Eat BMR and Lift weights

Options
If I eat at my BMR and lift weights regular will my body burn fat and grow muscle at the same time?

Replies

• nikilis
    nikilis Posts: 2,305 Member
    Options
    stash-1-50885f9a1e1c5.jpeg

translation: not amused.
  • Weebs628
    Weebs628 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I think maybe he means eat at TDEE...
  • tawanda6329
    tawanda6329 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Bump. I'm trying to do the same thing.
  • bayernfan94
    Options
    dont lift weights. do high intensity interval exercises and you will burn fat and gain muscle much more efficiently than weights, machines, and gyms could ever help you with. But that means you'll have to push yourself harder and be more motivated.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    dont lift weights. do high intensity interval exercises and you will burn fat and gain muscle much more efficiently than weights, machines, and gyms could ever help you with. But that means you'll have to push yourself harder and be more motivated.

:huh:
  • bayernfan94
    Options

:huh:

Simplistic weight like a kettle ball
  • Stage14
    Stage14 Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    If I eat at my BMR and lift weights regular will my body burn fat and grow muscle at the same time?

No. Your BMR is the minimum level of calories your body needs to keep your vital life functions going. And it's incredibly unlikely to build muscle (which takes a caloric surplus) and lose weight (which takes a caloric deficit) at the same time. That is why you will see weight lifters going through "bulk" and "cut" cycles. They bulk up their calories for awhile to build muscle, then cut them back down to lose the fat they may have gained while bulking.

Figure out your TDEE and eat slightly below that to lose fat or a little above it to build muscle.
  • cingle87
    cingle87 Posts: 717 Member
    Options

Not sure is srs or just messing with us?
  • links_slayer
    links_slayer Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options

dafuq?
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

Not sure is srs or just messing with us?

Right! If serious than I'm going to say..No. :noway: :laugh:
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options

Your body will grow muscle if it needs to, and has the building blocks available.

Why do you think your body needs to grow muscle?
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    Newbie gains are often seen when folks eat at a deficit and lift heavy. Folks who were built before and have been out of training for a long time also can see this phenomenon. Intermediate and above weightlifters can't do it is the quote I keep running into when researching it. There's a huge debate about how/why/whether it's possible, and whether 'culking' is real, etc. It's one of those things folks freak out about info-wise, in my experience :D I think there must be enough outliers that the debate rages, so I'm always optimistic.

That said, your BMR is so very low that the deficit would be way too big to build any muscle, imho. It would be more like eating close to maintenance at best, I'd think. Scooby recommends TDEE-10% at the biggest deficit, so that's what I've been doing, but I'm still sifting through all the opinions on the research.
  • eazy_
    eazy_ Posts: 516 Member
    Options
  • Iron_Lotus
    Iron_Lotus Posts: 2,295 Member
    Options

No. Your BMR is the minimum level of calories your body needs to keep your vital life functions going. And it's incredibly unlikely to build muscle (which takes a caloric surplus) and lose weight (which takes a caloric deficit) at the same time. That is why you will see weight lifters going through "bulk" and "cut" cycles. They bulk up their calories for awhile to build muscle, then cut them back down to lose the fat they may have gained while bulking.

Figure out your TDEE and eat slightly below that to lose fat or a little above it to build muscle.

This^
  • eazy_
    eazy_ Posts: 516 Member
    Options

sounds legit