Core workout advice

Options
So I can run a 5k with a 10 minute mile and I’m working towards my 10k race in five weeks. Everything is fine and dandy with the running, I’m making progress with the distance and time.

However, I am noticing that my form gets terrible most days after a few miles. A friend recommended working out my core, but here is the thing…

I can’t even plank for 20 seconds before wanting to die. I can’t even do one pushup! (the girl kind either, I know it’s pathetic)

The thought of attending a fitness class terrifies me now after a terrible experience with a TRX class (being the only person who couldn’t do any of the ab exercises. I threw up after 20 minutes. No, thank you!!!!)

Even the “beginner” workout dvds and videos online haven’t worked for me. It’s too much too fast and I end up getting pissed at myself and turning the video off.

Therefore, I am so done with workout DVDs and classes until I get into good enough shape to even handle them. What do you guys suggest for a wimp like me getting started with core workouts? /gently/

TL;DR:
Is there a routine or regime I can follow that is totally SOLO and not super intense to improve my core?

Replies

• bayernfan94
    Options
    intense Jump rope, squats, lunges, leg raises, sit ups. try doing pull ups and push ups. even if you get only 1 pull up and 1 push up the first day, you would be able to do 2 the next day, or day after that. you gotta start somewhere.

Also, ive thrown up a WHOLE BUNCH of times at the arena where i train mma and strength and conditioning. nothing to be embarrassed about. if anything your pushing yourself harder than the rest to get to the throw up point
  • juliewatkin
    juliewatkin Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    There are tons of core exercises. I generally find that stuff boring so I do different things. A list of stuff I do:

-push ups (keep at them like the guy above said)
    -hanging leg raises - start with knees bent if full leg is too hard
    -dumb bell side bends - hold a dumb bell in one had and lean to the other side (easy right - just pick your weight)
    -suit case dead lifts - pick up a dumb bell from the floor on one side while staying straight like carrying a suit case
    -ab roller/bar roll outs - on your knees with a bar and plate on the bar and roll out until you are straight
    -standing ab crunches (use the cable at the gym or bands)
    -even doing odd object carries. If you are carrying anything that requires your body to stay up straight under any load works your core. One very successful powerlifter I know (from whom I got most of my core ideas) will walk with a dumb bell in one hand over his head for core creating an off balance load

From him I also got the idea for fall outs using tow straps and super loaded front squat static holds but I wouldn't try those just yet.

Core isn't just abs. It's all the muscles that keep us up right. Keep at it and try new things.
  • bayernfan94
    Options
    check out this guy hes a genius, and not selling anything.
    http://scoobysworkshop.com/2012/07/01/rotisserie-functional-core-abs-workout/
  • LindaFit4Life
    LindaFit4Life Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Planks are great, but tough at first. Try to add a few seconds each day. You can even try doing from your knees if necessary. Also good for the core are seated moves like Russian twists, and ones from your back like bicycling, leg lifts, and various Pilates style moves, including hip lifts (raising legs to the ceiling and using abs to pulse feet toward the ceiling). Don't forget side planks, although they are even tougher than the front plank. You can start with the side of your knees resting on the floor if necessary.

Don't ignore your back, along with the abs. It's easy to forget it. You can do superman, and also do flies, rowing, etc. with free weights.

As far as pushups, also start from your knees (or against the wall) until they get easier. Then start regular ones gradually, and build up.

Good luck, and don't give up!
  • lucan07
    lucan07 Posts: 509
    Options
    I had a real problem with core after several abdominal surgeries meaning I had many restrictions on what I could do, I found rowing was really good for me, a good all over workout that strengthened my core and back enough to allow me to move on to planks etc!
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    You are going to have to push through a little discomfort to get stronger.

If you cant plank for 20 sec then plank for 15. Rest for a minute then do another 15 seconds. Then again. That will be 45 seconds.

Then take a rest day.

Then try for 3 set of 16 seconds. Keep adding time over a few weeks and you will be much stronger.

If you cant do a girl push up then get in the push up position and lower yourself as slow as you can. Then reset and do it again. Do that about 10 times. Rest a day then try for 11 times. Keep adding reps until you can do an actual push up. Once you can do one just start adding one push up and keep doing the slow negatives until you can do two.

Once you can do these basic moves (which should only take a couple weeks) then start adding in some other harder exercises.
  • markpmc
    markpmc Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I think the point of most of these replies is simply to 'check your ego' and get started. Get started is the hardest part. You'll see improvements fairly quickly. After all there is a reason it's called WORKing out.
  • ashandstuff
    ashandstuff Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies guys! Some great stuff I will start doing. :]