p90x Nutrition and Menu

Options
imlne
imlne Posts: 6 Member
I'm looking to start p90x, but the nutrition plan seems a little confusing.
Does any one understand the menu plan from teambeachbody?
Thanks

Replies

• Alyshe
    Alyshe Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    50% protien, 30% carb and 20% fat. total of all your calories. I personally am having a really hard time at consuming all that protien. My total calories for the day is 1800 so half of those cals have to go to protien and 30% to carb and 20 % to fat. I've never been a bid meat eater so :P but I do have yummy protien shakes! I do love p90x! It really really really works.
  • rhoward66
    rhoward66 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    The menu plan basically lays out what you should eat every day (specific foods with some recipes for preparing some of the items). You also have the option of using the portion plan, which lets you pick which items you want to eat. It tells you how many portions of fat, carbs, protein, veggies, fruits, etc to eat each day. I personally follow the menu plan (as best as I can).
  • TateFTW
    TateFTW Posts: 658 Member
    Options
    It's CRAZY complex. Why do you think I'm here?!
  • perrenn
    perrenn Posts: 11
    Options
    Its easy to do if you do custom goals on here- you can set your protein to 50% etc.... I CANNOT eat that much protein either... it doesn't seem to work out exactly... but i try to get close.. at least trying to stay lower on the carbs and fat. good luck!
  • PJilly
    PJilly Posts: 21,734 Member
    Options
    If you want to follow the P90X Nutrition Plan but keep it as simple as possible, I'd suggest doing this:

1. Use Beachbody's caloric needs calculator http://teambeachbody.com/eat-smart/nutrition-tools/caloric-needs to determine your daily calories. It's more specific to you individually than the three levels outlined in the P90X Nutrition Plan.

2. Manually set your own custom fitness goals on MFP, using the calories determined by the BB calculator.
    a. For Phase 1, use the ratios of 30% carbs, 50% protein, 20% fat.
    b. For Phase 2, use the ratios of 40% carbs, 40% protein, 20% fat.
    c. For Phase 3, use the ratios of 60% carbs, 20% protein, 20% fat.

Personally, I felt like the calories I got from the calculator were spot on (1,900), but I didn't care for the recommended ratios, especially for Phase 1. I function best with about 45% carbs, 30% protein, 25% fat. You'll have to decide exactly how you want to handle that part, but however you choose to do it, MFP makes it really simple to track. Hope that helps!
  • DelawareGal
    Options
    Hey, this is great advice-I wasn't sure of the ratios. I supplement with a protein shake so I can get enough protein (that's a lot of meat to eat otherwise) plus it's convenient (shake in the am & hit the road).

It's harder to dump the carbs low enough...I love my carbs but they don't love me!
  • PJilly
    PJilly Posts: 21,734 Member
    Options
    Hey, this is great advice-I wasn't sure of the ratios. I supplement with a protein shake so I can get enough protein (that's a lot of meat to eat otherwise) plus it's convenient (shake in the am & hit the road).

It's harder to dump the carbs low enough...I love my carbs but they don't love me!
    I've played around with carbs, and the sweet spot for me is 45%. I feel good and have no trouble losing fat at that percentage, so why not?