help needed getting to next level

Options
Hi, all: I have been on my lifestyle change for a year and 8 months or so. I have been going to the gym and seeing fantasic results. I lift weights 3-4 days a week and do cardio, too. I am finding that I am at a quite nasty plateau going between 3-4 pounds. Last week, I lifted 5 days a week along with cardio. I am finding that is a bit much; still feeling tired though. I just don't know how to push myself to the next level. Any suggestions? I had posted this on another forum topic but tought that this area might be more appropriate.

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Yah that 1200 calories goal has got to go....up.

No wonder you are tired.

Try calculating your TDEE and eat that minus 10-20% and up your protien esp if you are lifting.
  • Barbonica
    Barbonica Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    What is your next goal? How long have you been on the plateau? I am assuming you 4-5 pounds refers to weight loss, not lifting weight? If so, you should consider checking your caloric intake target. I had a "plateau" for ~9 months after losing 40+ pounds over a year. I got stronger and faster, lost inches and saw a slight reduction in body fat, but weight loss was only down 3-4 pounds. I started eating a little less, and started exercising a little more and viola! Started losing weight again. I felt maintaining for that period to be a success - proved that I could maintain, which is also a challenge, but then reached the time that I decided to start losing again.

For the record, I was (and am) perimenopausal, and there is some evidence to indicate that estrogen helps regulate weight and the reduction of estrogen is linked to weight gain. This may not be relevant to you, but I include it for other women who may be looking at this thread.

http://www.webmd.com/menopause/guide/menopause-weight-gain-and-exercise-tips

Of course, also suggest you track inches as an additional indicator; the scale is only one. Good luck and hang in there. Remember your success to date, and remember that even this "plateau" is a success at maintaining!
  • MensEtSalvere2013
    MensEtSalvere2013 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    My next goal is 145. I have been going between 146 and 149 since August :/
  • SuperCrsa
    SuperCrsa Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    Yah that 1200 calories goal has got to go....up.

No wonder you are tired.

Try calculating your TDEE and eat that minus 10-20% and up your protien esp if you are lifting.

this..
  • babyluu80
    babyluu80 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Try increasing your calories and protein a little bit. If you're lifting that often, you might need to up your calories to about 1400 and give it about 3-4 weeks to see if the changes help. It sucks but the closer you get to your goal the harder it is. Just change things up a bit so your body doesn't get used to the same old routine.