Painful shins when running or power walking

If I power walk or run I'll often get an achy pain in my shins. It doesn't always happen though, one day I can be fine and the next I'll try the same and I'll be in agony. When this happens I usually hop off the treadmill and stick to the cross trainer for a few weeks before building back up on the treadmill to try power walking or running again but the pain always come back. Oddly, power walking outside tends to be fine, or any pain stops as soon as I slow the pace but is ok once I speed up again. Trying this method on the treadmill however doesn't work. I always warm up by walking at an easy pace first, gradually increasing speed to my usual pace of walking and gradually increasing the incline for a good 10-15mins first. Does anyone have any advice at all? Apart from to cut the treadmill out lol. Oh, the pain also isn't there during sprints, just during a 5mph pace (more of a jog than a run thinking about it lol)

Replies

• The_WoIverine
    The_WoIverine Posts: 367 Member
    If I'm not mistaken, this is known as shin splints. Basically it has to do with the tibialis anterior muscle being weak. It is suggested to perform strengthening exercises (you can find many on youtube) to help the muscle get stronger and minimize the pain until it finally goes away. I get it sometimes as well when running.
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    A zero incline on a treadmill can mimic a downgrade; a negative incline, if you will. To avoid this problem, walk/run with at least some incline when on a treadmill. I use 2% and this eliminated the shin splints.
  • SusanUW83
    SusanUW83 Posts: 152 Member
    I have painful shins next day after power walking -- I think mostly because I extend my stride to try to walk faster. Also happens when I try to match strides with someone taller. I find a mid-foot strike while running on the treadmill (shorter steps, upright stance) tends to not hurt things as much as a heel strike. That's they kind of thing all those new "minimalist" running shoes encourages, but I still wear more supportive shoes with orthotics or good commercial arch supports like superfeet.
  • lil_lizt
    lil_lizt Posts: 275 Member
    If I'm not mistaken, this is known as shin splints. Basically it has to do with the tibialis anterior muscle being weak. It is suggested to perform strengthening exercises (you can find many on youtube) to help the muscle get stronger and minimize the pain until it finally goes away. I get it sometimes as well when running.

I'll have a look for that thank you :)
  • lil_lizt
    A zero incline on a treadmill can mimic a downgrade; a negative incline, if you will. To avoid this problem, walk/run with at least some incline when on a treadmill. I use 2% and this eliminated the shin splints.

I've tried this but sadly it made no difference for me personally, thank you though :)
  • lil_lizt
    I have painful shins next day after power walking -- I think mostly because I extend my stride to try to walk faster. Also happens when I try to match strides with someone taller. I find a mid-foot strike while running on the treadmill (shorter steps, upright stance) tends to not hurt things as much as a heel strike. That's they kind of thing all those new "minimalist" running shoes encourages, but I still wear more supportive shoes with orthotics or good commercial arch supports like superfeet.

Thanks, I'll have a look for some arch supports, hadn't thought of that, thanks :)
  • atiana19
    atiana19 Posts: 94 Member
    I suffered from this in the beginning when I began running ...not sure if its good advice but it worked for me... since the pain was bearable I eased up on my intensity but continued to run slowly or walk quickly. Pain went away after about 2 weeks of continued exercise that strengthened my shin muscles. I run pain free now . Sometimes I guess you just have to work through it but at a lesser intensity... pain is usually from doing too much, too fast, too soon
  • ThePlight
    ThePlight Posts: 3,593 Member
    Whenever I decide to run past setting #5 on the treadmill, I get this. What helps me is slowing down some and then walking it off slowly. My pain is much less than when I started to exercise, though. It does go away :)
  • lil_lizt
    Thank you all :) I'm thinking of going to one of those sport shops that monitor how you run and match you up with trainers. I've never done it as I have a fear of how expensive it would be lol. I'll give that a go and some exercises before I start over again and stick to the elliptical in the mean time :)
  • taidasrictar
    taidasrictar Posts: 100 Member
    also if your running make sure you get good running shoes. go to a specialty running store so they can get shoes that fit your running style

that eliminated my shin splits
  • Hey! This sounds a lot like shin splints (when the muscle in you shins starts pulling away from your bone and may cause stress fractures.) I have had shin splints off and on for the past four years. There are lots of exercises that you can do to strengthen the muscles in your calves which help prevent them. Also, there are things called calf compression sleeves that I use when my shin splints get bad or if I run for any longer than a mile to prevent them from getting worse. Here is a link to some stretches that will help http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2G5WCJBpps (I usually just do the first one about 20 times before and after I work out, I do them with a resistance band if I notice the shin splints are coming back). Lastly here is a link for calf compression sleeves, they definitely aren't the most attractive things but they do the job http://www.compressionsport.com/Zensah-Shin-Compression-Sleeve-6045.html . Hopefully this helps a little :)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    sounds like shin splints...It's always my first cue that I need new runners.