So what's the deal with the added calories for exercise?

Options
Do I get extra calories to "eat" if I want or should I be ignoring that?

Replies

• CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    Depends are you following MFP or using TDEE approach.... if you are following MFP than your deficit is already built in so you are suppose to eat back those exercise calories but if you are using TDEE than exercise would already be figured in so when you log exercise you will see those using TDEE only log exercise calories as 1....... Best of Luck......
  • lets_fly_away
    Options
    I am trying to lose weight so I generally ignore my extra allowed cals. If you're trying to maintain weight then it's fine though.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    I am trying to lose weight so I generally ignore my extra allowed cals. If you're trying to maintain weight then it's fine though.

Wrong. Exercise calories are meant to be eaten back, even if your goal is weight loss. MFP has already calculated a calorie deficit for you. You need to fuel your body, so you should at least be eating back some exercise calories.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options

If you're going to eat them back, be very very sure you're calculating your burns correctly. Over-estmating (and therefore over-eating) is an extremely common reason for stalls.

For most people, I would suggest starting out not eating them back, and only adding more calories if it becomes clear you aren't performing as well as you should be with the exercise.
  • klm888
    klm888 Posts: 15
    Options
    I will eat back calories ONLY if I am hungry. :smile:
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Depends are you following MFP or using TDEE approach.... if you are following MFP than your deficit is already built in so you are suppose to eat back those exercise calories but if you are using TDEE than exercise would already be figured in so when you log exercise you will see those using TDEE only log exercise calories as 1....... Best of Luck......

^This
  • CyberEd312
    Options

If you're going to eat them back, be very very sure you're calculating your burns correctly. Over-estmating (and therefore over-eating) is an extremely common reason for stalls.

For most people, I would suggest starting out not eating them back, and only adding more calories if it becomes clear you aren't performing as well as you should be with the exercise.

Can I just ask if someone is legitimately burning say even 700 calories and are only eating 1200-1400 calories cause they have set up MFP to lose the max amount of weight possible (which seems to be the norm around here even when people only have a small amount to lose) then they are now only netting 500-700 calories for the day which in my opinion is Dangerously LOW and unsustainable for any long term progress and potentially could cause severe problems to there metabolism over time.... Do you really feel the best advice is to ignore eat any of them back... I can understand if one is using TDEE-20% then it is a non issue but NEAT is an approach that is totally different..... Not picking a fight just questioning your logic....
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    The TDEE vs MFP methods can be seen as two differing approaches on how to deal with exercising. Some people are not very motivated or don't enjoy exercise or just aren't consistent or whatever. If you are like that and use the TDEE method (where you eat a constant amount based on burning say 400 calories a day in exercise) and then you skip workouts for whatever reasons, you are now overeating.

The MFP method instead attaches that difference in calories as it happens. It has a psychological effect of associating the exercise with eating more calories. So if you want more calories, you need to go earn them by doing something. If you don't feel like exercising, you also don't end up overeating. It can also be an extra incentive for people to work out when they can see an immediate "benefit" of that workout.

IOW, which method is best for you depends on what works with your attitude, consistency, approach to exercise, etc.

If you do use MFP's method and do not eat back exercise calories, it's the equivalent of using the TDEE method with a much bigger deficit. (And there is such a thing as too much of a calorie deficit.)
  • brananderson32
    brananderson32 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Just wondering and it's probably a really obvious answer but what's tdee?
  • CyberEd312
    Options
    Just wondering and it's probably a really obvious answer but what's tdee?

Total Daily Energy Expenditures

http://www.fitnessfrog.com/calculators/tdee-calculator.html