Pound loss per inches lost?

Options
I read a lot that the scale doesn't matter but the overall inches lost does... I guess I'm trying to ask how many pounds have you had to lose before noticing any changes in your basic measurements?

I've lost 7 pounds which I know is no where near my goal, but my measurements haven't changed.. I've tried measuring in different places and alas still the same. My husband says I look leaner and to my surprise I am able to fit comfortably into an old pair of shorts without my rolls going over the top.

Am I measuring incorrectly (seriously didn't know that could be possible)? I know to truly see visible reduction in fat loss takes patience over time, but the fact my tape measure isn't budging is slightly discouraging.

Replies

• kaconekko
    kaconekko Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    If you feel different in your shorts and your husband is noticing that you look good, that's GREAT! I have found that I can measure myself in the same place two different times and come up with two different numbers on previous occasions when I was dieting. This time around I wanted to be really accurate so I've done a couple of things to achieve that:

1) I have tried to find very specific markers on my body to make measurement more accurate. For example, I have two freckles on my upper leg, so if I run the tape measure just under those it will make a straight line and it will always be accurate. Write down exactly how to find the same spots on yourself so that you can be sure you are taking measurements in the same place.
    2) Add on measurements from the basics that MFP has. I like to measure my arms, my legs in two different spots, my stomach, etc. Think about what's important to you, since it might not be the same things that MFP had originally suggested having measurements for.
    3) I switched from inches to centimeters. I felt that I was rounding too much with inches and with centimeters, every little bit lost is a celebration!

I hope that helps. Above all, feel good that you are fitting into clothes that did not fit before! That's amazing!
  • californiabella
    Options
    If you feel different in your shorts and your husband is noticing that you look good, that's GREAT! I have found that I can measure myself in the same place two different times and come up with two different numbers on previous occasions when I was dieting. This time around I wanted to be really accurate so I've done a couple of things to achieve that:

1) I have tried to find very specific markers on my body to make measurement more accurate. For example, I have two freckles on my upper leg, so if I run the tape measure just under those it will make a straight line and it will always be accurate. Right down exactly how to find the same spots on yourself so that you can be sure you are taking measurements in the same place.
    2) Add on measurements from the basics that MFP has. I like to measure my arms, my legs in two different spots, my stomach, etc. Think about what's important to you, since it might not be the same things that MFP had originally suggested having measurements for.
    3) I switched from inches to centimeters. I felt that I was rounding too much with inches and with centimeters, every little bit lost is a celebration!

I hope that helps. Above all, feel good that you are fitting into clothes that did not fit before! That's amazing!

Amazing advice! I never really thought about having certain "markers" or by measuring in cm. You're right! Every bit lost is a celebration. :-) thank you for the response, I thought I was the only one battling with the measuring tape.
  • natalieyeo39
    natalieyeo39 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Ive lost 13.5 inches all around (at 13 spots) of which 3 is from my waist and 2 from my belly area. Did the scale move? I went down by 0.6 pounds =| I do weights and yoga about 3 times a week for the past month and very little cardio. I hate hate hate running so I've only used the treadmill twice in the past month for HIIT.

If you can tell the difference in your pants then be happy! For me the difference is in the midsection of my dresses :))
  • SapiensPisces
    SapiensPisces Posts: 992 Member
    Options

1) I have tried to find very specific markers on my body to make measurement more accurate. For example, I have two freckles on my upper leg, so if I run the tape measure just under those it will make a straight line and it will always be accurate. Right down exactly how to find the same spots on yourself so that you can be sure you are taking measurements in the same place.

This is very good advice.

There are some good tutorials online as well that tell you exactly how to measure.

My guess is that since you're going down in size, you're losing inches too but perhaps not getting an accurate enough measurement.

I tend to rely less on measurements and more on my clothing sizes and how my body looks in the mirror. I think focusing on more practical issues like how you FEEL in your clothes and the fit of your clothes is a lot more rewarding than just measurements or weight loss alone.

Try not to stress too much! 7 lbs lost already is a great start, especially since others are already noticing the changes!
  • californiabella
    Options
    Ive lost 13.5 inches all around (at 13 spots) of which 3 is from my waist and 2 from my belly area. Did the scale move? I went down by 0.6 pounds =| I do weights and yoga about 3 times a week for the past month and very little cardio. I hate hate hate running so I've only used the treadmill twice in the past month for HIIT.

If you can tell the difference in your pants then be happy! For me the difference is in the midsection of my dresses :))

That's awesome! I wish I had inches lost to share. When I was going through old forum posts, I do see a lot of others who didn't see the scale go down much but lost inches. So good for you!

Initially, I didn't think fitting into old clothes meant much if my inches weren't dropping, but I realize that's just stupid. Lol. Must be losing fat in random places.. :-) at least I hope!
  • californiabella
    Options

This is very good advice.

There are some good tutorials online as well that tell you exactly how to measure.

My guess is that since you're going down in size, you're losing inches too but perhaps not getting an accurate enough measurement.

I tend to rely less on measurements and more on my clothing sizes and how my body looks in the mirror. I think focusing on more practical issues like how you FEEL in your clothes and the fit of your clothes is a lot more rewarding than just measurements or weight loss alone.

Try not to stress too much! 7 lbs lost already is a great start, especially since others are already noticing the changes!

You're absolutely right... I forget sometimes it's more important to focus on how I feel and what I see ( as well as the positive changes others see!) rather than what I am seeing on my scale or measurements.
  • SapiensPisces
    SapiensPisces Posts: 992 Member
    Options
    You're absolutely right... I forget sometimes it's more important to focus on how I feel and what I see ( as well as the positive changes others see!) rather than what I am seeing on my scale or measurements.

It's easy to get upset by things like scales and measuring tapes since that's how so many of us measure our progress. Don't let them get the best of you! You're off to a great start so just keep a healthy perspective as often as you can, and it's smooth sailing!
  • californiabella
    Options

It's easy to get upset by things like scales and measuring tapes since that's how so many of us measure our progress. Don't let them get the best of you! You're off to a great start so just keep a healthy perspective as often as you can, and it's smooth sailing!

Thank you very much :-)
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I think it all depends on your individual body. Like someone else said try not to get caught up in the numbers on the scale or the tape. I hate when people say to throw out the scale and only use the measuring tape. If I did that I would have quit long ago! I haven't lost even a single inch. I swear I must be losing weight in the oddest places!