Mini success - 100 pull ups...

Options
Slacker16
Slacker16 Posts: 1,184 Member
...not in a row though, lol. Technically speaking, 55 pull ups and 45 chin ups, but the difference between the two is small.

I usually do 2-3 sets of 10 in the morning (when I remember) and rarely push myself too hard (see my avatar, I chose it for a reason). Anyway, I didn't have much to do this afternoon, so on a whim I decided to see if I could do it.

I did a pyramid (1-2-...-9-10-9-...-2-1) while cooking my meals for this week, doing pull ups on the way up and chin ups on the way down. The rules of the game were that my breaks could be as long as I wanted, but I had to do them all with, as much as possible, good form (no kipping and going down until elbows locked)

Shameful admission time:
it took me almost two hours to finish and on sets 9, 10, 9 (bis), 8 (bis) and 7 (bis) I had to take a 10 second break before the last two reps (in retrospect I should have paced myself better, did the first 7 sets very quickly and burned out)...

...oh well, next time it'll go smoother. I'm still pretty proud.

Replies

• ThePlight
    ThePlight Posts: 3,593 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!!! And let me add, not shameful at all!! I can't even do one yet ;)
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    I would die! Actually, I am not sure if I would. I have been lifting for almost 3 months, but I am afraid to do pull-ups, because I will look like an assclown if I am not able to do it, lol. I will get there soon. Congrats to you though!
  • Slacker16
    Options
    I thought I would give a quick update from the dreaded "morning after".

I'm sore but nothing too extreme. A few days off the pull up bar and I'll recover. I think I'll do it again in a week, pacing myself better this time, and see if my time improves.

What's funny is that my back and biceps (which are the main muscles used) don't feel too bad - perhaps a bit of tightness between the shoulder blades - and my forearms are a bit sore but less so than the last time I played squash. On the other hand, my shoulders, chest and abs are killing me. I guess we've identified the weak links in the chain.

P.S.
    And let me add, not shameful at all!!
    Well, this IS a barely concealed bragging thread... However, after I finished I googled "100 pull-ups" and saw plenty of people saying they did them in 15-20 mins or that they do it everyday, so I felt a bit inadequate.
  • Slacker16
    Options
    (...)
    ...oh well, next time it'll go smoother. I'm still pretty proud.
    Sorry for the thread resurrection.

I've done the 100 pull ups again today, same format, and it did go much smoother. It still took 1hr45mins (clocked) but none of the sets required double takes. This time, I'm really proud.

I'm cooking a little post-workout meal (which I'll log for tomorrow because I'm out of calories for today) then it's off to bed. DOMS, come at me bro!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!