Half Marathon training tips for the overweight, please!

Options
In March of this year I was 303lbs, in April I started doing C25K but at a slower pace than 3 runs a week as it hammered my knees. About 3 months in I realised I loved running for the first time in my life. After a particularly satisfying Sunday morning run I signed up for next May's Great Manchester Run (10k). Training for that I'm reasonably comfortable - I ran 9k yesterday so I'm more concerned about a decent time than making the distance. However, whilst on a high after yesterday's run I have signed up for next year's Cardiff half marathon! Its not until the start of October but all the training plans I can find seem to be aimed at either experienced runners who can do 10k in an hour or less or people who haven't run at all. I'm still 80lbs over weight and will continue to eat at a deficit and cross training (elliptical, cycling and weights) to help weight loss and fitness. I'm limited in time on week days but can train longer at a weekend. I realise I have plenty of time but am after some hints and tips to set me on the right path.

Thanks in advance :)

Replies

• Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your accomplishments.

You are correct you have plenty of time.

I ran my first half 3 months after taking my first step running and ran my second half the following day.

I can't give you recommendations on training plan as I have always had to do my own due to health issues.

Some of the tips I think might be more universal is...

I see you are cross train with weights. Obviously since you stated you are eating at a deficit, you are strength training & not building muscles mass. Squat and deads have helped me considerably in running giving me strength and endurance to hold proper form while running.

Never work on distance and speed in the same day. Either increase distance and do so at a slower pace than usual, or work on speed on a distance you are very comfortable with.

Check for running clubs in your area that could possibly fit into your tight schedule.
  • KristiRTT
    KristiRTT Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Runners world has a smart coach, where your input a recent race time, date of goal race, number of runs a week, and it spits out a custom workout plan for you, with training paces and everything! I used it to train for my first 1/2!
  • josywosy
    josywosy Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I agree runners world has a good coach as does my Asics. Good luck with your training!
  • Samstan101
    Samstan101 Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone, I'll have a look at Runners World & Asics. Also thanks for the tips (especially the speed & distance one as that is something I'd not have thought of).
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    Runners world has a smart coach, where your input a recent race time, date of goal race, number of runs a week, and it spits out a custom workout plan for you, with training paces and everything! I used it to train for my first 1/2!

That's pretty cool!

I didn't follow a specific program when I trained for my half. What I did do was this (after I successfully could run a 10K):

Week A: two short runs during the week (short = 3.5 miles or less), 1 long run on weekends (long run = 7.5 miles or more)
    Week B: two short runs during the week (short = 3.5 miles or less), 1 medium run on weekends (medium run = 3.5 to 7.5 miles)
    Repeat!
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    Really interesting. I did a program on Runner's World for my half next April and it's saying I can do it in 2:17:52. I'm really not sure that's possible LOL. But...maybe I should do the program and see how it goes! I'm just hoping to get between 2:30 to 2:39 somewhere.
  • Samstan101
    Samstan101 Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    Anybody else with hints/ tip/ experience to share, please?
  • LoveLaughSweatFuel
    LoveLaughSweatFuel Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Jeff Galloway and Hal Higdon both bave plans for beginners. Next October is nothing. You will do absolutely greT. If I could go from a 5k to full marathon being far froma runner. Anyone can do it! Good luck and always believe in yourself!