baking with whey protein isolate

Options
hookilau
hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
I got some Carbquik from netrition the other day & I'm only now starting to experiment with alternative 'flours' and such.
With the holiday season coming up, I'd like to be able to join the rest of my family & make merry as well.

Can anyone tell me what properties whey protein isolate bring to the party when baking?
As in, if butter & eggs make things tender, what will whey protein do?

Thanks for any help you all can offer. I have tons of recipes (thankyou google) and an additional Netrition order coming on Monday with carblose and a few other things, so I'm really excited to try it out.

I made a teeny tester batch of roti, it's rising now, I hope it ends up workable. If it does, it'll only have 7 neg g of carb per serving.
that I could happily live with :drinker:

Replies

• dvdadie
    dvdadie Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I recently tried to substitute flour with whey protein in an apple pie. It did not work so well. It was a very "dry" pie, ie - no glaze. I didn't replace all of the flour, only about a third of it.
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    yes, in my subsequent research, (post, post, if you will) I've found that folks say it sucks liquid out of the recipe, so you need to account for that, something like less than a quarter of dry ingredients can be WPI if memory serves :) and add extra liquid.

Carbquik would fit the bill for pie crust or anything that, I made roti this weekend with 1/2 white flour & 1/2 CQ. Fooled the ENTIRE family...and these are some hardcore roti-eating people. Very resistant to new things and invariably rigid about certain food choices regardless of consequences :huh:

I'm thrilled. For 7 g of net carb per roti, I was able to enjoy some curry chicken for the first time in a little over 6 months.
    Looks like it'll be a merry christmas after all :bigsmile:

I'm looking forward to trying beef patties with the CQ. It's opened up a whole new world of cooking/baking experimenting for me. I was the cook/baker in my family before I started having to cut out sugar & starch. It's nice to know I still can be.

Unflavored whey protein isolate has proven to be difficult to get locally so I'll probably order from Netrition. Still don't know what it brings TO the party (as Alton would say) but I know what it TAKES from the party....liquids.

So that's something! :laugh: :drinker:
    Thanks for your input btw :wink: