Do you track calories before or after you've had your meal?

Options

Replies

• katbirdinpa
    Options
    I plan my food and track after Ive measured and eaten my food
  • Sovictorrious
    Sovictorrious Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    I add as i eat.
  • Rosieannaxo
    Options
    I usually log the night before so I have a food plan the next day. Sometimes, I change it up but usually I don't. I like knowing that I don't have to worry about calculations and whatnot the next day
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    After I completed my meals. Most of the time I have only a vague idea of what I am going to prepare/eat before I step into the kitchen.
  • NavyKnightAh13
    NavyKnightAh13 Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    I add as i eat.

This. My husband and I split who makes the meal so I never know what will be for dinner. As far as other meals, I log it as I eat it so this way I don't feel guilty for eating.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    I always planned out my day and pre-logged everything. Easy to stay on track that way and also make sure I'm hitting all of my macro goals. Adjustments were rare, but I made them as necessary.
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    I like to log in advance so I can tweak it if I need to. Sometimes I do the whole day; sometimes just before I have the meal. Sometimes after, but that rarely works out well.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    I've been wondering about this for a bit. How many of y'all plan ahead? Do you think there's any negative side to doing so? I do it, because I'm scared of eating too much and ruining the balance of my meals. Hate to end up with too few calories for dinner.

I definitely plan ahead, but I also leave room for an occasional treat. I have been known to replace a planned snack with something else, therefore I will change it in my diary when I do.

At work, I don't eat anything but what I've logged in, which is whatever is in my lunchbox I bring from home.
  • willdob3
    willdob3 Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    Both. I enter what I'm planning to have so my food is spread out over the day & I know what I'll be eating. I go through and make sure what I ate is the same as what was planned after the meals & at the end of the day.

Sometimes I change what I am having or the amount. For example, tonight my chicken breast weighed less than the last time I had it so I changed it.
  • Elpaw4mbv
    Elpaw4mbv Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    After. I tend to obsess about what I plan to eat if I log it first. I plan out the week's menu on Sundays but I only log what actually goes in my mouth. My goal is to stop thinking about food all the time and try to be more of an eat to live vs. a live to eat kind of person.
  • CharlzO
    CharlzO Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I normally do mine as I eat, or shortly after. Then again, I usually check this site throughout the day, or the app, so I tend to know what my calories left look like, so I can adjust as I make the meal, and then update after I eat.
  • JenniTheVeggie
    JenniTheVeggie Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    90% of the time before!
  • Kevalicious99
    Kevalicious99 Posts: 1,131 Member
    Options
    I tend to pre log. The only problem is that some days my memory fails me and I cannot remember if I did actually eat the food.

But overall it seems to work well .. I am usually very very accurate with my logging. The addition of a food scale has helped things greatly.
  • MommaChocoLatte
    MommaChocoLatte Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Before if I can help it but since the updated app rarely works on my phone, its hit or miss when Im not at home :) But I am usually pretty spot on when Im out since I tend to stick to what I know.

I also log as I go.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    After it's in my plate and before I eat it, usually.
  • shivles
    shivles Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    I try to plan ahead, but sometimes I just don't know what I'm going to have
  • absmith_
    absmith_ Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I usually track my week in advance on sunday afternoons and adjust as needed!
  • elkahallick
    elkahallick Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    I meal plan atleast the day before, to make sure I have everything I need.... I always hit my numbers and it feels good to be able to say that..
  • sfbaumgarten
    sfbaumgarten Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    I usually track my day first and make changes as/after they happen.
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    I plan my food the night before or in the morning. I leave about 300-400 calories for wiggle room, in case a friend wants to meet for coffee or we decide to make cookies.