The infamous "cheat day"

Options
1235»

Replies

• Siansonea
    Siansonea Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    I don't do cheat days. I thought the whole point was to stop the binge/starve cycle. Doesn't seem very beneficial anyway. Besides, I already eat fast food and whatnot, there's not much "cheating" for me to do, other than gorging on lots and lots of calories. Meh, I don't need to do that, I'm getting enough to eat. :drinker:
  • willrun4bagels
    willrun4bagels Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    I don't have a "cheat day" per se, but do allow myself to have dessert, a few glasses of wine, a cheesy delicious appetizer, etc. once in a while, but I always make sure to log it as best as I can.

I have anything that I want on holidays, but in smaller portions than I used to. (Spinach dip with pumpernickel bread - however - I will eat as much as I want :drinker: )

My SO and I have a tradition every Thanksgiving morning, we run a 5 mile Turkey Trot race in our area. On the morning of Christmas Eve, we also do a long run together. Makes me feel better about overindulging all day :happy:
  • rileyhunter169
    Options
    I don't have cheat days; I hate that whole mentality of weird and slightly obsessive food restrictions; I eat what pretty much what and when I want as long as it falls into my flexible dieting macro/micro template. But... I do have a refeed on Friday, Saturday or Sunday, or both to get some glycogen so I can keep my lifts up as I diet. Usually it's beer, wine, regular foods with more discretionary calories. Unfortunately this does slow down fat loss; but performance retention is and should be the priority here; I don't care how fast right now. Now... Holidays must always remain epic failures; so from this Saturday through to thanksgiving, I cut out the refeeds; or at least minimize the degree to maintenance or -10%.
  • dlkingsbury
    dlkingsbury Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    i do more of a "cheat meal" and it's not like i go all out and eat a whole pizza and carton of ice cream, but more like i will allow myself to have a smaller portion of a creamy pasta dish or two slices of pizza, while still making sure that i exercise that day and keep my other meals healthy.
  • mazmataz
    mazmataz Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I do have a refeed on Friday, Saturday or Sunday, or both to get some glycogen so I can keep my lifts up as I diet. Usually it's beer, wine....

I like your style ;)
  • arcana7609
    arcana7609 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    What are you cheating? By making something naughty and a cheat all you are doing is reinforcing a bad relationship with food. In the same way as classifying food as good and bad you are putting human emotions upon it. If you have to 'cheat' you are not eating sustainably. I have occasions I technically I go over its not a cheat it is life I move on knowing that the exercise and normal calorie intake for the week will counteract it. No cheating just living. To me calorie goals are not chiseled in stone they are a guide.

Really well said. I just recently started using this tool because I was curious about what I was eating and because I am planning on slowly making my way to a more paleo diet and needed a tool to help me with that. I think people err when they start to moralize about food. "I am a good person because I didn't eat blah" or "I am a bad person because I ate blah". That sort of thinking leads to the thought that "fat people are bad", which is really harmful thinking.
  • lysslax
    Options
    Once a week, usually Sunday, I will have a high calorie meal around 800-1200 calories. I try not to let it put me at a surplus for the week, so I kind of plan in advance by eating lower than my net goal in the days leading up. If I've had a high calorie week I will still splurge a little on Sunday, but with smaller portions.

My favorite splurges are: Pizza, Indian food, Chinese food, and ice cream. I'm already looking forward to next Sunday!!!