So bummed :( weight gain?

Options
So I stepped on the scale today after I ate (I know, silly idea) and I had gained 3 pounds. MFP has my maintenance at 1580 calories and yesterday I had about 1900 by having Cracker Barrel plus ice cream cake. Today I had about 1700 because my grandma made a home cooked meal (the whole works) and had a piece of cake, plus her choc chip cookies. Tomorrow, my boyfriend is taking me to lunch and my mom is taking me to dinner. I will be having about 2200 calories... Yikes. This was all for my birthday which is tomorrow. It was the only way I could fit in time with my all of my family. I had to have seperate parties for both sides of my family. I really want to enjoy this time because hey, your birthday only comes once a year, right? I'm extremely upset that I gained 3 pounds in 2 days and who knows how much it'll be after tomorrow. I do exercise for 2 to 2 and a half hours everyday. I burn at least 600 calories a day so I'd still be under my Maintenance the first 2 days. Did I really gain 3 pounds? I'm having a hard time enjoying myself now and almost too upset to go anywhere tomorrow.

Replies

• PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    If you truly got on the scale after you ate, you probably ate 3 lbs of food. Wait until you've digested your meal and your tummy is empty before weighing yourself.
    Also, don't worry about a week of overeating. It'll balance out in the end. Enjoy your birthday week.
  • ThePlight
    ThePlight Posts: 3,593 Member
    Options
    Okay, just catch your breath for a second and remember to make sure to get back on track on the upcoming days. Three pounds is not that much of a big deal and can be EASILY fixed. Happy Birthday, by the way :)
  • ScarletShopaholic
    ScarletShopaholic Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Firstly, Happy Birthday! Secondly, don't get weighed again until you've had a week of eating at your normal calories and exercise, you should be fine. You're not going over by enough calories to have put on 3lbs of fat. Enjoy your birthday and get back to eating right and exercising after your day. And also, look at how much you've lost already - no need to panic! :flowerforyou:
  • benefiting
    benefiting Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    Happy birthday!

Everyone is right - don't stress. Wait for your food to digest before you weigh yourself. If you have gained weight, it's okay. It's a journey and we are all going to go up and down at times. Enjoy your week, as you said you only have one birthday a year. Just get back into it when you have finished your celebrations. :)
  • bridgeydidge8
    bridgeydidge8 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    No Chance!!! it's probably alot of water retention from increased sodium, make sure to drink alot of water and only weigh yourself again the morning after your birthday, remember it takes an extra 3500cal to gain 1 pound! :) And enjoy your birthday and the time with your family, that is the most important thing :)
  • twinketta
    twinketta Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    Happy birthday :flowerforyou:

You have probably over done the carbs with what you have eaten to your normal daily intake.

Don`t sweat it! Enjoy your birthday and get back on track as soon as you can.

I doubt you have gained 3lbs of fat. if you eat a lot of carbs and are used to eating a more proactive protein diet you will `bulk up` with water.

It will go again, try to drink lots of water.
  • Peachy1962
    Peachy1962 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    You can hold up to 5 pounds of water weight at any given time so dont let that scale FREAK ya out!!! LOL :flowerforyou:
  • Peachy1962
    Peachy1962 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    Happy Birthday Early!!! xxxx :heart:
  • Ophidiaaa
    Options
    Thanks everyone!! :)
  • iechick
    iechick Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself daily but only count Fridays as the weight I track/keep an eye on-the day furthest away from the previous weekend :laugh: I always eat more calories on the weekend (think I clocked in at over 3,000 yesterday), but then during the week I eat less so it all evens out.

Maintenance is for the rest of our lives, don't worry about one or two days here and there of higher calories-it's what we do for the majority of the time that's going to count :)
  • bellevie86
    bellevie86 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    No Chance!!! it's probably alot of water retention from increased sodium, make sure to drink alot of water and only weigh yourself again the morning after your birthday, remember it takes an extra 3500cal to gain 1 pound! :) And enjoy your birthday and the time with your family, that is the most important thing :)

THIS! If you do the math it's impossible to have eaten and extra 7000 cals in two days, based on what you said you ate. I think after losing the amount of weight you lost already you're no dummy at estimating cals. SODIUM can be a b**** sometimes. So I say give it a couple days to regulate itself and you'll settle back where you were. I sometimes even end up going further down once my sodium and water is regulated. If you're looking to watch it when you go out for the next two meals. figure out where you wanna go and access their nutritional guide online, some places have smart sodium options :)
  • katbirdinpa
    Options
    measure your food and try to get up and walk to get a glass of water after half. Just wait and I bet you will feel full
  • EmilyEmpowered
    EmilyEmpowered Posts: 650 Member
    Options
    relax a little!

It is ok to have a few days here and there where you loosen up your diet some. If you have already made the decision that the time with your family is important and you want to enjoy it by going out to dinner and induling a little, then just ENJOY IT! Dont torture yourself with things like weighing yourself, because that takes the fun out of your birthday.

You will gain a little from these couple of days, but it is going to be water weight and you will be back on track before you know it. 2200 calories in one day is NOT going to make you gain 3 pounds of fat.

Oh, and happy birthday! :bigsmile: :flowerforyou:
  • comm1t_1984
    comm1t_1984 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! :drinker:
    If you are eating out remember the amount of sodium in that food and how the food is prepared. You'll be fine :) Enjoy your couple of days and then do a cleanse that works for you...something like - A LOT OF WATER, and fruit and veggies. Enjoy your birthday and don't get on the scale right after you eat ;) hehe
  • JessHealthKick
    JessHealthKick Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    wake up

poo

weigh!

do it every day for a week and you'll realise how much weight fluctuates (hormones, water retention).

3 pounds is a small amount, don't let it get to you!
  • guessrs
    guessrs Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    Why would you weigh yourself after eating so much? We all have days like that I just don't weigh myself until a week later when I'm back on track.
    It's all trial and error, seeing a pattern in your diet what works what doesn't. Restaurant meals are high in cals and sodium so have those sometimes but not too often.
  • jrupp0677
    jrupp0677 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I agree with earlier replies. We all slip sometimes. Don't worry you'll get back on track. It never hurts to give yourself a break. Keep your head up!
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    Firstly, Happy Birthday! Secondly, don't get weighed again until you've had a week of eating at your normal calories and exercise, you should be fine. You're not going over by enough calories to have put on 3lbs of fat. Enjoy your birthday and get back to eating right and exercising after your day. And also, look at how much you've lost already - no need to panic! :flowerforyou:

Hear her.
  • littleburgy
    littleburgy Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    I doubt you ate the 10,000 calories needed to gain 3 lbs of fat. It's probably just food and water.

Enjoy your birthday :D
  • fashionosack
    Options
    First, it should increase dietary intake, weight gain, it is necessary to provide the body synthesize organizational needs of the various nutrients, dietary content should be rich and varied, not picky eaters, the partial eclipse, to try to make delicious meals. Adequate intake of protein in the case, should eat some fat, carbohydrates (ie, starch, sugar, etc.) rich foods. Thus, the excess energy can be converted to fat storage in the skin, so emaciated were enriched.

Second, we should maintain adequate and good sleep. If people sleep more adequate, appetite is good, but also conducive to digestion and absorption of food.

Third, adequate exercise. Especially for those people who sit in their offices long, every day should be taking some time to exercise, which not only help to improve the appetite, but also make muscles stronger, more fit physique.