Smoker to 10K Runner In 6 Months!!!

Options
mreeves261
mreeves261 Posts: 728 Member
Sorry this is so long. Thanks in advance to those who take the time to read!

I never would have thought I would ever run a race, EVER. But here I sit having finished my first official race, a 10K.

I smoked for years, 25 of them to be exact. I must have quit 1000 times and failed 999 of those times. I had been working out for a few months when I decided I needed to try again. So on April 28th this year I smoked my last cigarette. I have never looked back. My friends smoking doesn't bother me, having a few beers doesn't bother me. I just wanted to be done this time and I was done. I will never be a Non-Smoker but I will continue to be a ex-smoker.

After I finished Insanity (while I was smoking) I didn't know what to do next. It was heading into summer time, softball season, cycling season, grilling, basically everything outdoors and I didn't want another in house/gym routine. I found a C25K app and loaded it onto my iPhone. Got a heart rate monitor and started running. It is more a a chunky butt shuffle, but its running to me.

I cruised through the summer almost finishing the C25K app before I had the thought, "what will I do next?" So I deleted the C25K app and loaded the 10K bridge version. A friend of mine at work who has been a runner almost their entire life sent me the info for a race they were running. I was wishy washy for a few weeks before I signed up for the 10K race. So now there was NO reason for me not to run. Well I came across a few. I over-trained a bit and ended up with a pretty bad plantar facaiitis. I spent a week sleeping in a boot and wearing arch straps to work. With only a week before the race and healed feet I started coming down with a cold. So yesterday, the day before my race, I ended up in the doctors office getting antibiotics for a severe cold with an ear infection.

Today, Race Day, I get up and head out to greet the day and the first official race of my 39 years of life. I gathered all my necessary running paraphernalia and I was off. I found myself standing in 34 degree weather so excited I couldn't feel anything! My only goal for today was to run the entire time/distance. And I did just that. For the first time in my life I ran 6.21 miles!!! And my thoughts went like this...

Mile 1 - Why did I agree to do this. And why am I doing this with a severe cold and ear infection. I feel like crap.

Mile 2 - My ears popped and my nose began to run. I can do this. I will run until I get to 3 miles at least.

Mile 3 - "Ice, Ice Baby too cold..." Yep that was what Pandora was playing as I passed the 3 mile mark.

Mile 4 - Hey I'm at mile 4 and still running!!! I can do 2 more miles easy!

Mile 5 - Just before the 5 mile marker some of the homeowners were passing out Bud Light shots. Man it was awesome!

Male 6 - Really?!?! I just RAN 6 miles???

Finish Line - I DID IT, I DID IT, I DID IT!!!!!! I ran the entire race!!!! It took me officially 1:28:39. But that doesn't matter

I always heard running was addictive and I sort of laughed thinking that can't be right. When I got home I started looking for another race to sign up for!!!! Looks like I'm hooked!

Replies

• leslie4713
    Options
    Congratulations! :-)
  • kjm_723
    kjm_723 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    That's awesome! Congrats :)
  • jennygeo1
    jennygeo1 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    That's great! I can totally relate and appreciate this story! WTG and keep it up!

I have a zombie run next weekend :)
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    OMG! I was reading your description and was going to ask if you were at my run. And then I saw you were! I remember the beer truck. Two women dressed as skeletons were running the wrong way to get back to it lol.

Great job!!!! I had a PR today for the 10K and was thrilled.
  • mreeves261
    mreeves261 Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    OMG! I was reading your description and was going to ask if you were at my run. And then I saw you were! I remember the beer truck. Two women dressed as skeletons were running the wrong way to get back to it lol.

Great job!!!! I had a PR today for the 10K and was thrilled.

Congrats on your PR! There were a lot of people doing U-Turns once they realized it was a BEER truck they passed!!!
  • chm2616
    chm2616 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    that's fantastic!!!!! congrats!!!!
  • Alex
    Alex Posts: 10,145 MFP Staff
    Options
    Congratulations on not just trying, but succeeding! I loved your description of the inner-dialog you had going during the race. Good luck on your next race. :flowerforyou:
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options
    Congrats!!
  • CherylP67
    CherylP67 Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    Congrats on that run, that is awesome!

Super huge congrats on quitting smoking, I'm sure after 25 years it wasn't easy!
  • FancyPantsFran
    FancyPantsFran Posts: 3,687 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your HUGE accomplishment . Your story is inspiring
  • SinomenJen
    SinomenJen Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    That is chock full of amazing sauce!!! Congrats!
  • Gr8ChangesAhead
    Gr8ChangesAhead Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Seriously Awesome !
  • bc92487
    bc92487 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    You are officially my new inspiration!
  • jmcowan42
    jmcowan42 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Amazing! Congrats on quitting smoking and running that 10k. 6 miles is no joke! You. Are. Awesome!

Next is the half marathon :)
  • Focusedjessy
    Focusedjessy Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I got goosebumps reading this. Great job! Beer..... that's awesome!
    119500 Posts: 2
    Options
    Hello-
    I was inspired by your story. I am struggling with alcohol addiction. For the last 6 months I have been on a medication to curb cravings. It helped some but I was still drinking excessively so my physician doubled the dose. I still have an occasional drink but nothing like I was doing. My journey has been hard but so worth it as I feel so much better. I am in a 13 week body transformation challenge at a gym. We are half-way through the challenge. My motivation in the last few weeks has been low to journal my food each day and get an additional workout or two in, so I am really try to step it up as the holidays are getting closer. My goal is to feel good over the holidays and not be consumed with a beer at a party. Keep up the good work!
  • Whereismycoffee
    Whereismycoffee Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Grats!!! and thank you for the morning inspiration. I needed that this morning after yesterday. Keep it up!
  • Catlady87
    Catlady87 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    That's fantastic, well done you! Sub 90 minutes, first time 10K, with a head cold and ear infection is superb!!
    Love the phrase "chunky butt shuffle" btw.
  • sadrac4683
    sadrac4683 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Awesome really proud of you.
  • Tctr
    Tctr Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Congrats!!!!

Ran my first 10k on the 27th too. Actually, first race ever.

No beer truck at ours though. :(
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!