clothes that motivate you

Options
The other day I said something to a family member about buying a new pair of jeans, and a nice top that would be a size smaller then I'm wearing, to hang up in my bedroom as a way to motivate me. I was told by this family member that I would be making a big mistake by doing that. She made it sound like this was a really bad idea, and that I was crazy for even thinking it. I would just like to know if others on MFP feel the same way, that this would be a bad idea.

Replies

• ThePlight
    ThePlight Posts: 3,593 Member
    Options
    I have a pair of pants hung up on my closet that I want to get into comfortably.
    I think this is a good idea, because when you try to get into the clothes and notice how much closer you are to fitting them comfortably, you can push yourself harder to actually get there.
  • caramelgyrlk
    caramelgyrlk Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    I think it's awesome. I brought a dress in April for my daughter's graduation in June that was tight. On June 13th I put it on and had room.

Let nothing or anyone get in your headspace.
  • MalindaLeigh714
    MalindaLeigh714 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Good motivation! I can't wait to wear cute little summer dresses...Zooey deschanel style!
  • SalishSea
    SalishSea Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    That family member seems rude and definitely wrong. People find motivation from all kinds of different sources. For me, clothes is a huge motivator. As a matter of fact, just this morning I made my family old-fashioned French toast with lots of butter and real maple syrup. I thought about having some but I said to myself, "oh no, I have all those cute jeans and looking good in them is way more important than having French toast today". Looking good counts in this world. Whether it be for yourself or your job or just because it feels great. If you can afford it I would suggest you buy yourself a nice outfit and hang it up in your room. It works for motivation!
  • AngelRobbie
    AngelRobbie Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I do that, right now it's a bikini I wanna wear over spring break in March. And I have a 'wall of motivation' where I put little quotes, pictures and a mirror so everyday I'm reminded why I am doing this. Do whatever works for you and don't let ANYONE tell you differently. Good luck!
  • Rosieannaxo
    Options
    I have a dress I bought hanging in front of my closet for my graduation in the spring. It's a size smaller from where I am now but it's a great motivator to keep on going with my diet. I think what you're doing is awesome, keep on going with it! Don't like anybody discourage you from doing what you need to do! Because at the end of the day, it's your body and whatever helps you change it, do it!
  • skinnybythanksgiving
    Options
    It depends on whether it motivates you or not. I hung the pants I wanted to get into in my closet with my other pants that fit when I started in July. Today the size 4's fit.

I've had to be careful about seeking support from some female family members, unfortunately they tend to be jealous and competitive. Now you know what to expect and won't be surprised if you seek support from her again.
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    A Bane costume.

;)
  • Katrina_vw91
    Katrina_vw91 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    My prom dress from almost 6 years ago (it was almost too tight when I first bought it and wore it for prom).

I've lost 36 pounds and tried it on. It falls off of me.... sweet, sweet success. But now I have to buy a bikini and hang it up! I want to be toned enough to wear it freely :)
  • lissaann29078
    lissaann29078 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your responses, and I will try not to listen to negativity from others!
  • RunBrew
    RunBrew Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I received an 'under armour' style compression shirt as a gift when I first started to lose weight, but was way too self-conscious to wear something literally skin-tight. Rather than return it, I just hung it up at the end of my closet bar where I'd see it and be reminded, and now 9- months later, its a little loose on me and I really like it.

Everyone has their own motivation. Screw 'em if others don't understand it. It's YOUR motivation.
  • lissaann29078
    lissaann29078 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    You are right, thanks RunBrew.
  • mel4bee
    mel4bee Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I have a pair of jeans that shrank while I was doing laundry. They were a 4 now a 2 lol. I officially fit in them now!
  • thatjeffsmith
    thatjeffsmith Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I use clothes as motivation, but a bit differently.

After I reached my goal weight, I bought a super-expensive pair of jeans and a leather jacket. Now I'm motivated to make sure they always fit!

So reward and maintain vs something to look fwd to or punish yourself with...
  • WorkingOutInPA
    WorkingOutInPA Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I don't think there is anything wrong with buying an outfit in a smaller size. In fact, I have an outfit & a dress hanging up on my armour for movitation. I thought about hanging my largest size jeans but that would be too depressing. I don't need another thing to remind me that this isn't where I want to be, you know?

I say, ignore them. You are doing this for YOU!
  • MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    Options
    Heck yeah. I keep various shirts, pants and skirts around to test how much I'm losing (I go by how many inches I can lose compared to the number of pounds).
  • HollisGrant
    HollisGrant Posts: 2,022 Member
    Options
    The other day I said something to a family member about buying a new pair of jeans, and a nice top that would be a size smaller then I'm wearing, to hang up in my bedroom as a way to motivate me. I was told by this family member that I would be making a big mistake by doing that. She made it sound like this was a really bad idea, and that I was crazy for even thinking it. I would just like to know if others on MFP feel the same way, that this would be a bad idea.

Do it tomorrow.

I did exactly that and it worked. I started as a size 14/16 and bought a beautiful pair of size 12 jeans that I left out where I could see them. Sometimes I would try them on -- and couldn't even pull them up. Finally, one day, I could wear them. It was a thrill. Now I fit into size 10 and my magical inspiration jeans are getting way too big. Tip: go to a thrift store and look for jeans there -- you can pick up a pair for less than $5.00.
  • CandaceG514
    CandaceG514 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I think that is a great idea! I had a pair of pants when I started that I couldn't even get up my hips. I would try them on once a month and it was so motivating to see them getting closer and closer to fitting until they finally did! Just ignore that person! It seems losing weight seems to make people think they have a right to give you their opinion about what you are doing and the way you look. :mad:
  • janer4jc
    janer4jc Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    To each his own. Whatever you find that motivates you is great. For some it's pictures of themselves, for others it's how certain clothes fit. My only caution would be that if we're using clothes, they're clothes that will realistically fit (either now or in the future). Buying pants that are one size smaller is realistic anything more than that could be demotivating.
  • ShellyBell999
    ShellyBell999 Posts: 1,482 Member
    Options
    Visual goals have worked well for me.

I call them wish pants because I wished to be able to wear them someday and now I do.

Go for it!!

Eta sp