Truthfully: should I even bother with this site if I refuse

Options
2»

Replies

• MissSusieQ
    MissSusieQ Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    i just read your profile and I wanted to add that I hope you're travelling this road with some proper professional help. as someone with a history of an eating disorder I know all too well how easy it is to cross the line from 'in control' to 'think I'm in control'.

Please be well and take care.
  • m00nflowet
    Options
    I think you should speak with your therapist to see if this site is good for you. If you have had an eating disorder in the past it's very important that you do not go back to that and if this site will trigger any old feelings then you shouldn't use it. Eating disorders are are extremely dangerous and can be deadly and it's better that you stay mentally healthy.
  • spicy618
    spicy618 Posts: 2,114 Member
    Options
    I hardly evey weigh myself.. I get depressed if it isn't what i expected. :wink:

Will it be too much to blindfold yourself and let your dad see what you weigh and then he will keep track... Just a suggestion. If not keep doing what you're doing. I think it's easier and more fun to come here and track your calories. :flowerforyou:

I think as long as you feel good and see a change in the fit of your clothes, I don't really see a need to weigh yourself.

Best wishes!
  • bellinachuchina
    bellinachuchina Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Do whatever you are comfortable with! Are you measuring your inches or tracking pant sizes to see your progress? For me, I needed that weekly weigh in to account for all of my hard work & have incentive to go at it again the next week. It also gave me a visual to associate with my progress since my personal image didn't change as quickly as my numbers. I had a great deal more to lose than you, though, so I say, do what suits you best! Good luck :flowerforyou:
  • jennylynn84
    Options
    I have to agree with everyone else. This site is supposed to help you get healthy. If stepping on a scale can send you into an emotional downward spiral that could ruin your health - best not to do it. Tracking healthy eating and exercise is the most important part. The weightloss will come with that.

I can sympathize as to the weight seeming high, because being tall can do that. My goal weight, since I am about 5'10" is some women's starting weight! But it is right in the middle of my healthy BMI scale.

One thing to keep in mind is that your BMR will change with significant weightloss. So maybe keep your father on the alert to remind you that if you appear to have lost more weight (maybe 15 lbs or so) to re-enter that estimate into MFP so it can recalculate your goals. But you certainly have to do no actual weighing.

Good luck and congrats on your SIGNIFICANT success so far!
  • cherdan
    cherdan Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    JL, thank you for bringing up a valid and very relevant point. I am 5'11" and for me a weight of 170 would be ideal, I think. But BMI says 155-170, and anything over is "overweight"?? Bollocks. This doesn't take into account women of a larger frame, like myself. People have already been telling me I'm getting too thin. But the numbers still eat at me at the end of the day. I also am pear-shaped and while I may have a thin upper torso, I have a lot of toning up to do below. I just feel the number never matches how I look or feel.
  • alantin
    alantin Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    How about if you just enter 165 to the site and forget the whole weight-in part.
    Theoretically, if you started eating the maintenance calories, the site suggest for 165, your weight should eventually settle around there.
    It might take quite a bit more time thought so Personally I would eat a couple hundred Cals less to speed things up.
  • jelben
    jelben Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Hey there, and welcome!

I think, that apart from the value to be had from the calorie counter, and as a nutritional tracking device, the best thing about this site is the community. It is great to be amongst so many supportive, positive people, especially on days when you feel completely demotivated. So stay, and enjoy being amongst friends,

Judy