help I don't eat fruit or veggies.

13»

Replies

• Chiny
    Chiny Posts: 321
    I have to admit that I don't care for much veggies as well and thanks to me my 15 and 8yo hate veggies too. I know I need to force myself into cooking/eating it.
  • I didn't read the previous responses so I apologize if this is just a repeat. Try 'hiding' some veggies in your other foods. There is a black bean brownie that is healthier than a normal brownie and gives you that sweet tooth taste. Hide pureed veggies in other foods when you make them, and you'll never know.
  • kayemme
    kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
    The other problem is the cost. My food bill has escalated with the healthy eating. Not easy when on a tight shoestring.

You're likely approaching it the wrong way. Eating healthy is way, way way more economical than not. There are tons of websites dedicated to eating healthily on a budget. But you might not be calculating a number of other costs that are included in your consumption (like the amount of gas consumed by sitting in a drive-thru, for instance)

The way to get to a more streamlined food budget it to take it in steps, and learn how to prepare things quickly at home. Re-purposing leftovers into soups, stews or casseroles, etc...

I like to keep an empty-ish fridge. That's how I know I'm spending most wisely.
  • kayemme
    kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
    One other thing, I mentioned on another post, is that some (if not all) produce sold in grocery stores is typically kind of gross and bland, mushy, or otherwise generally unpalatable.

Try to find something straight off the land, and see how you like it. It's not fair to the vegetable to compare it to its commercial variety. They're picked early and gassed in trucks to force ripen. Storage items in a grocery can be held for up to a year, losing its nutritional capacity as well as taste. Not to mention the diversity in a grocery store is astonishingly inept.

There are literally hundreds of kinds of squash, potatoes and apples; many varieties of eggplant, spinach, broccoli, carrots, and all their cousins... just so many to choose from outside big box store walls. All we are sayin' is... Give veg's a chance! :)
  • Sharont213
    Sharont213 Posts: 323 Member
    My husband hates veggies. But his doctor told him he absolutely had to eat them for his cholesterol and other health issues. So we've created a sort of 'game' out of it. He chooses a veggie for me to buy each week and then we experiment and see how many different ways we can make it...competing against each other. For example, one week it was Kale. So I roasted some leaves with olive oil and sea salt and made chips. He put them in his soup. I tried incorporating them into my fritatta. He boiled some and added a bunch of seasoning. I shredded some and put it in a stew. He stir fried some with his chicken and mushrooms. The next week it was asparagus. He grilled them, I steamed them. He sauteed them with beef and soy sauce, I broiled them and made a bernaise sauce. Out of all of this, he's come to find out that he does like veggies...just not boiled and dumped on a plate.

Try it, it's fun!

What a clever idea .. and it gets him into the whole "healthy" habit eating pattern too.. :devil:
  • TropicalKitty
    TropicalKitty Posts: 2,298 Member
    The other problem is the cost. My food bill has escalated with the healthy eating. Not easy when on a tight shoestring.

You're likely approaching it the wrong way. Eating healthy is way, way way more economical than not. There are tons of websites dedicated to eating healthily on a budget. But you might not be calculating a number of other costs that are included in your consumption (like the amount of gas consumed by sitting in a drive-thru, for instance)

The way to get to a more streamlined food budget it to take it in steps, and learn how to prepare things quickly at home. Re-purposing leftovers into soups, stews or casseroles, etc...

I like to keep an empty-ish fridge. That's how I know I'm spending most wisely.

And, in the long run its cheaper to be healthy than not. You won't spend as much on health bills. For those of us losing weight as a result of eating healthier, we pay less for clothes, gasoline/diesel. Plus, when you feed your body food that actually nourishes it, you don't need as much to keep trying to get all the scant nutrients together.

It takes a bit of work and re-learning of how to shop, but you can definitely eat very healthfully and economically - for example I get amazing produce at my local famer's market that is much cheaper than at the grocery store (ex: 1lb zucchini = $1. Huge canteloupe $3, 13 ears sweet corn $3 - can't use all 13 ears, shave it off and freeze it for winter, 1 eggplant $1). Plus, it was picked the night before and still has it's nutrients, and is supporting the local economy.

Ok now I'm hungry.
  • RebelRenny
    RebelRenny Posts: 1,073 Member
    :drinker: good for you for asking!! Retrain your senses, is my advice. I love my fruits and veggies now, so I know it can be done. I have put out a fruit and veggie substitution challenge as a post. Try it for one meal or one day. You've already had some great ideas given to you in this post. So now you need support. And this is the right place to get it.

good luck.

:heart: :heart: Rebel:heart::heart:
  • daybyday
    daybyday Posts: 537 Member
    *bump*!! I don't like alot of fruit/veggies either and I need to learn!!
  • MakingAChoice
    MakingAChoice Posts: 481 Member
    The juicer is a great idea.
  • FitJoani
    FitJoani Posts: 2,173 Member
    you're kidding, right?
    Took the words right out of my mouth.

I agree retrain. It is your mind that makes you think you gag.
  • melodyg
    melodyg Posts: 1,423 Member
    Add me to the people who used to hate certain veggies but will now eat them. I still have a few that I don't like but I do think that tastes can change!

Some ideas for getting fruits & veggies in without really feeling like you are:
    1) Juices -- be careful because they are high in calories compared to just the fruits or vegetables... but better than not getting those nutrients at all!
    2) Spaghetti sauce -- you can puree carrots, onions, peppers, squash into tomato sauce without changing the taste.
    3) Smoothies or in yogurt -- I love blueberries, strawberries, banana... you can also throw in a little spinach for a green smoothie (but not too much or it will affect the taste)
    4) Eat pumpkin! One easy dessert is to mix a box of spice cake mix or chocolate cake mix with a can of pumpkin, put in cupcake pans, and cook. Pumpkin is SO good for you and you can't tell it is in there. I have a recipe for pumpkin pancakes too that I really like. (I've also had the black bean brownies someone else recommended and they are really good!)
    5) Some fruits/veggies that I think most people who are picker like and you might want to start with first -- white potatoes (try them different ways before giving up altogether), sweet potatoes (mmm), apples or applesauce, carrots.
  • skinnylizzard
    skinnylizzard Posts: 460 Member
    yes I know I am too old to be gaging on it but I can't help what my body does,. I mean there are some things I can eat like peas, potatoes but thats a high carb, broccoli i actually can tollerate but thats about it . watermelon is good but i thought that was like water. not really many nutrients in it. you know you are right about those v8 drinks im going to give it a try thanks!
    You'd actually be surprised! Watermelon is better for you than most people think!
  • daybyday
    daybyday Posts: 537 Member
This discussion has been closed.