How to get to next level - help needed

Options
Hi, all: I have been on my lifestyle change for a year and 8 months or so. I have been going to the gym and seeing fantasic results. I lift weights 3-4 days a week and do cardio, too. I am finding that I am at a quite nasty plateau going between 3-4 pounds. Last week, I lifted 5 days a week along with cardio. I am finding that is a bit much; still feeling tired though. I just don't know how to push myself to the next level. Any suggestions?

Replies

• Derpes
    Derpes Posts: 2,033 Member
    Options
    Diversify your workout routine.....try new things.
  • selfepidemic1
    selfepidemic1 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Increase your water count, add more fat and less carbs to your diet and perhaps consider intermittent fasting if it still doesn't budge.

I was stuck for a little while, increased my macros on fat to 70% and my carbs at 5% and weight has fallen off me.

There maybe a scientific reason why you're stuck, apparently ( and this is all literally by what other people have said, so I am not 100% sure its true, but it makes sense ) when you're losing weight your body reshuffles all the fat, and a lot of the fat cells retain water because its freaking out about this massive change in lifestyle. This water will all fall off when your body realises it has no choice but to comply.

So drinking more water will benefit you greatly, just in case you are retaining water! C:
  • FrankiesSaysRelax
    FrankiesSaysRelax Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    I'd second trying new things. HIIT, kettlebell workouts, running/biking. Also, what about calorie cycling? I've had a lot of luck with that when hitting a plateau. What about a week off exercise? Or a week eating at maintenance? Sometimes just switching things up a little can cause movement on the scale.
  • action_figure
    action_figure Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    If you're lifting, you're not getting enough protein according to your diary. Looking back at what I've done, I seem to have three distinct phases to my diet. First I just counted calories. I did that for three months and lost 50 pounds. Then, I added exercise along with calorie counting. I increased the exercise as I got more fit. Did that for five months and lost another sixty pounds. Final step was getting a little more control over meal timing and macros. When I started seriously weight training, I started getting more protein. 1 gram per pound of ideal body weight was what I ended up settling on, for me that was 140 grams. I also started eating a bit more, 1600 calories vrs. 1300 as by that time I was up to 2 workouts a day six days a week. (Note: my goals are different this week because we're going on vacation and I don't think weight training is going to happen.) Also, I split my meals up into pre and post workout, lunch, dinner, afternoon and bedtime snacks. I'd go with 1 gram of protein per pound of body weight, 0.35 grams of fat per pound of body weight, remainder carbs, and give yourself a pre and post workout "meal" consisting of 24 grams each of protein and carbs to fuel your work and help your muscles recover, then spread the rest evenly throughout the day including a decent snack at bedtime. I know in the "big picture" meal timing doesn't mean AS MUCH as total calories in vrs. calories out, BUT when you're close to your goal it can make a small difference, especially when it comes to performance and maintaining your muscle mass.
  • MensEtSalvere2013
    MensEtSalvere2013 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much. I never would have thought of as much protein for my ideal weight. I will give that a try.
    If you're lifting, you're not getting enough protein according to your diary. Looking back at what I've done, I seem to have three distinct phases to my diet. First I just counted calories. I did that for three months and lost 50 pounds. Then, I added exercise along with calorie counting. I increased the exercise as I got more fit. Did that for five months and lost another sixty pounds. Final step was getting a little more control over meal timing and macros. When I started seriously weight training, I started getting more protein. 1 gram per pound of ideal body weight was what I ended up settling on, for me that was 140 grams. I also started eating a bit more, 1600 calories vrs. 1300 as by that time I was up to 2 workouts a day six days a week. (Note: my goals are different this week because we're going on vacation and I don't think weight training is going to happen.) Also, I split my meals up into pre and post workout, lunch, dinner, afternoon and bedtime snacks. I'd go with 1 gram of protein per pound of body weight, 0.35 grams of fat per pound of body weight, remainder carbs, and give yourself a pre and post workout "meal" consisting of 24 grams each of protein and carbs to fuel your work and help your muscles recover, then spread the rest evenly throughout the day including a decent snack at bedtime. I know in the "big picture" meal timing doesn't mean AS MUCH as total calories in vrs. calories out, BUT when you're close to your goal it can make a small difference, especially when it comes to performance and maintaining your muscle mass.