SO is very supportive of me at whatever weight I am. He has been with me through thick and thin so to speak, carnivore to vegan, and he rolls with the punches very well. He is very pleased for me right now because I have met my goal weight and taken up a healthy exercise routine, which he tries to join me with sometimes. My best friend's husband (and one of my best friends as well) went home one day and said he thought I may have cancer, I was losing so much weight. She told me and I assured her I was completely healthy and had just had an annual physical and had absolutely no health issues. Everything, cholesterol, blood pressure, iron, B12, etc., was perfect. She said she would go home and tell him to relax, it was just me doing my thing again. My sister-in-law (who was always very thin for years and years) says I'm too skinny. Oh, darn. It feels good to be at a size that I feel comfortable in my own skin, so "too skinny" is where I intend to stay. Went out with friends for dinner the other night and got lots of nice compliments and a few asking about the 5:2 plan I have been following.

All that matters is that you are healthy and that you are happy with yourself. Glad to hear you accomplished your goals!
  • cdahl383
    Options
    I can relate ! My husband is a wonderful man but he just doesn't get that I feel like crap with all this extra weight and how much of a better wife I will become with out the extra fat! He keeps offering me brownies !

Sounds like my mom. I start losing weight and eating better and she say, you're getting too thin, you need to eat more! She'll bring over candy and snacks and crackers to the house and stuff. Haha! I don't get upset though, she's trying to help in her own way I suppose.
  • lil_lizt
    lil_lizt Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Can't say mine even notice lol
  • Ramatang
    Ramatang Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    One side of my family are really supportive and I thank them for being so supportive..
    But the other side say I'm starting to look sick and to stop, mind you they were the ones telling me I need to lose weight in the first place.... I'm not even at goal yet.. Can't wait to hear their comments when I'm at Goal lol..
  • donthesitate
    donthesitate Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    "Eww ur hip bones stick out" So?
    "I can see ur collarbones" And...?
    "Arent u going to eat some more?" No.
    "Thats all ur eating!?" Im full.
    "Dont lose anymore weight" Im being healthy about it...
    "Make sure u dont get under 125ibs" bcuz an exact weight makes a difference....
  • fitspo145
    Options
    I envy people who have a supportive family. Sadly I can't say the same for myself. Back when I was quite chubby at around 65kg (140ish lbs I think at 5'5) it was a constant commentary about how fat I was and what I could do with my posture and clothes to at least look thinner. For my graduation ball, my aunt got me an XL sized dress which I had to tailor to size down many times... It made me so upset because it kind of showed me how my family members perceived me and my weight.

Anyway I finally managed to drop down to my current weight 55kg (121-123 lbs) and my family has split between the "is a salad for lunch enough? you shouldn't starve yourself and don't exercise too much" stance and the "oh it's nice you've lost but if you really want to get rid of all that belly flat and make your arms much less flabby you should do ______".

This is why I really like the MFP boards. I feel here you get more real support and though I get family looks out for you and all that jazz, they are also the ones most capable of inflicting the most psychological damage.

Anyway rant over and the moral of the story is: screw what people say. You do this for you. :smile:
  • fitspo145
    Options
    I envy people who have a supportive family. Sadly I can't say the same for myself. Back when I was quite chubby at around 65kg (140ish lbs I think at 5'5) it was a constant commentary about how fat I was and what I could do with my posture and clothes to at least look thinner. For my graduation ball, my aunt got me an XL sized dress which I had to tailor to size down many times... It made me so upset because it kind of showed me how my family members perceived me and my weight.

Anyway I finally managed to drop down to my current weight 55kg (121-123 lbs) and my family has split between the "is a salad for lunch enough? you shouldn't starve yourself and don't exercise too much" stance and the "oh it's nice you've lost but if you really want to get rid of all that belly flat and make your arms much less flabby you should do ______".

This is why I really like the MFP boards. I feel here you get more real support and though I get family looks out for you and all that jazz, they are also the ones most capable of inflicting the most psychological damage.

Anyway rant over and the moral of the story is: screw what people say. You do this for you. :smile:

Oh and just for those wondering. My family is generally very skinny. One of those fast metabolism types but I sadly didn't get those genes haha. They are typically Asian thin and I have more of a curvy body which means even if I lose weight I still look "somewhat fat" to them. Unless I went all anorexic or on VLCD I don't think some of them would even classify me as thin or lean.
  • cdahl383
    Options

Oh and just for those wondering. My family is generally very skinny. One of those fast metabolism types but I sadly didn't get those genes haha. They are typically Asian thin and I have more of a curvy body which means even if I lose weight I still look "somewhat fat" to them. Unless I went all anorexic or on VLCD I don't think some of them would even classify me as thin or lean.

That's a bummer about your family not supporting you, but as long as you're feeling/looking better and getting healthier that's all that matters. They'll get used to the new you and lose interest in talking about it after a while I'm sure.
  • CleanEats4AppleCheeks
    Options
    I've been at my goal weight for a couple years now. But my fitness as well as health goals are always changing. I am constantly eating healthier which to me means no processed food, making everything myself, lots of food prep, and a pretty high protein intake (I know its different for everyone). I also started lifting heavy (for me) over a year ago and HIIT (workouts are constantly changing as I get stronger and faster). Its always the same thing. You are already thin so why are you still eating that way and working out so much? Its hard to explain my fitness goals to friends, co workers, family. Plus, I always get questioned like I am doing something extreme or possible wrong with what I eat (I do tons of research and know what works for my body and makes me feel good) So, its frustrating to be questioned by someone I know eats fast food every day about why I do what I do. What helped me is making new like minded friends especially at the gym.Its not about being thin. To me its about being healthy and happy. This lifestyle makes me happy!
  • alyssajayds40
    alyssajayds40 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Last time I was goal fitness and went to visit:

I see you are back to normal. (sister in law)

Lost that winter coat did ya. (brother)

I hate you. (Sister) in a nice way

You look great. Most of the rest of my family
  • benniesmother
    benniesmother Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    lately, I have been getting a lot of "you look great, but don't lose anymore".
    and what I want to say: "please tell me how you know whats good for me. you weren't telling me NOT to eat all the crappy food when I was, why are you suddenly so concerned?"
    frustrating day.